This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Well, I had to replace my old laptop...

edited April 2008 in Technology
Seeing as how repairing and upgrading my laptop to do half the crap I would like for it to be capable of would run somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 bucks, I figured I might as well spend about that much and buy something that would do everything I want a laptop to do.

So, come Tuesday, my new notebook will be here. I also spent the remainder of my $500 budget picking up a couple items to max the little thing out.

Anyone one here played with one of these babies yet? Also, anyone know of anywhere to get a laptop backpack(for a reasonable amount) that is sized appropriately for this thing?

Rym, Scott, what is the final verdict on the TimBuk2 bags? They don't make one the right size for my new toy, and they are a bit pricey, but I DO need to start dropping hint for my upcoming birthday. ;)

I don't expect insane performance from it, but seeing as how folks have gotten World of Warcraft, Oblivion, Far Cry, and Half-Life 2 to run on them, with factory (under-clocked) speeds, and with the 512mb of factory ram, I'm sure I will be more than happy with it.

Comments

• They're cool little machines. You'll like it.
  • I plan on posting Wednesday to let everyone know my basic impressions of the thing.
  • I have one of these for my lap top. Looks pretty sleek and its padded pretty good.
  • Why are you looking for a bag for a computer you can fit in your pocket? I don't think you quite understand just small this thing is, it's about an inch wider than a DVD case.
  • Rym got a Timbuk2 bag that actually has a laptop sleeve built-in. I got a Shinza Zeroshock laptop protector, and just got a small sized bag with no laptop stuff built-in. I like my solution better because it allows you to have some protection for your laptop when you aren't carrying it in the bag. Also, they make the sleeves in just about any size. This is good because you won't need to compromise your bag decision because you got an odd-size laptop.
  • Why are you looking for a bag for a computer you can fit in your pocket? I don't think you quite understand just small this thing is, it's about an inch wider than a DVD case.
    Actually, I DO know and understand exactly how small it is.

My situation is this:

1. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and I work at night.
    2. At night, the snack bar on the airfield is closed.
    3. I have to tote whatever I want for food or drink to work.
    4. I also need to carry (fairly heavey duty) tools in that same bag from time to time, for various random reasons.
    5. I despise having to carry more than one bag.
    6. I also have a good number of other electronic devices with me that need to be protected. (DS, PSP, Ipod, and my PPC 6700)
    7. I also have to carry power adapters for everything.

Now, I just bought a tool bag for work. I did that mainly so that I could take the tools I regularly carry out of my backpack, but still keep them in one place. That also took about 20 lbs of weight off my back. I'll just stow that in the bottom drawer of my tool box. It will just be an inconvenience, seeing as I rarely had to go to my tool box when I carried everything in my backpack.

Right now, I'm looking at hinting for either the "blogger" or "hacker" TimBuk2 bags for my biirthday. I really just wish that they would offer a custom build laptop backpack. I'm really not that big on the idea of carrying a messenger bag; it looks too much like a purse for my taste.
  • I would recommend Spire for bags. I was looking for a bag about a year ago, and was thinking of getting a TimBuk2, but went with Spire and I'm happy I did. The bag is brilliant, and their customer service was awesome. I ordered it for expedited shipping, but got an email from them saying that since I was so close to where it was shipping from that they knocked down the kind of shipping to save me some money since it would be there in the same amount of time.
  • I don't know about their backpacks, but that bike in one of their pics is a 1999 to 2002 Suzuki SV650 S. I used to have the naked version of that bike, and I loved it.