This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Frank Herbert's Dune

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
Who here is a fan of the series, whether it be games, books, or movies?
Here's a bit of info about the storyline for those of you who don't know what Dune is:
There is a planet in the universe where Spice (or Melange) is found. It's called Dune (or Arrakis). The spice is a drug which has geriatric qualities and allows people to go into a trance which allows them to see the future to a certain extent. But, it is guarded by vicious sand worms, which are creatures that are about 50m long and virtually indestructable. Without the spice space travel would stop, economies would collapse, and trade would come to a standstill.
So basically there are these 3 main houses: Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrino. House Corrino is also the house that rules the Universe. Atreides and Harkonnen have had a blood feud for a long time, so they are sworn enemies. There are 2 other powers: the spacing guild which has a monopoly on space travel, and the Bene Gesserit, who are a matriarchal society bent on their breeding programs to give birth to the Kwizats Hadherach, or in other words, a man who can be many places at once. So, during the first Dune novel Arrakis is given to the Atreides after 80 years of Harkonnen rule and all sorts of stuff happens (read the book to find out).

I would recommend also to read the Preludes to Dune, Legends of Dune, and the series about the Butlerian Jihad, but not before reading the original novels because the original novels serve as a foundation to your knowledge about the Dune universe.
My favourite book in the series is of course the original Dune. My least favourite one was God Emperor.The house that I would choose would be Harkonnen.

There's a new film coming out, by the way.

Comments

• That you dare taint the story of Dune with that horrible piece of text. God damnit, if only I could edit it. Please reread the forum rules* before you post anywhere again.

As for the books, I finished the first one, and am currently reading House Atreides, the first prelude. I liked the first book, but that should be logical seeing as I finished it and am reading another book from the same series.

1. Be mindful of your grammar and spelling.
    2. Post intelligently
  • The original Dune is absolutely fantastic; the other Frank Herbert books in the series vary a bit in quality, but with one or two exceptions are quite good.

All of the Preludes/Legends/etc ones I've looked at were terrible.
  • I re-read Dune just about every year. It's my weapon of choice.
  • edited May 2008
    Actually, he didn't break rule 1. His post is grammatically correct, albeit with a few missing spaces. And I don't think he broke rule 2 either. This post is not really unintelligent at all, just poorly written.

Those rules were put in place to prevent this kind of stuff.

Necro, I'm fairly certain that you're A-OK.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2008
    That you dare taint the story of Dune with that horrible piece of text. God damnit, if only I could edit it. Please reread the forum rules* before you post anywhere again.

As for the books, I finished the first one, and am currently reading House Atreides, the first prelude. I liked the first book, but that should be logical seeing as I finished it and am reading another book from the same series.

1. Be mindful of your grammar and spelling.
    2. Post intelligently
    I don't want to go off topic but what exactly did I do wrong? Sure it might be poorly written but I didn't spam, make spelling mistakes or write in internet slang.

Please add spaces after sentences and other punctuation please. -Andrew
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Who here is a fan of the series, whether it be games, books, or movies?
    Here's a bit of info about the storyline for those of you who don't know what Dune is:
    There is a planet in the universe where Spice (or Melange) is found. It's called Dune (or Arrakis). The spice is a drug which has geriatric qualities and allows people to go into a trance which allows them to see the future to a certain extent. But, it is guarded by vicious sand worms, which are creatures that are about 50m long and virtually indestructable. Without the spice space travel would stop, economies would collapse, and trade would come to a standstill.
    So basically there are these 3 main houses: Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrino. House Corrino is also the house that rules the Universe. Atreides and Harkonnen have had a blood feud for a long time, so they are sworn enemies. There are 2 other powers: the spacing guild which has a monopoly on space travel, and the Bene Gesserit, who are a matriarchal society bent on their breeding programs to give birth to the Kwizats Hadherach, or in other words, a man who can be many places at once. So, during the first Dune novel Arrakis is given to the Atreides after 80 years of Harkonnen rule and all sorts of stuff happens (read the book to find out).

I would recommend also to read the Preludes to Dune, Legends of Dune, and the series about the Butlerian Jihad, but not before reading the original novels because the original novels serve as a foundation to your knowledge about the Dune universe.
    My favourite book in the series is of course the original Dune. My least favourite one was God Emperor.The house that I would choose would be Harkonnen.

There's a new film coming out, by the way.
    Just because you asked. Also, watch the run-on sentences.
  • edited May 2008
    ah, noobs to Dune, and maybe science fiction as a whole. You make the Dune story seem small.

What follows are my suggestions of books to read for the fresh initiates into Dune novels and sci-fi in general.

Read all the books in the Dune series, then some more Frank Herbert novels, and then read them again.
    Get some stories by Larry Niven, and check out Asimov (The Foundation describes an interesting picture of
    the state of sci-fi during the atomic age). For a little more fascist and hopefully dated perspective on the
    sciences, politics, and the progression of mankind in general, read some Ayn Rand.
    Take a look at Steven King's The Gunslinger series. It is great rendering of a gritty and haunting sci-fi journey.
    Look to Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos for a fresh and inventive creation of future worlds, along with a critique of
    the religion, and technology that help to shape them. After that read every book that you can get by Kurt Vonnegut
    for a little human perspective (read time quake last, it may break your heart). Then read One hundred years of
    Solitude.

This should give you a good basis or perspective with which to judge the quality of good science fiction.

After that post of your opinions about the stuff at will.

Also the sand worms are not vicious, they are guardians and should be respected.
    Post edited by number2 on
  • I read Dune a year ago and liked it. The writer really creates a solid plot in a believable world. I didn't like the second and third books. I didn't bother with the other 4 books but started the prequels.

Dune : House Atreides, the second best dune book behind the original dune. More fun than good plot.
    Dune : House Harkonnen, same as above. (Harkonnen's do some brutal stuff in the book, I wanted to kill beast
    Reband)
    House Corrino, I am only halfway through but this is the weakest one of them all.

The Prequels were written by Frank's son and remind me of star wars (originals) in a good way.
  • edited May 2008
    I've watched the David Lynch film version many times as a child, I enjoyed the Scifi Channel's miniseries version, and I enjoy playing the board game my friend got me for my birthday not long ago. But, I've never really had any desire to actually read the source material. Am I missing out on something?
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • I've watched the David Lynch film version many times as a child, I enjoyed the Scifi Channel's miniseries version, and I enjoy playing the board game my friend got me for my birthday not long ago. But, I've never really had any desire to actually read the source material. Am I missing out on something?
    If you liked the film and the miniseries then you'll like the books even more. The books are more informative and explain things more clearly than the movies. Some of the best scenes that were in the books were vut out of the films. The books will also provide you with a better understanding of the universe itself.