This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Was this a nervous dumb guy or something else?

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I work at the airport and a guy asked me if I had scissors. I did but I can't let others use them. (It's an airport sigh) He asked me to cut his hotel key in half. I asked "Why? Aren't you supposed to give it back?" He answered "I heard they have your card information and other stuff about you on them." I looked at him oddly and I replied "They get that anyway when you pay for the room. I seriously doubt it's on your key card. It just lets you in a room." "Yeah, but I think my stuff is on there! I want to be safe!" he said nervously. I cut the card and gave it to him. As he walked away I looked at him stupidly and went back to my comicking.

Okay, am I missing something here? Your card info on a hotel key card? It sounds stupid unless there's something I don't know. Is there or was this guy really a nervous mehmeh boy?

Comments

• Just some paranoid guy. The card just lets you into your room.
  • Not only that, he's not a very good paranoid guy. He didn't de-magnetize the card's strip and then dump it in acid. If you're going to be paranoid, at least keep yourself to a higher standard.
  • I seriously doubt it has any information on it. In fact, I know it doesn't. You can always just go to the front desk and ask for a new card with only your name and room number.

Just a nervous guy who didn't want his identity stolen, I guess...
  • People will believe anything that sounds right.
    Failing that, they'll find new, weird shit to believe.
  • No guys, they really do hold your information. It's a plot by the Freemasons to make people believe the moon landings actually took place. That, and the corporations trying to keep medical innovation down so they can reap huge profits at the expense of the people. This proves on 9/11 the towers shouldn't have fallen. Also: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4th, 50 years to the day after the US declared its independence. Coincidence? You decide. What? You say all those things aren't related, and don't even make sense? That's exactly what Theyâ„¢ want you to think! OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!
  • Just as I thought. Paranoid mehmeh guy. It sounded too stupid to be true so I didn't believe him.
    No guys, they really do hold your information. It's a plot by the Freemasons to make people believe the moon landings actually took place. That, and the corporations trying to keep medical innovation down so they can reap huge profits at the expense of the people. This proves on 9/11 the towers shouldn't have fallen. Also: John AdamsandThomas Jefferson died on July 4th, 50 years to the day after the US declared its independence. Coincidence? You decide. What? You say all those things aren't related, and don't even make sense? That's exactly what They™ want you to think! OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!
    Don't forget the illuminati. XD
  • OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!
    But do you know what the queers are doing to the soil? Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick!
  • True story: some guy at an airport tried to tell me that aliens had come here to earth, and planted everything we know to exist, including our memories and history. He also tried to tell me some big celebrity was into it, like some guy from Mission Impossible or something. His ideas were obviously batshit-crazy, but they entertained me for a bit.
  • True story: some guy at an airport tried to tell me that aliens had come here to earth, and planted everything we know to exist, including our memories and history. He also tried to tell me some big celebrity was into it, like some guy from Mission Impossible or something. His ideas were obviously batshit-crazy, but they entertained me for a bit.
    Ha, nobody will ever buy into that.
    This made me lulz tonight! :P
  • The hotel is going to charge him money for not returning the key.
    Dark City is a good movie.
    Those key cards cost nearly nothing. The reason that hotels have switched to key cards is because they are disposable. When you get the room the clerk swipes the card which keys both the door and the card with a number. When a new guest uses the same room, the door and the new card are keyed with a new number.
  • Those key cards cost nearly nothing.
    Most hotels still charge $5-$15 dollars if you don't return it. Why not? It's an excuse to get a little more money.
    edited April 2008
    Those key cards cost nearly nothing.
    Most hotels still charge $5-$15 dollars if you don't return it. Why not? It's an excuse to get a little more money.
    Yup. And all those keycards contain is a simple code to unlock the door. Also, a door has no need to know your birthday is two days from now, you were circumsized and that you're married to another man.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Those key cards cost nearly nothing.
    Well then, I didn't realize that. I don't think i've ever been charged for my keys, but I will make sure to check my bill for that fee from now on.
  • ..your married to another man.
    You're?
    Anyway, the card doesn't need to know that, it's the Pope. He controls all the hotels. The card reads your mind and after the card is returned, it's send to the Pope. Also, manufacturing mind reading cards is costful, but the price is reduced by child labor. That's why they charge you those dollars. It's the guy's fault for not wearing tin foil hats. Ten of them at once.
  • ..yourmarried to another man.
    You're?
    GAH! Stupid Firefox updates and those slow add-on updaters. Lack of squigly lines = Nine not checking a lot.
  • ..yourmarried to another man.
    You're?
    Anyway, the card doesn't need to know that, it's the Pope. He controls all the hotels. The card reads your mind and after the card is returned, it's send to the Pope. Also, manufacturing mind reading cards is costful, but the price is reduced by child labor. That's why they charge you those dollars. It's the guy's fault for not wearing tin foil hats. Ten of them at once.
    Well the Pope was in Washington DC last week! It makes so much sense! *puts on tin hat and arms herself*
    I keep keys as souvenirs (stupid, I know). I've never been charged for a key.
    Don't you have to pay a, damn, what's it called again. Stupid lack of recollection. Don't you have to pay money in advance for the keys which you'll get back when you hand in the keys?
  • The magnetic ones are essentially disposable. Hotels that use traditional keys will most certainly charge you a fee if you lose the key.
    I have yet to be charged for a hotel key as well. What the fuck is Scrym talking about?
  • What the fuck is Scrym talking about?
    I was charged by the Baltimore Renaissance Hotel for a lost key. I was also charged by the hotel we stayed at during Penguicon for a lost key. The Katsucon hotel clearly stated that there was a $5 charge for lost keys on the little key envelope they gave me.

Maybe my hotel stays are atypical, but I've generally been charged or warned of charges for losing those plastic keys.
  • edited April 2008
    It's just plain old paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.

I for example worked for a few weeks for DPD (just to make sure since I don't know how widespread they are, DPD is a parcel service like UPS). On one day I had a package for some guy. He's not home but his wife is. I ask her if she takes it and she has to call up her husband at work to make sure that he is expecting a package as if people get packages deliver for no reason. After she confirmed it I ask for her signature. She refuses to sign on the scanner because her signature could be "electronically duplicated". So then I had to find a form which we normally never use anymore and fill it out so she could sign it on paper.

It normally takes without the drive about 2 minutes to deliver a package (parking, grabing the package out of the trunk, waiting for the person to come to the door, sign here please, get back into the car). This one took 15.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited April 2008
    The first time I watched Blade Runner, I was kind of confused when Harrison Ford used a keycard. Now remember this was 1982 . . . I had never heard of such a thing. After the movie I started thinking about it, and with a little research it became obvious that a card could store information that would act as a key. I didn't see one in real life until 1998. I said to my wife, "Wow, this is just like Blade Runner!" She didn't get the reference.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If the guy was coming from Disney World, I can understand why he was so adamant on getting it cut up. The hotels there can connect your room card to your credit card and you can use the room key like a debit card. If this was the case, he probably just wanted to stop the flow of money to that card.
  • It's just plain old paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.

I for example worked for a few weeks for DPD (just to make sure since I don't know how widespread they are, DPD is a parcel service like UPS). On one day I had a package for some guy. He's not home but his wife is. I ask her if she takes it and she has to call up her husband at work to make sure that he is expecting a package as if people get packages deliver for no reason. After she confirmed it I ask for her signature. She refuses to sign on the scanner because her signature could be "electronically duplicated". So then I had to find a form which we normally never use anymore and fill it out so she could sign it on paper.

It normally takes without the drive about 2 minutes to deliver a package (parking, grabing the package out of the trunk, waiting for the person to come to the door, sign here please, get back into the car). This one took 15.
    Man... some people...

But in all seriousness, the total amount of control and paranoia in this world has increased far beyond what is/was needed. What you would be laughed out of the room for doing even just ten or fifteen years ago is something the federal government could now mandate you do.