This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Server-to-Server FTP

edited April 2008 in Technology
Has anyone ever logged into a remote server and then used an FTP client to move files from another server to the one they were logged into?

I need to move a 3GB file from one server to another and I can't get the built-in FTP backup repository feature to work for anything not on the same server. So far the files have been small I uploaded them to a private directory on the server after downloading them from the other server. Now that I am hitting the big files I don't want to spend all night downloading them and the spending even longer uploading them!!!

EDIT: I just found this that might work for me.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    If you can get shell access on either server, you can either upload or download the file directly from one server to the other. Barring that, you need to find the fastest way to build a bridge between the two. Unless your upload speed is slower than the host server's upload speed, using your own computer as the bridge would be (theoretically) no slower than transferring the file through a shell command.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • Well that service did not work. Crapped out after sending 25kb. Now I have to get a refund...

Both servers are in the same data center and I have shell access to both (they run BSD).
  • I shelled into the old server. Fired up FTP to connect to the new one and got:

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed
  • edited April 2008
    Can the two servers actually see each other? Try sending a ping from one to the other - if you get a response, then there's some special routing on the network preventing both machines from being able to connect to each other via FTP. Otherwise you may have fed the client a bad IP, or there's crazy routing that's outright preventing the machines from seeing each other at all.

EDIT: Do you have access to the network policy (iptables on the router)? Are these machines mission-critical and cannot afford a few minutes of downtime? Has the new server been tested to ensure that it actually can receive an FTP file from a remote host? Check the iptables equivalent (I'm not up on my BSD :( ) on both servers and any networking equipment in between to make sure that there's absolutely no way that the network itself could be restricting communication between the servers.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • If you can get shell access just use scp. Type: "man scp" in a shell to find out more.
  • Found the problem in the firewall. I had to update the rules on Passive FTP ports.
  • FTP? What year is it? SCP and rsync.
  • FTP? What year is it? SCP and rsync.
    The backup portion of Plesk allows for backing up to a remote site via FTP. I was looking for the easiest solution that requires the least amount of work. I found it my changing the firewall rules for passive FTP.

I'll look into SCP and rsync later.