This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A fucked up view of the Internet

As some of you may already know there was the recent incident in which a girl was beaten for a youtube video. Sad as it is that someone got the shit beaten out of them and that poor girl is going to have trouble trusting people for the rest of her life. But what gets me really any is the interview with these parents who are so disconnected from the internet that they call myspace "the Anti christ" but the internet as a whole. This goes to show that there are people out there who have no concept of what is on the interent and to the degree to call it "the AntiChrist." I have some much I want to say but I don't know how.
watch this video and tell me what you think. Just watch the first 5 minutes and ignore the rest.

Comments

• The second guy, ranting about the psychopathic breeding grounds, looked like a psychopath himself.

But seriously... it's like calling movies the anti-Christ because of snuff films.
  • Actually, antichrist is the right word.

1) The Internet is doing a much better job than Christ did at spreading information
    2) A significant portion of that information is against (anti) religion
  • Myspace... the anti-christ? Something tells me he knows a lot more about the internet than you give him credit for.
  • Myspace vs the anti-christ?
    It sounds like it could be a Lewis Black's Root of All Evil episode.
  • I have a feeling the anti-christ would win, because, lets face it, myspace is filled mostly with emo kids and people with a lot of talk. Anti-christ would probably kick its whiny ass.
  • The funny thing is though is that he called it "mytube, myspace..." he can't keep it straight. He blames myspace but it was youtube that was the one who was involved in it. Myspace is not to blame at all here. It's just that he is so thick headed that he can't get the name straight.
  • It just makes me mad that they blame the internet for this. The girl who did this probably would have done this even without you-tube. The other day we were talking about this in English class and the teacher said that things like this didn't didn't happen when the internet wasn't around. This pissed me off for a couple of reasons: The first is that people beat the shit out of each other a long time before the internet. The second is that how do you know that things like this didn't happen? There was no internet to tell you if they did.
  • edited April 2008
    The second is that how do you know that things like this didn't happen? There was no internet to tell you if they did.
    That's why the internet seems like a horrible place. All this stuff happened before, but, with the invention of the internet, it's all just a click away. Within 2 minutes, you could pull up a pedophile, racist, and anti-religion website. It's not that hard. That's what happens when you have an unstoppable spread of information. Sometimes you're gonna see things you don't want to.

But the biggest problem I have with that youtube video: Why didn't she fight back? I mean, what the hell?
    Post edited by mattytehhax0r on
  • edited April 2008

But the biggest problem I have with that youtube video: Why didn't she fight back? I mean, what the hell?
    Agreed. She didn't even try! I would of grabbed a lamp or something! At least pulled some punches! That girl took it like a bitch.
    Post edited by Viga on