This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080506 - Mario Kart Wii

2»

Comments

• Downloading ghosts is a great way to train yourself on the tracks. Each track has a "mushroom shortcut" in it and by watching the time trial ghosts you can quickly find out where it is.
  • Now that I have the game and have unlocked a few things I have a question:

Has anyone come close to being in the top ten yet? I downloaded a bunch of the champion ghosts and I race against them but I'm simply not that good as the players who use Donkey Kong on a bike. I'm guessing Kong on the bike is broken becauseeverychampion ghost I download uses that combination.
    Thats interesting, from what ive seen Funky Kong had all the world record time trial runs... Anyway, either Funky or traditional Kong, the reason why there running the fastest is because heavy weights have the highest default top speed. Even though this is offset by lower mini turbos/drifting/acceleration, it still looks like top speed can not be overcome by the other stats. (I believe funky kong has the highest speed boost stat out of the heavy weights which is why hes the best heavy weight to time trial with) Even though that makes him broken in time trial, in a normal 12 person race with items other player interference makes the other stats more important. So Funky isnt inherently broken in normal racing. Additionally, the way the game is set up, there is only small differences within each weight class, with the vehicle being much more a factor then the character you choose. So, I wouldn't be surprised that there would be a broken weight class, but a broken character for normal racing is much less likely. That being said, a one on one skill based race with no items between equivalent skilled players, Funky will have the advantage, if your not also using a heavy weight....Funky will trounce you.
  • Almost seems odd that (with the right selection of) items help balance out a racing game.
  • Almost seems odd that (with the right selection of) items help balance out a racing game.
    I think with a racing game like Mario Kart its required. In normal racing games everyones exactly the same so your automatically balanced. In customizable games the person with a better car has a huge advantage but you can usually access the same parts everyone else can, so with time, an optimum build can be made and its balanced for the same reason that a traditional racing game is. With Mario Kart Wii Characters and Karts are unique. As such theres going to be a clear best character (for most tracks) no matter how well the game is balanced. Just like in fighting games there is always a top tier of fighters with 2 or 3 fighters being the best in the game (in well balanced fighters) or simply one character that is better then all other (in poorly made fighters). The only way to compensate for unique characters is to add a random element. (in Mario Kart partially done by unique tracks but mostly accomplished by items) Or else the game will have a clear best character making all other characters irrelevant in serious play. This is also why I enjoy smash brothers so much. Due to the random element of very different levels and items, it makes more characters viable.
  • I find using Baby Mario and the smallest bike on the 100cc courses is the best bet for clearing them.
  • Can someone tell me how to toggle items in this game? It would make multiplayer so much more enjoyable!
  • edited November 2008
    [Never mind, nobody here but us chickens.]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited November 2008
    Can someone tell me how to toggle items in this game? It would make multiplayer so much more enjoyable!
    Select "Rules" at the top right of the screen after selecting VS or Battle from the multiplayer menu. There you can change your item settings, and number of races, CPU players, etc. I'm not sure if you can do it when playing a game online though, I've never tried.
    Post edited by Themistakenone on