This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hardy Heron Issues

edited April 2008 in Technology
Updating to Hard Heron through the Update Manager was a pretty smooth transition, except for my Sunbird Calendar. I keep getting the error message when trying to open Sunbird,

"The calendar data is your profile was updated by a newer version of Calendar, and continuing will probably cause the information to be lost or corrupted. Calendar will now quit."

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions?

Comments

• It seems like what happened is this. You had a Sunbird calendar with Sunbird version X. You then opened that calendar with Sunbird version X+1. Sunbird version X+1 updated the calendar to be in a new format. Now you are trying to open that calendar with Sunbird version X, and it is warning you. Use version X+1, and you will not have any problems.
  • I would look around for the hidden Mozilla Sunbird folder and make a backup before trying anything.
    My RAM seems to have shrunk, this might be something to do with a change in the graphics card. After a while my system go so slow.
  • I just reloaded Ubuntu and Windows XP (accidentally deleted all my data in the process...). When I was using the live CD, it tried to install BC43xxfwcutter, for my wireless card, but since I didn't have a wired connection, I couldn't download the firmware I needed to install the wireless card. Being a noob, I decided to take my computer down to the router for the package to download itself, rather than figuring out where to get/put the wireless firmware.
    Everything worked downstairs, and when I brought it back up to my room I got timeout errors for my USB in the back of my computer. I then left, quite pissed off, for about 2 hours. I came back and tried starting the computer with only my keyboard in, and it's working fin now. Any idea why I would get this error? The only thing I unplugged was my USB mouse...
  • I tried to get a Hardy server running in a Virtualbox, and that doesn't work a virtualbox doesn't support PAE. Installing a new kernel now, but downloading is hella slow, a lot of people are installing shit, the repositories are crying.
  • I just reinstalled on my dual boot winxp/ubuntu desktop, and grub is being mean to me now. It seems Hardy replaced whatever they were using before to handle HDDs and such with "uuid," and that seems to have caused my drive to be unreadable? Perhaps I should try with a different drive, because that makes no sense to me.

I actually just installed hardy fresh on a client's pc (yes, I do tech support. Yes, I'm subverting Microsoft by installing ubuntu on customers' computers when they've got severe spam/virus problems, and only need a browser and office suite.). I have to say, it seems to run perfectly on standard Dell hardware, and it was a breeze to set up. I haven't really checked out the changes, so I can't give any opinion on new features.
  • edited April 2008
    I tried to get a Hardy server running in a Virtualbox, and that doesn't work a virtualbox doesn't support PAE. Installing a new kernel now, but downloading is hella slow, a lot of people are installing shit, the repositories are crying.
    Yeah, it was slow for me too. I installed ubuntu onto my windows partition using wubi.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Still haven't upgraded. Probably not until after the weekend. No time.
  • Voila, clean install. Everything works. Now I still have to wait till all my extensions for Firefox get updated to Firefox 3b5. Works nice, audacious gave some trouble with complaining about not having an output plugin and then locking up. All works now.
  • Voila, clean install. Everything works. Now I still have to wait till all my extensions for Firefox get updated to Firefox 3b5. Works nice, audacious gave some trouble with complaining about not having an output plugin and then locking up. All works now.
    Yeah, Ubuntu has this thing that automatically installs codecs for audio and video. However, it only works if you use totem or whatever. I suggest playing a bunch of videos and audios in totem to get all of the codecs installed automatically.
    Yeah, Ubuntu has this thing that automatically installs codecs for audio and video. However, it only works if you use totem or whatever. I suggest playing a bunch of videos and audios in totem to get all of the codecs installed automatically.
    I hate Totem. And Rhythmbox. Audacious and mplayer meet all my needs.
    I hate Totem. And Rhythmbox. Audacious and mplayer meet all my needs.
    I agree. What I'm saying is to just use totem on a few files to get the codecs to install.
  • Voila, clean install. Everything works. Now I still have to wait till all my extensions for Firefox get updated to Firefox 3b5.
    I never thought I would miss delicious this much. I hope it gets updated to 3b5 soon.
  • I can't record anything anymore. The day after I get my new microphone and mixer. Wow, this sucks..
  • I've now, because of my frustration, downloaded and installed Fedora. It works wonderfully! ^_~