This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080423 - Maris the Chojo

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Maris the Chojo. In the news, we outline our experiences at the New York Comic Con 2008, including our interview with T.M.Revolution for TokyoFM at Kinokuniya after the convention.

Scott's Thing - Will Eisner's Preventative Maintenance
Rym's Thing - 41 Hours in an Elevator

Comments

• By the way, Maris the Chojo is pages 111-134. Technically more ten pages. My very sad, very broken copy of Rumic World Trilogy could come up for the reading purposes.

And, Firetripper is way better and equally as long with a good deal more content.
  • Speaking of contests... *still waits for his prize from last year's "Worst Podcast" Contest* ^_~
  • FYI: At about 10am GMT, all the mp3 links turned into 404 errors.
  • *still waits for his prize from last year's "Worst Podcast" Contest*
    Ouch!
  • FYI: At about 10am GMT, all the mp3 links turned into 404 errors.
    The links are still not working.
  • The links are still not working.
    They work fine for me. I just downloaded the show again.
  • I just tried to download it from itunes and it worked, but when I tried it here I got a 404 error again
  • I can now download fine. Probably something with Lybsin.
  • I can now download fine. Probably something with Lybsin.
    Libsyn has a distributed system, so it's entirely possible that outages would affect some listeners but not others.

Fear not, however. As we get more popular, we're definitely looking to ditch Libsyn at the earliest opportunity. ^_~
  • Now that I try it, it also gives me a 404 error. It affects all of the shows for me.
  • Hmmmm, it gives a 404 again here too. I was able to download it between Rym's post and Ninjarabbi's last post.
  • I'm getting a 404 right now.
  • I'm getting a 404 right now.
    It's definitely a localized issue. I just downloaded the last four shows fine. (Actually, it was super fast, faster than usual).
  • edited April 2008
    Regarding your contests and perhaps why you don't get many entries...I think a good cause is because you gave us a school assignment. I have to do 5 paragraph papers for my English class. The last thing I want to do is another 5 paragraph paper on top of all the other homework I have.

I think the things Dave and Joel do for contests are the best ways to go about doing contests (at least for geek-centric shows).

Now, sure, you guys can (and probably will) say something like "Well, fuck you, highschoolers!". Feel free to say that, but if you do say that, don't complain about not getting many contest entries.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Yes but that also gives you more of a chance to win if your willing to put in the effort to do so. If you really want to win the prize, you will enter. This in turn will act as a filter to get rid of those entries that people send in just because it is a contest and they like free stuff.
  • If I was stuck in an elevator for 42 hours, I would go ape shit. I wouldn't have cell phone, since my parents won't get me one, so help would be out of the question.
    What I don't get is that there is a guy at about 20 hours who's servicing the elevators and he does all three but never checks the 30th car and never hears the bell.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes but that also gives you more of a chance to win if your willing to put in the effort to do so. If you really want to win the prize, you will enter. This in turn will act as a filter to get rid of those entries that people send in just because it is a contest and they like free stuff.
    Yes, and I'm sure that's what Rym and Scott intended. In turn, it also led to a low amount of people entering...and then they complained about it.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I've participated in their so called "Contests" before and have gotten jack shit in prizes. Where is my swag you owe me for the worst podcast contest?
  • I've participated in their so called "Contests" before and have gotten jack shit in prizes. Where is my swag you owe me for the worst podcast contest?
    When we finally make swag, we will send it out to all the neglected contest winners of the past.
    When we finally make swag, we will send it out to all the neglected contest winners of the past.
    Ok, thanks Scott. ^^
  • Thanks for the link to the Will Eisner site of his work during the war years. I loved the Spirit magazines. The Spirit provoked an emotional response from its reader through the story and artwork. I just hope the movie does not slaughter what this great artist has created.
  • about the contest:
    sorry to say but in general essay = boring
    Was the winning worth reading? did you post it?

Some ideas for interesting contests:
    -photoshop something based on a theme (everyone in the forums can look laugh and post)
    -Have a cartoon with empty caption boxes and funniest caption wins (again simple and fun)
    -funniest 20 second user generated audio clip of ... (cool for being played on a podcast)

I'm not saying an essay can't be cool. However, the topic you chose doesn't seem that interesting (though I am happy to be proven wrong).

Man, I'd love to talk with you guys via skype. However, I can't do it for a few weeks. Let me know if any of these topics interest you, Here's my expertise:
    -Video codecs (that's what I do, perhaps interesting on a monday)
    -speaking Japanese / marrying a Japanese woman
    -playing the guitar (although this topic would certainly entail some strumming and skype may not be ideal)
    -why one piece is awesome and you are all wrong!
    -cc mixter and why it is awesome ...sometimes (ccmixter.org)

Shoot me an email and let me know if that seems interesting to you.
  • Hmm, bigryan you are wise in the ways of contests. You have me thinking. A good contest will be one where everybody enjoys looking all the entries. Our next contest will definitely be high quality thanks to your suggestion. I guarantee it.
  • I have seen all three of the other OVAs in CPM's Rumic World quadrilogy - Laughing Target, Fire Tripper, and Mermaid Forest. Maris the Chojo was the only one I hadn't seen yet, and I couldn't find it anywhere, which frustrated me to no end. Now that I hear your review of it, I'm kind of glad I didn't find it sooner, as I don't think I would have appreciated its humour and references as much as I would now.

Oh mans, I would love to be on Skype with you guys, but I know I'm not the most interesting person you could choose to talk to. ^^;; If it matters at all, I've had a podcast for the past year and a half, and while it never got super popular, no one ever said anything bad about it. I'm hopefully going to start up a new and better one within the next month or so.
  • Hey, this is the guy you had drinks with at Katsucon (name's Andrew by the way) You should get my friend (Beard Guy from Katsucon) on Skype and interview him for the show.
  • I'm old enough to have had the commercial Supergal VHS release, back before they got sued and had to change the name! Good Lord...