This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Worst class you've ever had to take

GeoGeo
edited May 2008 in Everything Else
What's the worst class you've ever had to deal with and why(it doesn't matter if it's the teacher, the subject, or the class itself)?

My worst class is contained in the following story. Warning: it is REALLY long, but I feel it should be told that way.

I was at my last block class which is -shudder- Spanish. Now don't get me wrong,I don't have anything against the language itself. It's just the class I am in that makes me hate it so much.

Before I get into that, I think I should tell ya that I'm a junior and this is my first year in a public high school. I spent almost all of my school life in a private school because I have ADD (it used to be really bad, but now it's not so much of a problem anymore).

I recently left my old school and enrolled in the high school of my hometown. At first it was really difficult to get adjusted to a lot of things there such as taking notes (we didn't take any notes at my old school), binders, etc.

But I've adjusted to the norms of public high school quite well (so well that some teachers recommended me for some AP classes ^_^) and everything couldn't be better. There is only one problem, my Spanish class I'm in sucks ass.

My reason for that is that all the kids there are stupid, immature, jerky, and assholish freshman (it's L1 class by the way). You would not believe how wild it is in there. These kids have no respect for anyone else who is trying to work. The teacher can't even get the class under control because of it's rowdiness. It is impossible to concentrate on writing notes, getting work done, etc. Also, the topic of the class gets changed so much due to their chit-chat that I forget what we're talking about. I really don't feel like I'm learning anything either because of the chaotic state of the class. All of this mayhem is causing my grades to slip and it's all because of them. It should be worth noting that classwork is worth 30% of our grade (quizzes & tests 10%, journals 10%, attitude & behavior 15%, projects 20%, and homework/participation 15%) and that is the area where I'm slipping in.

While the teacher isn't a bad teacher or bad person by any stretch, the problem is is that basically her confidence in the class has shattered due these dip shits' antics. It was so bad that one of my best friends dropped out of the class for similar reasons. I've had to endure this for three whole fucking semesters. I've only recently complained to the principals as they are totally unaware of the state of my class. It looks like they're doing a really good job too, as one of the deans came in and sat through the class and there'll more of these observations as. The kids tried to not do anything bad, but they did it anyway. From what I was told when I complained there'll be many more of these "visits".

-WHEW-

So that's the worst class I'll probably ever have in my entire life.

Comments

• My worst was a class on Special Education in college. The TA running the class was a doctoral student from China and her English was horrific. It was nearly impossible to understand her lectures. Most of the class was done on Power Point slides which she made available on the web. Unfortunately, the class had an attendance policy tied to the grade. So, you'd have to show up, sit through an hour long lecture in terribly broken English and then go download the notes later. Plus, it was a class on how to teach children with special needs! The TA had special needs! She needed a translator! Got a lot of crossword puzzles done that semester.
  • edited May 2008
    Country Dancing. Requires no explanation.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Show Choir was mine I guess. I signed up because I thought it was gunna be singing and dancing, but instead it was a bunch of cheerleader wannabes who did nothing but gossip the whole time. It was a great way to learn who hated who, who bitch slapped who, who stole who's boyfriend, etc, but I really wanted to do stuff. We did Santa Baby for our Christmas performance, wearing red santa dresses and twirled candy canes. Nobody could sing, and the dance moves were something a 5 year old could learn. I dropped out the next semester and took up an extra band class.
  • Calculus. I hate numbers. They are too rigid. Words give you far more options.
  • I haven't really had any horrible classes while at college. If I don't like it, I don't sign up for it.
  • edited May 2008
    Worst due to teacher- C++ programming. Ok, I've learned a lot in this class, but it's mainly from me toying around with the C++ compiler, and reading the book on my own time. In class time, she wastes spends time trying to paraphrase what's in the book to make it look like she knows what the hell she's talking about. The sad part is, she's the school's secondary tech person (the head guy doesn't teach).

Worst due to kids- either honors chem or Italian 2. In chem, the kids were all assholes, and got me the most pissed off I've ever been [in school at least]. In Italian, it was full of kids who didn't want to learn, and thus talked and were stupid [at least regarding Italian], and in general were a lot like the Spanish class lordyupa mentioned. Just to a lesser extent.

Worst ever- honors chemistry (sophomore year). Daily homework. Barely ever checked, but it all got collected *eventually*. Problem was, it might be the next day, or it might be in two weeks. To top it off, it would usually be a few worksheets plus problems from the book daily. None of it was even remotely easy, and it piled and piled. I eventually just said "fuck it" and stopped doing HW. Tests were also retardedly hard.
    To top it off, the teacher was very strict, yet somehow all the aforementioned assholes got away with everything they did.
    Eventually I failed the class and dropped into regular chemistry. Everything was much better and I ended up with an A. And this year they just put in AP chemistry into our school's curriculum (in b4 "shit man, our school's had that for years"- I don't care). I border on tears when I think of how bad that class would be.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Economics this year. It's shit because we learn very little (it's essentially the first month of college economics) and because it's the first class the teacher has ever taught, and therefore he has no idea how to teach or grade. And he has the creepiest laugh ever. At the end of a sentence it just kind of bubbles out. It sounds like a cough he's trying to hold back, but he just can't. It's this very dry little chuckle - kind of a "a-heh-heh" but very fast and almost strangled.

With that having been said, I have been extraordinarily lucky with teachers and classes.
  • edited May 2008
    Grade 10 Civics this course is required to get your diploma in Ontario.

To this day I have no idea what it was is supposed to be about and from what I can tell you learn something vague that happened in our history then the class splits in two and we debate over something.

Now this course maybe have proven to be useful (I doubt it though) if I spent to more the 3 hours in it. but However, the first time we had a "debate" I stated my argument then, because no one on the other side of the room could think on anything to say, I got up, walked to the other side of the room, countered my own point, then I left and never went back to the class. I wish I could remember what I said but it was 8 years ago.

The teacher for this class was one I had before and had him several more time throughout my high school years. He gave me a project to do that was suppose to cover the whole curriculum so I read the first 4 out of 10 chapters of the text and did the project in a weekend got a 80%

Edit: And this boys and girls is why you don't drink and post.
    Post edited by fuzzyj on
  • Math 1N. Still teaching Algebra that I learned in 7th grade to college students.
  • @Fuzzyj - I think you got attacked by Mr. Period.

No class in particular stands out, but my two "worst" cases (they're also very recent, which is why they seem so horrible) were because of the teacher in one and the kids in another.

Fashion 20 - I had gone through Fashion 10 with a really nice teacher who knew a bit about what she was talking about, but the next year she had left to teach in a different school, leaving us a different teacher. This lady doesn't have anything seriously wrong, except that everything was done in and on computers - there was no talk of even attempting to get sewing machines, like the other teacher was trying to do. Almost everything were reports - on styles and such - and a major one was working with this really annoying 3D program. I can't quite remember what it was called, but it was hard to do anything, and we had to make a rubber duck and a shoe which took forever. I have no idea how that can be any use, when sketching would be way faster. At the end, she sprung upon us actual physical making projects - embellishment (in which you sewed, painted, etc., patterns and such on pieces of fabric) and making a bag. You could also have made furnishings (ex: a lamp) but there was no time to do all that and still have it look good, so I skipped out on it.

English 20 - the class I'm with now. The teacher loves putting us in groups, but I just hate them. I've complained about it before on the FRC forums, so it's sufficient to say that no one listens and I have to hold their hands and lead them. I hate groups so much, and I've never had to do it so much.
  • Probability. Damn it I hate fucking random things. Give me an exact number, that is not math.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2008
    Show Choir was mine I guess. I signed up because I thought it was gunna be singing and dancing, but instead it was a bunch of cheerleader wannabes who did nothing but gossip the whole time. It was a great way to learn who hated who, who bitch slapped who, who stole who's boyfriend, etc, but I really wanted to do stuff. We did Santa Baby for our Christmas performance, wearing red santa dresses and twirled candy canes. Nobody could sing, and the dance moves were something a 5 year old could learn. I dropped out the next semester and took up an extra band class.
    That sounds all most almost as bad my class.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • A Business Management class in my 3rd year of University, the prof was a total tit would basically tried to teach the class how to suck up to your boss.
  • Tax I, II, and III. At U.K. Law, the schedule was so screwed up that I actually ended up taking three semesters of Tax. The only things I remember are the case in which a woman claimed that her income derived from donating plasma and blood was not taxable because it was compensation for personal injury and that McDonalds has tried every trick in the book to avoid paying taxes.

Corporate Finance was just as useless, but it actually was sometimes interesting when we talked about Horse Syndicates and whether they were subject to SEC regulation as stocks.
  • The worst class I had to take I think was this intermediate Microeconomics class I had to take in college. Mostly the problem was the professor, although he was smart, he basically just lectured each day exactly out of the text book and wrote everything on the board. Plus he had a really thick accent, so it was really difficult at times to understand him.

Luckily he outlined on the syllabus what all the homework was, and when it was due. So after the first couple classes I pretty much only showed up to hand in the homework every few weeks, and take the exams. It seemed like a lot of people did the same thing.
  • Dutch. No matter which year in High School, I always had horrible teachers. And worst of all, all were cranky old women.
  • edited May 2008
    he basically just lectured each day exactly out of the text book and wrote everything on the board. Plus he had a really thick accent, so it was really difficult at times to understand him.
    Yeah, I had a few like that.

Fluid Dynamics was the most frustrating class I've ever taken, but that was mostly because I didn't have the appropriate math background at the time, the prof's teaching style didn't work well for me, and the grader was merciless and unforgiving.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • . . . I have ADD . . .
    I have HD ADD. I don't often pay attention, but when I do, it's AMAZING.

Seriously, is there anyone your age who doesn't have ADD?

• Seriously, is there anyone your age whodoesn'thave ADD?
    *raises hand* I'm practically comatose though...
  • I dropped my worst class two weeks into the semester. Almost every student earning a Theatre Major took this specific upper level Shakespeare course. Sure, I had studied plenty of Shakespeare throughout my life, but it is always a cornerstone in western theatrical education, so I was looking forward to this class. I was hoping for some new perspectives on an old subject, perhaps something even more in-depth than I had been exposed to before. I was so naive.
    Despite this being an upper-level course instructed by the head of an Honors organization on campus (albeit a rival Honors program to mine), the class was insipid. The instructor presented a syllabus that dealt only with the most popular plays, didn't address the historical plays at all, and had us reading from an introductory book to Shakespeare complete with side text that explained in stupidly simple terms exactly what Shakespeare was saying. It even had illustrations! It seemed like it was written for 6th graders that were just being introduced to the concept of metaphor!
    I dropped the class and wrote out a 3 page complaint detailing exactly why the class should not count for college credit of any kind, let alone an upper-level English course.
    I switched out and took the 500 level Classical Mythology class instead.
  • 3D modeling design was a shitty piece of shit where project deadlines and requirements would change daily and without warning.

I had to take two required classes called Technical Communication and Tech and Society. All you did was sit in a room and watch movies for both of those fuckers and attendance was checked. In high school that kinda class is a dream come true, but it's a steaming pile of shit for a college class.
  • edited May 2008
    My worst class was a detective fiction class I took one summer. I wanted to take a summer English class, and this one was being billed as a study of the classical detective like Sherlock Holmes to the hard boiled detectives like Sam Spade. This seemed like a fun class that was right up my alley so I enrolled.

How wrong I was. I knew this was going to suck the very first day. The teacher started us off with Poe's "Murder in the Rue Morgue, and Doyle's "The Red Headed League."

"Awesome!" I thought. I didn't even have to read the Sherlock Holmes one, having read that story about a dozen times already. "This is going to be a sweet class!" I thought to myself.

Then the teacher started talking about the parallels and contrasts between the two stories, and how in both cases the detectives use supernatural ability to solve the crime. That both detectives showed psychic abilities.

Now, you have to understand, normally, I'm the quiet kid in class. So, even to this day, I'm surprised I raised my hand and interrupted his lecture. He asked if I had a question and I said, "Sherlock Holmes wasn't psychic. Where are you coming up with this?"

He condescendingly asked me "Then how did he know who the criminal was?"

To which I reply, "It's clear in the story that Holmes says that he already knows this John Clay already, and recognized him from the description given." I then explained that the whole point of the Holmes character is that there's nothing supernatural about it at all, that in theory ANYONE with a keen eye for detail and observation could make deductions like Holmes, though it is dramatized for the sake of entertainment.

The teacher then basically admitted that he never really read any Sherlock Holmes stories so he's not really an expert on it. *Sighs*

The class got worse from there. I'm glad I enjoyed those first two stories, because those were the last works of detective fiction we read for a while. We then went onto two spy novels. One was Joesph Conrad's "The Secret Agent", and the other one I don't even remember. I was quick to point out after the first book that this really is a spy novel, not detective fiction. "Well, there's a police officer as a character" he explained. (Though if I recall correctly he wasn't even a main character)

The second book, the one I don't remember, didn't even have a detective as a character. Once again, I pointed this out, to which he admitted that he's not really a fan of detective fiction and wanted to teach us more classical works. This didn't go over well with the class since, you know, well, we fucking paid money to learn about this subject that he felt was beneath him to teach.

By the last 3 or 4 weeks or so, we just watched movies. This was the best part of the class. For one, we didn't have to listen to him teach us stuff that had nothing to do with the class, and even better, the movies were actually detective movies like Blade Runner and Chinatown.

Basically, by the end of the class, he didn't care much for me. I felt completely ripped off and didn't much feel like being quiet about it. So when he'd start talking about how sexist detective fiction is, because you never see a woman as the detective, not even today. I then prattled off a list of 2 or 3 female detectives. His defense was he didn't' know about them. Oh, and by the way, since he didn't know about them, he didn't want them brought up in the essays. I did anyway, cause by this point I was being dickish.

I think I got away with a B- or something like that in the class. Probably because I insisted on putting stuff I knew he didn't know about in my essays, though to be fair, I did cite my works. Everyone ripped him apart in the teacher evaluation things you have to do at the end of the semester. In fairness, I don't think he was teaching very long, he might have even been a student teacher for all I know, and this wasn't his field of expertise. However, I really don't find this to be a very valid excuse. You'd think if you were going to try to teach Sherlock Holmes in class, you might take the time to read a few of the stories beforehand.

So that was my worst class of all time. As much as it sucked, at least I have a fun story to tell, so I didn't leave the class empty handed. Sorry for the essay sized post.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • Despite my pile of transfer credits into RIT, they forced me to take two worthless classes: Discrete Mathematics I, and Writing and Literature (I or II: I forget which).

Discrete math was a class intended for RIT freshmen, though the subject material was clearly designed with high school ninth graders in mind. Despite my calculus credits and statistics classes, they informed me that I needed one more math credit to graduate, so I took this class as a senior. Every other student was a freshman.

The class basically covered idiot-level algebra and the most simple of sets. It was laughable.

Well, laughable, until more than half the class failed.

These students had somehow graduated high school, gotten into RIT, and decided they wanted to major in Information Technology, yet couldn't do BASIC ALGEBRA. Not calculus, not Diff Eq, but basic, simple, middle-school algebra. I'm of the opinion that none of them had any business being enrolled ar RIT, and I hope sincerely that the university's new president follows through on his promise to greatly increase the difficulty of getting accepted into ANY program.

Even worse, however, was the Writing and Literature class. Again, I took this as an upperclassman among freshmen. I'll spare you the details, but I note that I was chastised by the professor for, in a peer-reviewed essay, accurately corrected my "peer's" grammar and basic spelling. "You really hurt her feelings, covering her paper in so much red ink. Just focus on what she's saying, not how she's saying it."

The sub-literate, pained scratchings of my classmates through those ten weeks haunt me to this day.
  • jccjcc
    edited May 2008
    If people are being forced to take a class, there's a good chance it will be unpleasant for both students and teachers by default. I'd say a better topic would be "Best class you've ever had to take". :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • The sub-literate, pained scratchings of my classmates through those ten weeks haunt me to this day.
    Haunt eh? Can you recall any of the horrors you experienced back then and write them out for us? Or have you wisely suppressed them and buried them deep within the darkness of your gray matter?
  • Calculus in my freshman year at the University of Arizona was bad. The teacher didn't seem to understand what she was doing, and even got lost on the way to the room one day in the middle of the semester. This wasn't the first calculus class I had taken, but this one had more to do with the concepts behind calculus instead of the math, so I didn't enjoy it as much.
  • Seriously, is there anyone your age whodoesn'thave ADD?
    I'm not making this up, but to be honest I'm not so sure that I do know anyone who has ADHD. If I do, then they've either not told me or I'm missing something. I'm not really that hyper, except when I'm fucking pissed off at someone/something.
    I have HD ADD. I don't often pay attention, but when I do, it's AMAZING.
    The same goes for me ^_^.
  • Honors U.S. History. The teacher was a douche, a blatant sexist (and seemed a bit pedophilic) and a proselytizing Democrat. The fact that it was U.S. History didn't make it any better.
  • Freshman English.

The teacher was such a push-over. She never took control of the class or taught stuff that actually related to the class.
    All we did was read a couple books and did crap worksheets that everyone got 100%s on.
    Oh yeah, the tests were a joke.

It was the most garbage English class I have ever taken.
  • "Citizenship". A required lecture class at RIT for exiting seniors. You went to see lectures that essentially had nothing to do with your major. The subject matters were random, broad, and sometimes VERY vaguely had to do with politics and current events.

When I asked the teacher what exactly we would be learning, she responded with "How to be a good citizen." in a "that should be obvious, you retard" tone of voice. Gee, thanks for clarifying.

Basically they did it in order to convince speakers to come to the campus and have a guaranteed audience. I learned exactly nothing from that class and it cost me at least thee hundred fucking dollars.