This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu vs. Viga part two

edited April 2008 in Technology
Okay, I went to upgrade my 7.10 so I could try the new 8.04. I go to the update manager and it says:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

So I'm like no prob! I go to run it in the terminal and it says this.

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL) [*].

I know the last one isn't it but out of the others which is the one that will help with this. I tried the first one and it gives me a bunch of options but it's not clear to me. Sorry if it's obvious and dumbshit, but I really don't get it. Sorry.

Comments

• What exactly did you type on the terminal? You should type this, exactly.
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
  • edited April 2008
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    cupsys

What does the Common UNIX Printing System have to do with this? Oh well it's working now! Thanks, Scott! ^_^ I just typed dpkg --configure -a and didn't put in the sudo.

<3
    Post edited by Viga on
  • What does the Common UNIX Printing System have to do with this?
    dpkg had trouble installing cupsys packages. Just do some sudo aptitude update followed by some sudo aptitude dist-upgrade and your packages will sort themselves out.
  • edited April 2008
    Even worse problem. My comp shut off in the middle of installing from the updates and now it's just a black screen with white text saying:

[minimal BASH-like line editing is supported for the first word, TAB list possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device]

I have no idea what this means nor what to do. T_T
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Even worse problem. My comp shut off in the middle of installing from the updates and now it's just a black screen with white text saying:

[minimal BASH-like line editing is supported for the first word, TAB list possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device]

I have no idea what this means nor what to do. T_T
    What was it doing right before it crashed?
  • It updated and started installing something having to do with it. Otherwise I was just looking at sites as usual.