This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why I'm happier than Joe

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
When religious and political differences are combined, the results are striking. Secular liberals are as likely to say they are “not too happy” as to say they are very happy (22% to 22%). Religious conservatives are ten times more likely to report being very happy than not too happy (50% to 5%). Religious liberals are about as happy as secular conservatives.

Why should this be so? Mr Brooks proposes that whatever their respective merits, the conservative world view is more conducive to happiness than the liberal one (in the American sense of both words). American conservatives tend to believe that if you work hard and play by the rules, you can succeed. This makes them more optimistic than liberals, more likely to feel in control of their lives and therefore happier. American liberals, at their most pessimistic, stress the injustice of the economic system, the crushing impersonal forces that keep the little guy down and what David Mamet, a playwright, recently summed up as the belief that “everything is always wrong”. Emphasising victimhood was noble during the 1950s and 1960s, says Mr Brooks. By overturning Jim Crow laws, liberals gave the victims of foul injustice greater control over their lives. But in as much as the American left is now a coalition of groups that define themselves as the victims of social and economic forces, and in as much as its leaders encourage people to feel helpless and aggrieved, he thinks they make America a glummer place.
Why American Conservatives are happier than American Liberals

Comments

• In other words by lying to yourself, and ignoring injustice, you view society to be better than it is. Thus, you are able to feel better in a shit world. Way to go.
  • In other words by lying to yourself, and ignoring injustice, you view society to be better than it is. Thus, you are able to feel better in a shit world. Way to go.
    No, by being self-reliant and understanding that it is up to me to pursue my own happiness (rather than expect government to do it for me) I am happier.
  • I suspect that it's because religious conservatives will claim to be very happy, because they have God, so how could they not be?, even when their lives are shit, they're obviously cripplingly depressed, and if God does indeed exist, has obviously completely abandoned them.
  • edited May 2008
    In other words by lying to yourself, and ignoring injustice, you view society to be better than it is. Thus, you are able to feel better in a shit world. Way to go.
    No, by being self-reliant and understanding that it is up to me to pursue my own happiness (rather than expect government to do it for me) I am happier.
    I consider myself a liberal and I believe in God, but I also decide my own destiny. If there is an extra help from the goverment I welcome it but I will never wait for it to come. If I do something dumb it was my mistake and I am the only one to blame. I would never blame congress for my past mistakes. Yeah, I am talking to you Bush, it looks like I found a conservative that is not very happy :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited May 2008
    Maybe conservatives are just more likely to lie to pollsters?
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • edited May 2008
    In other words by lying to yourself, and ignoring injustice, you view society to be better than it is. Thus, you are able to feel better in a shit world. Way to go.
    How about ignoring the happiness of others, and focusing solely on your own needs and happiness. This is why "compassionate conservative" is an oxymoron. When thinking only about my own life, I am happy.

Could it also be that since the Regan years the U.S. has been governed by the conservatives (even Clinton was barely a moderate and far more conservative when viewed in comparison with what most of the world considers liberal), and thus the government has given them exactly what they wanted (an underfunded school system, diminished personal rights, an economy that is destroying the middle class, a huge deficit that squashes all social spending, and wars that feed the oil companies and military suppliers)? Maybe being catered to makes you a tad happier, go figure!

I would like to see that study applied to Europe, with their very different socio-political atmosphere.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2008
    American liberals, at their most pessimistic, stress the injustice of the economic system, the crushing impersonal forces that keep the little guy down ... By overturning Jim Crow laws, liberals gave the victims of foul injustice greater control over their lives ... he thinks they make America a glummer place.
    To sum up: by recognizing and actively changing societal problems we're making ourselves unhappy. I guess that makes sense; I would be a lot happier if I only cared about myself. Problem is, tho, yes, it makes me unhappy that my good friend cannot get married simply because he fell in love with a man. Yes, it makes me unhappy that the high school 10 miles from where I grew up had a failure rate of over 50%. Yes, it infuriates me that abstinence-only sex education is being taught to anyone, let alone 14-15 year olds.

I'm happy enough with my life, but my country and my surroundings? Not a chance.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • Never confuse happiness with intelligence.
  • edited May 2008
    We talked about a topic very similar to this in another thread.

It depends on whose ox is being gored. I can cite to people saying that liberals are smarter than conservatives.
    ...a rather unflattering view of conservatives emerges from the studies. They are portrayed as dogmatic, routine-loving individuals, while liberals come across as free-spirited and open-minded folk.
    Source.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited May 2008
    I'm not unhappy; I'm just paying attention.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I was happier about politics when I was a kid, and didn't know or care about the difference between liberal and conservative.
  • On the whole, I'm much happier when there's a lot of political news.
    I don't think it's a question of lying. If you really don't give a shit, you're not going to be down.
  • I was happier about politics when I was a kid, and didn't know or care about the difference between liberal and conservative.
    You see, even those ideas are relative. Since a liberal in the USA might be consider conservative in other places of the world.
  • I wonder how the poll was in the 1990's.....