This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Classical Music

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
Do you guys listen to any classical music?

If so, what are your most favorite periods, composers and artists?

BTW: Where's the music category? ^_~

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Mussorgsky and Dvorak are downright awesome (and fun to play). The Planets suite is also really cool, in my opinion, as is Orff's Carmina Burana (Nazi or not).
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • The Planets Suite by Gustav Holst is spectacular. I like the essentials such as Bach, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Brahms, and Hayden.
  • Bach

/thread
  • Mussorgsky...
    If you are talking about Modest Mussorgsky, I second that. Night on Bald Mountain is quite the top notch piece of music.
  • Mussorgsky...
    If you are talking about Modest Mussorgsky, I second that. Night on Bald Mountain is quite the top notch piece of music.
    Amen to that, Brother.
  • I'm big into choral music and contemporary. Check out Eric Whitacre for some amazing pieces.
  • I'm big into Romatic era pieces and I've recently got really into minimalist works by composers such as John Adams.
  • BTW: Where's the music category? ^_~
    Based on available categories, I would've picked Art.
  • Ooh! I don't really listen to classical music, exactly, but I have to play it in band and solo stuff. I'm slowly chipping away at Mozart's Clarinet Trio (K. 622) and working on his Quintet (K. 581), as well as Finzi's Five Bagatelle's, in addition to those pieces which band makes me play. My aim is, one day, to be able to play Stravinsky's pieces for clarinet; they're completely acapella, and totally revealing. I remember at State Music Camp, the tutors went and played one of his pieces for a Wind Quintet, and it was just... wow.

And essential composers; Schumann, anyone? Maybe Dukas - Sorcerer's Apprentice and La Peri. Plus, although I'm not sure he's exactly classical, Gershwin. Specifically, his Rhapsody in Blue.

And John Cage, just acoz I like Aleatoric music. Although Gershwin and Cage are American, so I'll throw in some Australians, for good measure. How about Stephen Leek, Percy Grainger and David Stanhope? Granted, the Australian composers I mentioned are all contemporary so don't quite have a place in the canon of classical music yet, but they're pretty.
  • Mussorgsky...
    Indeed I am. I just played Night on Bald Mountain with the local symphony, and it was hard/fun as all hell breaking loose.
  • RACHMANINOFF.
    Though I enjoy Mozart more. Vivaldi's a bit "pop"-y for my tastes. I haven't heard any Mussorgsky... I need to look into it.
  • Does Godspeed You! count?
  • The Devil's Trill Sonata by Giuseppe Tartini is one of my favorite pieces of music.

Youtube: Part I
    Youtube: Part II
  • I like some of the stuff Vaughan Williams and Maurice Ravel did. I also have a weakness for old film scores. :)
  • Ravel's a sell out.
  • I'm a classical bassist so my tastes lean more towards the orchestral ent of the cannon. I actually got into collecting records (please don't hurt me) because there are so many amazing performances you can't find any other way.

At todays record convention I picked up some Reiner conducting Mozart's 40th and Munch conducting both the Boston Symphony and NYC Phil; all on clean 78s. I find it's as much study material as anything but it's always a blast to listen to different groups / composers perform common works in uncommon ways.

I also agree that the Russian's own though you've left out a few.
  • I love Debussy's music, especially works like Clair de Lune and Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun. Sorry, but I can't stand Mozart anymore. I've played way too much of his stuff to enjoy it anymore. Stravinsky is crazy, but cool.
  • Moonlight Sonata and Claire de Lune are my two favorite classical songs. Not much else though. I eat breakfast with my little brother every morning and we watch Little Einsteins which, beyond playing classical music, has nothing much else to it. They take wonderful classical music, add annoying lyrics to them, and write a story around those lyrics. Garbage. But my brother likes it. I'm trying to wean him onto Sesame Street.
  • Moonlight Sonata
    It may sound strange, but that song played on a classical guitar is wonderful!
  • Mozart - Concerto for Oboe in C Major

• I'm big into Romatic era pieces and I've recently got really into minimalist works by composers such asJohn Adams.
    I was in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus when we did the South Eastern premiere of Adams' El Nino. What an amazing piece. Oh, be careful, some of you. It's about Jesus. A lot of the text is based on apocryphal writings. His On the Transmigration of Soulsis excellent, too.
  • I was in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus when we did the South Eastern premiere of Adams'El Nino. What an amazing piece. Oh, be careful, some of you. It's about Jesus. A lot of the text is based on apocryphal writings. HisOn the Transmigration of Soulsis excellent, too.
    I'm fine with listening to music which has religious tones. I view it the same way I would view art inspired by Roman/Greek/Asian mythology.
  • Rachmaninoff is my man,

oh and how about Pachelbel :-p
  • Rachmaninoff is my man,

oh and how about Pachelbel :-p

I like Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor so much that I have it on my iPod :).
  • The boys need to do an opera episode for a Thursday. They've mentioned being into it in previous episodes.
  • If anyone is interested in getting into classical music - a friend of mine just pointed this out to me. You're bound to find some pieces that you can enjoy and there aren't THAT many, as you often see in classical music collections.

I'd also recommend you watch to this TED Talk on "Music and Passion" by Benjamin Zander. The man's a genius and the video is astounding.