This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Vacuum Cleaners

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
A short time ago the geek haus vacuum cleaner bit the dust, so to speak. It was always a piece of shit, and Rym's hairs took their toll over the years.

So I've done a bit of research on vacuums, but I don't know enough to make a decision. The Internet seems to be in love with these Dyson machines. I saw the Dysons in the store, but they are way too gimmicky looking. I can't trust something that looks like that.

Can someone offer some vacuum advice? We don't want to spend a bazillion dollars, but we want a quality vacuum.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Yeah, it caught on fire when I was using it to clean my bedroom. Burning rubber smoke! So, Alex and I need information on vacuum cleaners as well.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2008
    OOI: How many rooms does the house have?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The Geekhaus has 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, a living room, and a kitchen. My bedroom is detached from the main residence. In other words, I have an apartment.
  • OOI: How many rooms does the house have?
    There are three carpeted rooms, one carpeted staircase, and one carpeted hallway. There are two linoleum floored bathrooms, and one linoleum floored hallway. One wood floored kitchen. Mostly we need the vacuum for the carpets. The rest we have taken care of with brooms and mops.
  • OOI: How many rooms does the house have?
    We need to be able to scale. Our future house will likely be much larger.
  • My family has used Dysons for several years now and they are great, you just might have to look for a decent color. ^^
  • My family has used Dysons for several years now and they are great, you just might have to look for a decent color. ^^
    I agree on the Dyson. We have one, and it works pretty good.
  • When I was stationed in Germany I owned a vacuum cleaner made by Hitachi (yeah, the consumer electronics company). It was the best little vac I ever owned. It was super quiet too.

Sadly it was 220 and did not return to the states with me.

Currently we have an upright bag-less vac, not sure who makes it. We buy a new one every two years because some plastic part on them always breaks.
  • edited April 2008
    We have a hoover canister vacuum its about 10 years old and still works good. Had to replace a belt in every few years but wasn't too hard and the belts are cheap. If i were to get a new one I would get the Hoover Duros Canister Vac. Price ranges around $123-150.

Post edited by Alan on
  • Oh, that's the one my parents have. I've actually been looking at a canister vac style.
  • Oh, that's the one my parents have. I've actually been looking at a canister vac style.
    Yeah, it seems like it is easier to clean in tight places with the canister style.
  • Yeah, it seems like it is easier to clean in tight places with the canister style.
    Yeah. It really depends on the layout of your living space. If you have large carpeted rooms, a standup vacuum is practically a must. If you have many smaller rooms, non-carpeted floors, lots of stairs, or pretty-much ANY configuration other than "a few big carpeted rooms," canisters are teh business.

I suppose there's also the central system option, but I've always been highly dubious of their value in anything less than a mansion.
  • I suppose there's also the central system option, but I've always been highly dubious of their value in anything less than a mansion.
    The central system can also be good in an apartment building, multi-family home, etc. The size of the building is large enough to make it efficient, and people can share the attachments.

I'll see if I can't get a vacuum this weekend maybe.
  • I'll see if I can't get a vacuum this weekend maybe.
    I'll trust your judgement: you're as resistant to over-priced vacuums as I am. ^_~
  • Is the Dyson really soooo good that it's with spending a ton of money on? I've heard that it really isn't better than vacuums that are half the price. I think that there are a lot of fanboys, thus the ratings.

Best bet... get Consumer Reports. They aren't fanboys and they don't lie.
  • Best bet... get Consumer Reports. They aren't fanboys and they don't lie.
    Yeah, Consumer Reports is trustworthy. However, there's no way I'm willing to pay for a magazine while the Internet exists. It's also not worth my time to go raiding doctor's waiting rooms. Maybe I'll go to the news stand in the train station and try to take a peek off the rack. If there are no vacuum reviews in the latest issue, I'll go without.
  • Is the Dyson reallysoooogood that it's with spending a ton of money on?
    Probably not. I imagine we'll just get some vacuum that does the job for cheap.
  • I've bought a refurbished vacuum off Amazon for $30. It does the job well enough.
  • However, there's no way I'm willing to pay for a magazine while the Internet exists.
    You most likely won't find it in the current issue. If your willing to spend a few bucks, you can get all of that information online.
  • You most likely won't find it in the current issue. If your willing to spend a few bucks, you can get all of that information online.
    Yeah, not going to spend money to figure out what to spend money on.
  • My rich college roommate had a purple Dyson. That's the one specifically designed for people with allergies to pets and dust(mites). I have to say it was the best vacuum cleaner I have used to this day.

However, I'm not sure the additional benefit is worth the additional expense...there's a point of diminishing returns. If you have the money to spend, and you want a great, quiet vacuum, get a Dyson. If not...

I'm a fan of the ones that don't require bags in general. They tend to bother my allergies less...the Dyson was nice because it didn't blow dusty air out of an exhaust vent. However, I have a bagless vacuum with a pretty decent filter that I got at some supermarket store for fairly cheap. It does the job plenty well. I just have to make sure I clean out the trap every so often. Don't know what brand it is off the top of my head, but the features seem to be more important than the brand name when you go for middling price range on these things.
  • Yeah, not going to spend money to figure out what to spend money on.
    Sometimes the investment is worth it. A blanket rule will do you no good in the long run. Try to be flexible. I know it's hard. ;-)
  • Yeah, not going to spend money to figure out what to spend money on.
    Sometimes the investment is worth it. A blanket rule will do you no good in the long run. Try to be flexible. I know it's hard. ;-)
    I guess as long as the Internet exists, I feel bad paying for what I could get for free.
  • I feel bad paying for what I could get for free.
    You can get anecdotal evidence from the internet. You can get scientific evidence from Consumer Reports. You decide.
  • I feel bad paying for what I could get for free.
    You can get anecdotal evidence from the internet. You can get scientific evidence from Consumer Reports. You decide.
    Anyone know of any Consumer Reports torrents?
  • Oh my god. Pirate Bay actually has torrents with scans of Consumer Reports.

All bow before the mighty Internets.
  • Oh my god. Pirate Bay actually has torrents with scans of Consumer Reports.

All bow before the mighty Internets.
    Or you could just go to your local library. I would go to the one in Danbury (where I work) but since they put in the Internet PCs the place is always packed with homeless folks using the computers and sleeping in the chairs. It used to be usable but, unlike the other libraries I visit, the Danbury one does not restrict the amount of time you can use the PCs for.

I was standing behind one guy as his timer clicked down under a minute. As soon as it hit zero and booted him off he just put his library card number back in and he was back on. All the other libraries near me enforce a ten minute break before you can sign in again.

The suck thing is that the Danbury library has a large selection of manga. Larger than many book stores. Because the "dirty" people see them as comics they treat them as such and the covers quickly turn brown or black. I'm not a big germ freak but when the cover of a book has more crud on it than the tools at the jiffylube I tend to not want to touch them.
  • Look for their annual buying guide. That will have vacuum cleaner reviews.
  • My rich college roommate had a purple Dyson. That's the one specifically designed for people with allergies to pets and dust(mites).
    We have the vacuum you're talking about, since we had three dogs, two cats, and one rat (chihuahua). The thing is a monster! We gave the first one to my sister, that just bought a house and got the newer version of it, and it's even better. It's worth the money if you plan on having a big house, and don't want to mess with buying a new one for a while, especially if there's going to be any pets.
  • Dyson makes a vacuum in a perfect color for Scrym.