This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Domain Hijinks

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
It seems that my school isn't employing the brightest computer people.

I was just informed (by a friend) that our school's website, calhigh.net, went down recently. Apparently, whoever was in charge forgot to pay the bill, and didn't have any auto-renew enabled. My friend and I decided to capitalize on this fortuitous circumstance, and I've backordered the domain. If the school fails to renew it, I'll own it. I was thinking of selling it back to the school.

I was wondering, how legal is this? I mean, if they fail to renew their domain, and I purchase it, that seems pretty legit. Selling it back to them would be the easiest thing to do (though it would be lulzy to create a fake website, since all of their paperwork references calhigh.net). What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I can't imagine how it would be illegal nor how sweet that will be if it works.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • If the school fails to renew it, I'll own it. I was thinking of selling it back to the school.
    You are both a genius and an asshole for doing this.
  • My hat is off to you. Think of this as teaching your school a lesson. Perhaps they will hire better people to run their website if you pull this off.
  • *bows to YoshoKatana*
  • Technically, that isn't illegal in any way, as far as I know.
    A) An educational institute has no more right to a .net domain than you or I.
    B) I'm pretty sure that as long as you go through proper channels, purchase of something like this is perfectly legal.
  • edited April 2008
    Brilliant, man. Fucking brilliant.

If I were you, I'd have the site link to rick roll (dead meme, I know, but me and my friends are still having fun with it...), then once the school starts asking about what the hell is going on, I'd just hand it back to them.
    I mean really, I'd try to sell it and all, but if it were my school, I know that they'd be able to dick me over in one way or another. If they can't hit me legally, they could (and would) hit me with detentions for the rest of the year...<_<.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Shit, man. That's fucking incredible. Major kudos. Crossing my fingers and hoping they don't renew.

Also, I vote for creating some kind of joke website / linking to a joke and then selling it back to them.
  • edited April 2008
    Ok, I've decided that in the interim I shall put up a website explaining their mistake, and giving people links to awesome things that'll help them (OpenOffice, which I've been trying to get the school to adopt, Firefox, which they got this year, etc). That'll help educate both the school and parents about using tech correctly.

Also, I think rickrolling the entire school district would be kinda mean. And I don't even want to begin to ponder what Scott would do. ^_~

EDIT: That is, of course, provided that they don't fix their mistake. I'll post back here when the situation develops.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • If they can't hit me legally, they could (and would) hit me with detentions for the rest of the year...<_<.</p>
    You shouldn't be going to that school if they would give you detention for the entire year for buying a domain. YoshoKatana, don't return the domain untill it's bought back. Then at least you'll haven't spend the costs for nothing.
  • As far as legal precedent goes, I found this article on Wikipedia (not the best of sources, but I think it can get this right). Of course you school is much more likely to give up. Were I you, I would give up the site for half of what they would be paying in legal fees to pursue me. You could also register anonymously.
  • edited April 2008
    Mmmmm. People Eating Tasty Animals.

I recommend you don't do anything bad with the website. Educating people about tech is great.
    However, I recommend you keep your involvement quiet.
    Then with teh moneys you can discuss it with them in private. I think if you make an effort to keep it quiet-ish, the school can't really punish you outright.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2008
    This happened to the New York Times a few years ago. They let one of their .net domains lapse and someone purchased it. Scary part is that it was a domain they used for email!!! I wonder how many "hot tips" and such went to the new owners!

Yes, they did get it back.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I thought most schools used .edu as their domains?

Regardless, very awesome.
  • the school can't really punish you outright.
    Because schools have been known to react logically in matters of technology.
  • Try to convince them to give you a job as admin for the site. Easy moneyz plus you can show them you are more competent than the previous admin.
  • Try to convince them to give you a job as admin for the site. Easy moneyz plus you can show them you are more competent than the previous admin.
    Yeah, because those town IT guys will just love you after this.
  • I thought most schools used .edu as their domains?

Regardless, very awesome.
    Most colleges do, most high schools don't. My high school, and all the high schools in my area are .com.
  • Yeah, because those town IT guys will just love you after this.
    If you'd just give the domain back, they might be cool with it (not the IT people, but the school).