This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Still Thinking With Portals?

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
So I know I haven't posted here in at least six months, but I thought the gamers among you might be interested in this it's my new (first!) Portal map; I decided to learn how to use the source SDK as a project after playing some custom portal maps, and after about 5 months of swearing and general abuse of the Valve Developer Wiki search box by offspring is done! The map follows a short story, with a nod to everyone's favourite song at the end, it comprises of 3 test chambers and a medium sized behind the scenes area. While sticking to standard test chamber logic I've designed a 'couple of new portal fizzlers, and a new fizzler mechanism which I really enjoyed. If you enjoy it, I suggest you try any of the other maps on thinkingwithportals.com, but some of the best are: Snakepit, Rainbow Palace, Logic Portals and the RenTest series. A walk-through will soon be up on Youtube if you're really stuck, but you can bug me for hints if you must ^_^ all I can say is good luck, and criticism is welcome.

Edit:: Screenshots are Here and I apologize for the composition; I'm no artist ;-)
Edit 2:: Youtube is here

Comments

• How hard is the Source SDK then? I wanted to try putting some of my theories about TF2 maps into practice but haven't really tried.
  • Leaning to use hammer (the map editor) isn't too hard. All you really need is some knowlage of basic input/output functions, which you'll pick up as you go, but optimisation can be tricky; you need to understand how the compiler builds you map into different sections. It's probably best to start mapping for something like Portal as the geometry is very square and clean, if you're interested in getting started it'll be best to read a few tutorials first, try Half Wit 2, and the Valve developer Wiki is invaluable. 'The Snark Pit' and 'Interloopers' have some good stuff too, and ThinkingWithPortals is great for Portal-specific mapping.
  • It's a pretty good map. I like it.

The only thing is, I bugged it. *spoiler?* At the part where there's a T-junction and one is left and two is right, I lost the cube in 2 because it was going through the portal and I hit the field, removing the portals... */spoiler*
    Also, sometimes it relies more on speed/skill then on wits/intelligence.