This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Flamewars vs LOLCats

edited April 2008 in Flamewars
In this post myself gave me an idea I want to test. To do so, we need to start a flamewar, get it nice and hot, then have people on one side of the argument include lolcats in their posts (one lolcat per post but nice and big.) and see how this affects the argument with people free to post their thoughts on both the argument and the lolcats.
The reason for only having one side of an argument using the lolcat is that in other forums, a user could use lolcats to protect themselves and hopefully defuse an argument.
My theory is that the inclusion of lolcats in posts could be harnessed by way of an extension that allowed an administrator to flag a thread for lolbombing and the extension would place a lolcat at the top of each subsequent post.
Any ideas and/or sugestions?

Comments

• The problem is finding a proper topic which will result in a proper flame war. Thus far we have had many somewhat intelligent discussions. Very few proper flame wars if you ask me.
  • edited April 2008
    I would love to participate in such a holy crusade. I suggest our horde should come rushing out of our ivory tower to destroy some other part of the internets though; the tower itself is sacred and should be kept free of fire.
    The automatic lolbombing extension seems like it would be difficult to implement in a way that would produce not only lolcats, but appropriate ones.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2008
    I suppose making something that could pick the right and funny would be harder than getting Microsoft to make an innovative product, wouldn't it, Sail.
    We must lead a holy intelligent crusade! Onwards to Jerusalem 4chan.org/b/!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2008
    Any ideas and/or sugestions?
    Yeah, I suggest you get rid of your old bat Queen, her poncey Prince of Wales, and get a PM who doesn't suck up to the POTUS. I also suggest you stop eating intestines. (Posted in the spirit of fanning the flame - as per the express invitation)
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited April 2008
    No, didn't work. Most people in england complain about the royals too.
    If anyone has an opinion that cannot be quantified through fact but they are sure that they are 100% in the right. Post now! If you are a hardcore fanboy (or hater) of anything, we need to you go on and on about how great and right you are.
  • Copyright law is outdated and must be completely abolished.
  • I don't think anyone on the internet disagrees with you on that one.
    Damn this forum, sappin' my ability to flame.
  • :S
    We need someone with teh flaming skillz.
  • I find Cowboy Bebop completely boring.
  • We need a misinformed self righteous bastard. Where's Daryl when you need him.
  • God is a myth. If you think otherwise, you are a fucking idiot.
  • The Internet is the devil and should be abolished!

(baseless, inflammatory, and with a dash of hypocrisy as well!)
  • edited April 2008
    (baseless, inflammatory, and with a dash of hypocrisy as well!)
    But you have to post it like you believe it.

Ok, heres one. I get really pissed off at the existence of consoles. Not, even that there are so many of them but that companies expect me to buy what is effectively a second computer and then tell me what I can and can't do with it. Why can't some company make a console that runs on an x86 processor so I can use it as a computer too? Fuck it, why do we have to buy so many different things and can't find one thing that does half the things it could?
    While I'm at it, really bad English in anime. Seriously, Japan does so well learning English and then they have to throw this crap at them and make them expect it to be how people actually sound in the rest of the west.
  • edited April 2008
    God is a myth. If you think otherwise, you are a fucking idiot.
    Actually, if you look at the definition of the term "myth", I don't think it's possible to argue with you there.

Gah! It's always either lack of conviction or something no-one here would argue about.
    Ok, heres one. I get really pissed off at the existence of consoles. Not, even that there are so many of them but that companies expect me to buy what is effectively a second computer and then tell me what I can and can't do with it. Why can't some company make a console that runs on an x86 processor so I can use it as a computer too? Fuck it, why do we have to buy so many different things and can't find one thing that does half the things it could?
    While I'm at it, really bad English in anime. Seriously, Japan does so well learning English and then they have to throw this crap at them and make them expect it to be how people actually sound in the rest of the west.
    Now there's a start
  • Ok, heres one. I get really pissed off at the existence of consoles. Not, even that there are so many of them but that companies expect me to buy what is effectively a second computer and then tell me what I can and can't do with it. Why can't some company make a console that runs on an x86 processor so I can use it as a computer too? Fuck it, why do we have to buy so many different things and can't find one thing that does half the things it could?
    Greedy fucking bastards wanting to get some more money out of the population of the world. It's how the market works, supply and demand, all that jazz. You are not required to buy a console, you'll just won't be able to enjoy the good stuff that comes out on them. And besides, companies make 'consoles' that run on x86 processors, like Dell. A console is nothing more than a bunch of hardware tweaked and aimed at gaming and nothing more as to strip as many 'useless' processes from the processor's job. If a company would make a console that allowed you to do whatever you wanted with it, you'd just have a second computer with possibly a non-standard architecture. At which point one can ask, so why didn't you build your own computer? Which can produce better graphics and have better controls than said console.
    They learn text book English, vocabulary, as we do, pronunciation always falls behind due to most English teachers not being perfect in English and most students not being able to pick up the proper pronunciation of words from the listening tasks of the class. Same goes for when they're reading, the students do not pronounce the words they read out loud for that would make a horrible noise, and thus they cannot be corrected upon their pronunciation. Lastly, not every person is great at learning languages and might only be able to barely keep up and thus are unable to perfect their skills in the language they learned. In my case I can write English decently (if you ask me), at least good enough to make myself understood. However, my pronunciation will most likely sound hilarious to most of you native speakers of the language.

To tie this in with anime as you complained about, Japanese and English are very different languages. If you natively speak Japanese you have a very hard time to properly pronounce English words due to the difference in alphabet. Just take the letter 'l' for example, most people in Japan pronounce it, or turn it, I don't know exactly, in an 'r'. And there's possibly a biological explanation as to how the vocal cords develop perhaps, but that's beyond my knowledge.

With that I bring forth, Omnutia, just give up. You will not be able to set up a properly flame war as it should be in these forums. I am most certain of this fact.
  • Boxers vs. Briefs: I say boxers.
  • This idea is shit. Everyone who has posted are fucking morons.
  • edited April 2008
    This idea is shit. Everyone who has posted are fucking morons.
    Yeah, I must agree. Especially this one guy; Sail I think his name was.
  • This idea is shit. Everyone who has posted are fucking morons.
  • edited April 2008
    ^^ It worked!

But to repeat for emphasis:
    With that I bring forth, Omnutia, just give up. You will not be able to set up a properly flame war as it should be in these forums. I am most certain of this fact.
    You really can't force a flamewar.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • ^^ It worked!

But to repeat for emphasis:
    You really can't force a flamewar.
    Bullshit. Not on these forums maybe, but in other, more flammable places, you most certainly can.
  • edited April 2008
    Bullshit. Not on these forums maybe, but in other, more flammable places, you most certainly can.
    I mean you can't force a flamewar by telling people you're trying to force a flamewar. You can certainly troll and make a flamewar, but that's not what I'm talking about.

You're just sore because you took my post seriously.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Bullshit. Not on these forums maybe, but in other, more flammable places, you most certainly can.
    I mean you can't force a flamewar by telling people you're trying to force a flamewar. You can certainly troll and make a flamewar, but that's not what I'm talking about.
    True.
    You're just sore because you took my post seriously.
    Yeah, this is such a serious thread that I was hit completely unawares by that post of yours.
  • Flamewar? I'm sure me and Hungry Joe can get one going if need be.
  • Men suck!

That's all I could think of. :P
  • Men suck!
    The only problem is that it's true...
  • Men suck!
    What!? No! Women suck, and some men!
  • Men suck!
    What!? No! Women suck, and some men!
    You know what, everyone sucks!
  • Yo mom sucks.
  • Baked goods cure anorexia better than anything that comes out of a pharmacy.