This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do I handle BASH, Linux or anything to get ubuntu back up.

edited April 2008 in Technology
In my other cry for help thread I talked about how it went to BASH. All weekend I tried a bunch of things and asked about it in different forums, read sites, wiki's and googled searched ways of installing ubuntu again.I tried hard to learn how to do this on my own. I tried fixing it and then fresh installing but I can't get past this BASH thing.

I stopped caring about getting the new ubuntu. I just want to get my computer back to normal. Hell, I'm even willing to make it a windows computer. I just want it to work and nothings working at all. So does anyone with linux knowledge have any insight into how to do this.

Comments

• *pat pat* Poor Viga. Bash is just your terminal. Have you tried to upgrade again? That is have you run sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-ugrade
    again?

If that doesn't work perhaps try typing "startx" and perhaps you can log in and save some data to a USB stick. And if you're willing to make it run Windows again you'll have to format the partition anyway so you might as well just pop in the Ubuntu 8.04 CD. Which you should've done to upgrade in the first place :p Have Scott and Rym not said numerous times that dist-upgrades generally tend to fuck up all sorts of stuff?

Good luck and please keep us updated. We don't want the third part of the Spring Special to fall victim to crazy dist-upgrades. And perhaps stop overheating that machine.
  • edited April 2008
    I have no idea how to partition a hard disk and haven't found anything on google thats helpful.

I tried this command but it doesn't work. It still says this:
    [minimal BASH-like line editing is supported for the first word, TAB list possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device]

It's just a black screen with white text. No windows or colors or anything.

I think this is a BIOS or BASH or something. None of the commands people told me or that I looked up works. I don't know what to do. What is a simple way of getting my ubuntu back up soon.

When I type 'boot' it just say it can't find the kernel. How do I get that?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • oh oh.
    Boot with a liveCD and get your personal data off of there. Copy it over the network to your windows box or to an external media device via USB. You're probably gonna have to reinstall Ubuntu.
  • Search Amazon for a tech manual?
  • Update: I changed the BIOS a day or two ago to boot from the cd. After it not doing it I found that I had to use the text installer. Unfortunately it goes SIGKILL and shuts off. It might be because of overheating. So I'm going to dust out my heat sync to help remedy it.