This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Jazz

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
Is awesome. Talk about how awesome it is.

uu3zCfvVCdM

Mark Guiliana is also the drummer for the experimental jazz group Heernt.

Comments

• Tank, end of story.
  • edited May 2008
    Tank, end of story.
    Ghost Planet National Anthem by Sonny Sharrock is far superior.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Is that really jazz? It sounds a lot more like rock to me.
  • edited May 2008
    Is that really jazz? It sounds a lot more like rock to me.
    Warren Harding "Sonny" Sharrock (August 27, 1940 – May 25, 1994) was an American jazz guitarist.

The rest of the songs on the Space Ghost soundtrack have a much more obvious jazz flow to them, I just couldn't find any other songs on youtube or skreemr.
  • edited May 2008
    Thelonius Monk ftw!

And John Coltrane.

EDIT: Fuck, forgot Miles Davis.

Yeah, those guys all kick ass.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I used to be in jazz band in middle school, when I played the trumpet. I was never good enough for anything over second trumpet, but the songs we played in there were always many times better than the regular band.

I forget who the band was, but my friend showed be an awesome jazz guitarist from it. I'll post a link to the video if they aren't already named when I find out who it is.
  • Huh? I'm a big fan of Jazz, I own legally, yes cash bought, several of the classics musicians of the early 1900's. Louie is my man.
    But this way kinda of repetitive and boring and started getting better when the drummer gets all on that set's grill.
  • Tank, end of story.
    The simple fact that you said that proves your lack of musical awareness. Although Tank is amazing, it is not the best Jazz out there. A large part of the music for Cowboy Bebop was to imitate the old jazz and bebop, so as awesome as it is, much of the originals that it's based on is better.
  • Jaco Pastorius, the best bass player of all time.

• Louis Jordan
  • 50-year-old music video 4TW? :)
  • edited May 2008
    Allan Holdsworth and Buddy Rich.

Nuff' said.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Tank, end of story.
    The simple fact that you said that proves your lack of musical awareness. Although Tank is amazing, it is not the best Jazz out there. A large part of the music for Cowboy Bebop was to imitate the old jazz and bebop, so as awesome as it is, much of the originals that it's based on is better.
    My dad is really big into jazz and I never really got into it. This is a strange occurence because I got my taste in rock and comedy from him, but not any taste for jazz.
  • edited May 2008
    Sorry, guys, but it is Chick Corea for the win. I actually did a major project in my undergrad that made the case that if Beethoven were alive today, he would be Chick Corea based not only on similar physical abilities, but also their theory and mechanics.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited May 2008
    I like Jazz nearly as much as I like Blues. I like the Big Band and BeBop eras the best. Artists I like include Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, and early Miles Davis. Kind of Blue is the best Jazz album ever made.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited November 2009
    I like The Rippingtons. They're more smooth jazz/jazz fusion, but I enjoy them immensely.

This song is pretty wicked. Especially the Bass Guitar solo quite a ways in.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I really haven't listened to as much Jazz as I would like, so I haven't got much to say on the subject beyond the fact that Buddy Rich was the fucking man.

• Sun Ra is freakinggood.
    Sun Ra deserves to be named for a god.

Also, mandatory Weather Report:

• So...kind of low quality, but this is the best I can find online. This dance routine in a jazz style was pretty freakin' awesome. I'd skip to 1:30 though...there's some chatter before the number.
  • His voice is so soothing.

• edited November 2009
    @ Sail: I have never heard Sun Ra before and I will seek out some more of their stuff before I write them off, but that particular song was terribly done. The instrumentation was sloppy and the vocals were weak. Is that the standard quality for their performances?
  • @Sail: Sun Ra did an album of Batman-inspired music. I've searched for a torrent of it, but I haven't found one that actually works.
  • @Sail: Sun Ra did an album of Batman-inspired music. I've searched for a torrent of it, but I haven't found one that actually works.
    Oh shit, my girlfriend has that record! I thought "Sun Ra" sounded familiar. "Robiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Robiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Robiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin"
  • edited November 2009
    @ Sail: I have never heard Sun Ra before and I will seek out some more of their stuff before I write them off, but that particular song was terribly done. The instrumentation was sloppy and the vocals were weak. Is that the standard quality for their performances?
    If you honestly think that song was "sloppy", then Sun Ra definitely isn't for you. It's called "avant-garde" and "free-jazz" for a reason.

Also, Joe, *pssst*...

So excited to listen to this.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2009
    If you honestly think that song was "sloppy", then Sun Ra definitely isn't for you. It's called "avant-garde" and "free-jazz" for a reason.
    Oh, I didn't know that was how they were classified (having never heard of them before). No, I am not a fan.
  • edited November 2009
    Wow, can't believe I made this thread. I had no idea what I was talking about in May, 2008. Listening to loads of free-jazz now, though. Trying to educate myself on 60s-70s avant-garde music. Kate Monster, Sun Ra is not a very good place to start if you want to get into free-jazz unless you're already into experimental or noise music. I recommend listening to The Shape of Jazz to Come by Ornette Coleman. It follows a traditional jazz structure, but features multiple musicians playing atonal free solos over each other.

Sail, I don't know if you listen to Fela Kuti, but I just realized how much Pharaoh Sanders (particularly Deaf Dumb Blind and Black Unity) influenced him.

Highly recommend Zombie and Expensive Shit.
  • edited November 2009
    Sun Ra is not a very good place to start if you want to get into free-jazz unless you're already into experimental or noise music.
    Hah. This is such a funny thing to think about. Free-jazz is basically noise music but older and considered "higher taste".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2009
    Some more incredible free-jazz.

Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun. Sounds almost like Wolf Eyes at some points. Speaking of which,

Anthony Braxton, insane sax and clarinet player, live with Wolf Eyes, devastating noise. Sonic nihilism.

Of course, in a thread about jazz, Coltrane is required. A Love Supreme is just as beautiful as the hype machine says it is.
  • edited January 2010
    I've been listening to this live collab between Anthony Braxton and Wolf Eyes, Black Vomit, a whole lot.

Face-melting noise.