This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mirror's Edge

edited May 2008 in Video Games
Recently, a trailer has been released for a game called Mirror's Edge. It's a first person game which "focuses more on the person, rather than the shooting element." Mirror's Edge has a major parkour influence in it's development and it definitely looks like it will bring something new to the video game world. However, I'm just left wondering a couple things. Can a game like this be successful these days with other FPS games that focus only on the shooting element dominating the market? Or will it go the route of Portal and expand the genre?

Thoughts?
WzqLOA9wTzQ

Comments

• I'm sold.

Also, someone should take Chronotron (my thing of the day) and make it into a game on the Steam engine.
  • I wrote a post on my blog about this a few weeks back, but basically I'm really looking forward to playing it. I think it has a ton of potential to redefine the genre. What concerns me is that it's not actually an open world game, so you can't really go anywhere to get from point A to B. So hopefully the levels are big enough that that's not an issue.
  • I've been dreaming of a game like that for a while. I'm really excited about it.
  • Looks really neat. Might be very fun to play, if it's done well.
  • This looks like it could be incredible. What really sold me was the music, though.
  • This looks like it could be incredible. What really sold me was the music, though.
    I'm with you on that one. If the rest of the soundtrack is as good as this song I think we are in for a real treat.
  • This intrigues me.

I'm reminded slightly of the new(er) Prince of Persia games, which had a similar emphasis on movement and acrobatics. Of course, those were third person; I think pulling that off well in a first person view is considerably more difficult.
  • Wow, when I started parkouring (about five years ago) I waited for something like this.

I'm sold too.
  • New gameplay trailer released. Awesomeness looks pretty much guaranteed.
  • That was awesome. Gamestop has the game slated for a November release. :)
  • I cannot wait for this game. Parkour is one of my favorite physical activities ever (I hesitate to call it a sport), and pretending that I'm worlds better at it then I am in reality should be a great time.
  • I have been playing free running on psp, to hold me over until mirror's edge comes out.

• This game looks really good. Seems like a game that I would enjoy, I just hope it fits under my budget. Luckily it's on pc as well, wouldn't want on my 360.
  • This is on my list of games to buy.

By the way: The Star Wars The Force Unleashed demo came out today, anyone play it yet?
  • By the way: The Star Wars The Force Unleashed demo came out today, anyone play it yet?
    I just finished playing it. It's pretty cool, the game definitely has a lot of potential. The demo is unfortunately kind of short, but you get a pretty good feel for how awesome the force stuff is.
  • The demo was released for 360. Anyone play it?
  • Played the demo for the PS3 and to I wasn't that impressed. The controls are in such a weird way that it's kinda weird to play the game. Also the running/jumping/melee just didn't "feel right" to me. I pre-ordered it already and I think I'm going to go cancel it.
  • edited November 2008
    I played the demo earlier today (on Xbox), and I love it. The controls are a bit odd at first, but only because the layout is different from every other game. Once you get used to it the combat and platforming are both silky smooth and awesome. I can't wait for this game.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Not that bad, but I'm pretty resilient to it. I'm the only person I know who didn't get nauseous while watching Cloverfield, for instance. For those who are more prone to it they added a reticule so you have a point on the screen to focus on, and the game does have a HUD you can turn on and off. Some will definitely have trouble playing the game for extended periods of time, though.
  • This game might force me to get a 360, depending on how well its actually pulled off.
  • Sadly, the PS3 demo looks like quite shite in 720p on a HDTV. The demo itself was OK, but nothing to get excited about. Coupled with the fact that the campaign allegedly lasts less than 6 hours, I'm going to pass on this one.
  • Sadly, the PS3 demo looks like quite shite in 720p on a HDTV. The demo itself was OK, but nothing to get excited about. Coupled with the fact that the campaign allegedly lasts less than 6 hours, I'm going to pass on this one.
    PC ftw. Just wait till winter, it will look best on a computer.
  • PC ftw. Just wait till winter, it will look best on a computer.
    Any word on a PC demo?
  • edited January 2009
    The pc demo is coming out later, since the game was not developed for the Pc originally. My prediction is that the demo will arrive in janurary.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • 1up says this game is super short.
  • Rental it is then.
  • This game looks so bad ass, It will be one of the games that I rent went I get a 360 for my birthday/x-mas.
  • Is it expandable like portal?