This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My grandma is a champion.

edited April 2008 in Movies
I've loved the origional Star Wars since I was a wee lad. My late grandfather knew how much I loved the movies, and would often buy me an action figure or two when we went to visit. This was the status quo for many years.

So I'm visiting family for Passover, and my grandma, sister, sister's boyfriend and I are chatting. We start talking about movies and my grandma mentions that she had never actually seen Star Wars. Not a single one. I was astonished that she had never seen any part of them at all, with a grandson like me around. But then she tells us that she got a chance to watch them back-to-back on cable.

She watched ALL SIX movies in one sitting, sipping her gin, grabbing knoshes, and didn't quit until 4 am. I figure she sat through a good twelve hours of movie, and she said she loved all of them! I have a great deal of nostalgia for the old movies, but sitting through all three in a row is a challenge for me, let alone the newer monstrosities. I love the fact that she loved all the movies also!

My grandma is a champion.

Comments

• Amazing, your grandmother is indeed awesome.

Though... this reminds me. I should watch all the Star Wars movies properly for once. Hmmmm, back-to-back, 6 movies on DVD, hmmm. Perhaps something for next weekend if I don't feel like marathoning another anime or movies...
  • Your Grandma is epic.
  • I would have to say that the new trilogy isn't as bad as people say they are. While they are not as good as the original trilogy, they are of a higher quality than the majority of movies out there. With that out of the way, your grandmother truly is awesome.
  • I did that once. It was not easy. Major props to your grandma.
    I would have to say that the new trilogy isn't as bad as people say they are. While they are not as good as the original trilogy, they are of a higher quality than the majority of movies out there. With that out of the way, your grandmother truly is awesome.
    That is true of the third one. That is far from true of the first and especially the second.
  • I defended Episode I after its release, saying that it was necessary to establish the plot and so forth. While I still think that, in retrospect, that movie was an abortion.

Episode II was better, but still not fantastic. I would consider it watchable.

Episode III was pretty damn good, but is not up to par with the original trilogy.
  • I've been planning to do this for a long time but never had the testicles, that's pretty damn cool.
  • Your Grams kicks ass!
  • Is your grandma going to join the 501st? That would be hardcore.
  • It's not even fair to say that Phantom Menace was "an abortion." Strip it of Jar Jar Binks, delete the podracing scene, and replace Jake Lloyd and you have a terrific movie. Darth Maul was epic and should have been kept around to stand in for Count Dooku in the remaining movies.
  • It's not even fair to say that Phantom Menace was "an abortion." Strip it of Jar Jar Binks, delete the podracing scene, and replace Jake Lloyd and you have a terrific movie. Darth Maul was epic and should have been kept around to stand in for Count Dooku in the remaining movies.
    Strip it of Jar Jar Binks, delete the podracing scene, and replace Jake Lloyd and you still have a pretty mediocre movie.

However, I do think that Phantom Menace was markedly better than Attack of the Clones, even with Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd. Attack of the Clones had Dooku, the entire first part of the movie set on Coruscant, and Hayden Fucking Christiansen. God I hate Hayden Christiansen.
  • I still haven't seen any of the new Star Wars movies.
  • Anyone seenThe Phantom Edit?
    Dang, I want to see that. Anyone know where I can get a copy?
  • edited April 2008
    It's not even fair to say that Phantom Menace was "an abortion." Strip it of Jar Jar Binks, delete the podracing scene, and replace Jake Lloyd and you have a terrific movie
    Agreed.
    Darth Maul was epic and should have been kept around to stand in for Count Dooku in the remaining movies.
    Don't agree. Darth Maul was cool but meh compared to Dooku.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Darth Maul was cool but meh compared to Dooku.
    I agree fully on this statement
  • "She watched ALL SIX movies in one sitting, sipping her gin..."
    Buy me a few bottles of wine and I will watch all six back-to-back with you, baby! ^_^
  • "She watched ALL SIX movies in one sitting, sipping her gin..."
    Buy me a few bottles of wine and I will watch all six back-to-back with you, baby! ^_^
    Even I don't want to watch all 6 back to back. :D
  • Anyone seenThe Phantom Edit?
    Thank you very much :)