This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"It's made of titanium and it helps your joints move better"

Today, at school, somebody asked this dude's about a thing he was wearing around his neck that was a stiff ring that had black fabric for a cover. He said, " It's made of titanium and it helps your joints move better." Then, I told him that's just made up Bullshit and those things don't work and it's all mental. He then said something like "well my doctor recommend it and that it was proven by scientific research." I told him that, no, it's fake medicine and that his doctor is stupid in believing it too. I then gave the burden of proof tactic, I said "If it really did work like you said, then why isn't everyone wearing one?" That's when he passed for half a second and said in a half assed way "Well a lot of people wear them...really!" That's how I knew that I had him and that I won the argument. Victory! But the said thing is, this kid is actually in 7th grade and he's pretty athletic, but the fact that he needs any kind of joint treatment at his age is sad.
sorry for the crappy writing, I'm about half asleep and grammer an't on top meah list!

Comments

• First ask him HOW it helps joints move better. Then tell him you can do a test, measure his joint movement with and without the ring. If that doesn't work, reveal the $1,000,000 Randi prize.
  • When I saw the title I thought you were talking about replacement joints. They're titanium and work better than the real thing.
  • Yeah, I thought there was a new Wolverine thingy going on. "Everyone can be a Wolverine! Wooooo!"
  • I saw him in Spanish class today and he wasn't wearing it. Victory!......???
    I look again tomorrow.
  • From the title, I too though this was going to be a thread about joint replacement implants. I'm slightly disappointed.

Perhaps this was prescribed as a brace, and the kid didn't do a very good job of understanding/explaining it? If this kid is athletic, its entirely possible he strained or sprained his neck.
  • If I had my way, I would have every child in America required to take courses on critical thinking. Maybe if we can get enough people to be rationalists, all of these snake oil salesmen will finally get their just desserts.

That being said, I must agree with Mr. Sharp. I had a relative who had to wear a brace because her neck was either sprained or broken (I can't quite remember exactly).
  • I saw him in Spanish class today and he wasn't wearing it. Victory!......???
    I look again tomorrow
    Nope >_< failure.
  • If I had my way, I would have every child in America required to take courses on critical thinking. Maybe if we can get enough people to be rationalists, all of these snake oil salesmen will finally get their just desserts.
    The politicians would never allow such a thing.
    The politicians would never allow such a thing.
    Nor would the religious, the lazy, the apathetic, the self-righteous, the stingy, and pretty much everyone who stands to lose anything (which is pretty much everyone).