This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

An alternative to Google Docs

edited April 2008 in Technology
Hey all,

I've been listening to the Monday nights podcasts for a while now and just recently the one about fresh installs (sorry I'm lagging behind the podcasts). I recall Scott mentioning about not needing to install any "office apps" since there is Google Docs. I completely agree with him. I avidly use Google Docs. I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to rely on the Redmond Mega Monster Apps anymore.

I've found another site like Google Docs that I'd like to share with you all. It's hosted at zoho.com. I'm not sure if you guys have mentioned it ever, either in the forums or in a podcast (I did a search and nothing came up in the forms). Try it out. I think it's a little bit more refined than Google Docs. Don't get me wrong though...I still like the simplicity of Google Docs, and I do use it frequently.

Tob

Comments

• Wow. A listener creates an account a couple of hours ago and their first (and only) post is to tell us about a product/service?
  • Nah. You guys are making something else out of it.

Unless this is the only post he makes.
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah, if this is the only post he makes then the truth is obivous. If not...

The Truth is Out There...

Sorry, I've been on an X-Files kick recently. I'll stop now.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I tried X-Files and hated it forever. Then again it was many years ago. I wonder if I watched it now would my opinion change?
  • I tried X-Files and hated it forever. Then again it was many years ago. I wonder if I watched it now would my opinion change?
    It sure makes for some funny parodies, though.
    It sure makes for some funny parodies, though.
    I like The Simpsons one.
  • Wow we got a lot of skeptics here huh? Do you guys get a lot of ad spams here?

Well anyway take it anyway you guys want...I just thought anyone who might like Google Docs might be interested in zoho...I always hear Scott mentioning on the podcast about Google Docs being awesome so I figured like minds might like to try other products as well...

I was in college when X-Files came out and so I only saw a few episodes (since I didn't own a TV back then). I thought it was pretty cool until they started introducing vampires. Don't get me wrong. I like vampires, but I didn't feel they fit with the story. Anyway this thread isn't about X-Files so I'll stop here.
  • I haven't really used any online document web apps, but if your using Microsoft Office you might want to check out Office Live Workspace. There's plug-ins for Office applications to interact with it. They give you a lot of outlines for projects and the organization of everything on it looks easier to use than Google Docs.
    Again this is only at a glance. I don't really have a need to save any of the papers I write, being in High School and not caring.
  • edited April 2008
    I don't think that this guy's just here to advertise... Zoho is actually pretty respected in the geek blog community (at the very least, lifehacker and cybernetnews, probably some others).

All in all, I'd be open to trying it...but at the moment, Google docs works fine for what I need and I would rather not create yet another account for something on the web that may or may not get much use.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Wow we got a lot of skeptics here huh? Do you guys get a lot of ad spams here?
    No, we don't. I'm not sure what set everyone on the defense.
  • Yes to skeptics, no to spam.
  • We're afraid of smudges on the ivory tower.
  • edited April 2008
    But doesn't Scott always complain that google gears doesn't work with google docs on his Mac?
    Anyway, I would have got up a post count before talking about some product if I was attempting to infiltrate a forum. This gives me an idea. We must infiltrate geek forums and inform them of the wonders of Geeknights.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    On the contrary, as far as I know there has never been spam on this forum till this date. (Unless you count the first banned's posts as spam).

However I'm sure every person on this forum has seen or been part of forums which get/got a lot of ad spam, and thus know the symptoms that make for potential ad spam, i.e. first post advertising something in some way by an account that has been barely created. This being, as many like to call it, an ivory tower of at least some intelligence on the internet results in the people here wanting to keep this tower from collapsing by hordes of spam and shitcockers.

On the other hand it should be noted that HMTKSteve was the first to reply here and is pretty much the only one who really was concerned about your post being spam. You see, he's our resident SEO blogging fanatic (no offense meant HMTK) and probably deals a lot with spam in comments on his web pages thus potentially has a greater fear of them invading the FRC forums. As you can see Speckospock instantly made fun of this paranoia with a reference and after that there wasn't any real skeptic talk worth mentioning, only X-files talk. That brings me to my conclusions, what made you say there were a lot of skeptics here out of only 2/3 skeptic posts? Where only 1 is worth mentioning and the others talking about it being stupid paranoia.

Anyways, welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay, get an avatar for yourself (that way I might remember you), and have fun. As for the zoho stuff, I don't use Google Docs a ton, but it does exactly what I need, when I need it, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Which means I won't bother finding and testing other options.
  • edited April 2008
    Unless you count the first banned's posts as spam
    Could Rym or Scott update the rules sticky to include the second guy who got banned.
    I think this guy might be legit. If he was spamming, 1) It would show up in google or on other forums (I think more checking is needed tho.) and 2) He might not have checked back in to see the response.

For the sake of fairness, I say we round up some online office style solutions and talk about them.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thinkfree is an online office suite of sorts. Existed before Google Docs iirc.
  • OpenOffice also exists. And if you need just a word processor, Abiword is the way to go.
  • Today I got a free 1gb USB stick with some ink I ordered and have been trying the portableapps.org programs. Abiword seems a bit basic but this stick is particularly slow so I don't want to try OO. All you would need was some way of uploading your stuff automatically then being able to pull it back down with the software.
  • edited April 2008
    OpenOffice also exists. And if you need just a word processor, Abiword is the way to go.
    online office style solutions and talk about them.
    Yes, I can foresee getting bitched at and ganged up on by you guys because I *gasp* went again something Scott said...but really, ok, the topic at hand is online apps, then Scott brings up non online apps...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • That brings me to my conclusions, what made you say there were a lot of skeptics here out of only 2/3 skeptic posts? Where only 1 is worth mentioning and the others talking about it being stupid paranoia.
    Yeah I guess I should have thought more about what I wrote before I wrote it...I'm new at posting in forums so I guess I was just a little surprised to see the first responses to my very first post (ever) being about whether I was legit or not LOL.

I've never participated in these kind of community forums, but after listening to geek nights for a while now, and hearing Rym and Scott mentioning about this forum over and over again, I was compelled to check it out. And so far I've found it quite amusing...I think I'll stick around a bit, as long as you guys don't ban me, presuming that I'm a "rat" LOL...
    Anyway, I would have got up a post count before talking about some product if I was attempting to infiltrate a forum.
    Yeah that makes sense...well at least now LOL. Yeah, it's my lack of experience with forums...I'm a forum noob, virgin, whatever you want to call it.
    Anyways, welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay, get an avatar for yourself (that way I might remember you), and have fun.
    Thanks! I'll work on an avatar when I figure out what it should be...
  • legit or not LOL. ..."rat" LOL... ...at least now LOL.
    If you are laughing out loud that much, I'd say Santa Claus is on the FRC forums.