This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good Job by the UK

edited April 2008 in News
The UK is set to change the laws applying to psychics, mediums and other Randi types. The new laws bring these types of people under the more normal consumer protection laws. The psychics are not happy about this and are worried that they'll be forced to prove that they can predict the future or heal people. It goes without saying that they didn't see it coming.

Comments

• Epic win.
  • I heard about that on The Skeptics Guide. Maybe other contries will follow suit.
  • worried that they'll be forced to prove that they can predict the future or heal people
    Well, they'll just have to prove they can then.
  • "By repealing the Act, the onus will go round the other way and we will have to prove we are genuine," Ms McEntee-Taylor said. "No other religion has to do that."
    I think that last part just clinches the utter stupidity there. Just... a... agh... gyaaaargh. *twitch*

So, yes, way to go UK. Show them Randi bastids!
  • The problem is that if ANYONE is given a license, then it only lends legitimacy to the bullshit. The only way this is gonna work is if the inspectors are smart and aren't going to issue anyone who claims to have supernatural powers a license. Otherwise, this law would be better off just not existing at all.
  • The problem is that if ANYONE is given a license, then it only lends legitimacy to the bullshit. The only way this is gonna work is if the inspectors are smart and aren't going to issue anyone who claims to have supernatural powers a license. Otherwise, this law would be better off just not existing at all.
    Yes. I worry about the same thing.
  • Now, if only we could force religions to prove the existence of god in order to keep their tax-free status...