This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Two USB wires over one CAT5?

edited May 2008 in Technology
CAT5 = 8 wires USB = 4 wires
Could I match up the colours and solder them? Saves me buying a long USB cable. If I use two USB extension cables I can then plug in the right head at the other end.
Additionally, should I pair the power and data +ves and -ves from each USB cable?

Comments

• I don't know how well it will work. Sure, it might be the same number of wires, but it might not work on the electrical level.
  • edited May 2008
    USB uses 28 AWG wire while Ethernet is usually around 22-24 AWG and you may get away with that but if not your wire could melt. Be very cautious of the amount of amperage your transmitting over the wires too. If you're pulling more than 0.92 amps, it will cause the cable to heat up and set fire or melt.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Cut open a USB cable and look at the wires.

Are they braided?
    Are they shielded?
    Are they solid or strand?

We have been rolling out our FTTN video service and have found that unless you properly shield the wiring in your house all sorts of things can screw up your service. Even something as simple as a light bulb can kill your service (true story but it was a light bulb in their neighbors house!)

Even when creating your own CAT5 patch cables you can wire them wrong and they will work, they just may not work well.
  • USB uses 28 AWG wire while Ethernet is usually around 22-24 AWG and you may get away with that but if not your wire could melt. Be very cautious of the amount of amperage your transmitting over the wires too. If your pulling more that 0.92 amps it will cause the cable to heat up and set fire or melt.
    Ah, this is true. USB has data, but it also is able to power devices. However, ethernet also carries power sometimes for PoE.
  • I actually did this when I made a RC car droid. I used CAT5e cable and it worked well enough to support a USB camera and a usb hub. Your mileage may vary, though.
  • The cables will hold, and work fine, but it's very tricky stuff things might go wrong very fast.
    Additionally, should I pair the power and data +ves and -ves from each USB cable?
    Just do it straight trough. + with + and - with -. Let me know how it works, I've never done it my self but I've seen projects hold on to dear life thanks to these cables.
  • edited May 2008
    Ok, the run I want to do is about 5m and Wikippedia says that maximum length is 5m though I am dubious about signal quality at such lengths. I'll probably try doing something like this so that if the length of wire doesn't work I have a spare CAT5 cable.
    In addition, the two configurations I might want would be:
    PC -(short)-> Powered hub -(5m)-> Printer
    and
    PC -(5m)-> Powered hub -(Various)-> Other usb stuff
    I think getting the power over wouldn't be that hard.
    Post edited by Omnutia on