This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Penny Arcade Game

edited May 2008 in Video Games
Episode 1 comes out in eight days.

It will be interesting to see how a source that is so critical about the way games are made makes a game of their own. Even if the actual gameplay sucks, I'm sure that it will be made up for in humor. But, from what I've seen, it seems pretty decent.

Comments

• It kind of surprised me that they announced the release date 8 days before it released. I mean, I know that with digital sales they don't have to announce it any earlier, but it's odd.

Looking forward to it, though.
  • I was going to hold out. However, they are saying that if you buy the PC version, you can use the same key on all three OSes. Therefore, I think I'll buy it.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm going to pick it up on PC, somehow this game doesn't feel like it would be as good on console. Hopefully I can pull myself away from GTAIV to play it.
    I was going to hold out. However, they are saying that if you buy the PC version, you can use the same key on all three OSes. Therefore, I think I'll buy it.
    If that's true that's brilliant.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • I'm interested in the game. Unfortunately it comes out the same day as Rock Band, so I will probably play it in a month.
  • The podcast is worth a listen.
  • Yes! I too am very interested in how this is going to be. Gigantic fruit fuckers to fight, holy shit.
  • edited May 2008
    Well, it's out and I can't get it to run. Other people are apparently having the same issue.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Well, it's out and I can't get it to run. Other people are apparently having thesame issue.
    I just bought it maybe 20 minutes ago. I played a little bit of it on Windows. There are some good parts, and some bad, but it is mostly good. I get the feeling this will be one of those games I play through once and never play again.

I also had the exact same problem in the Linux version on my laptop. Perhaps my Intel 945 is not enough for this game? It's disappointing that the Linux version is buggy. I would probably end up playing it on my awesome new computer anyway, even if the Linux version worked. It is quite impressive on my new monitor. Game developers take note. This is how to make awesome graphics without stupid PS3-level hardware.
  • I'm having no problems with it. The game isn't perfect by any means, but the writing is hilarious. It's an interesting mix of genres.
  • I tried the OSX demo, i'll probably buy this in a few days. Its good to see a game work on a non-pro macbook (Intel GMA 950 graphics).
  • How long should it take for the game to load? I'm waiting 5 minutes now...
  • How long should it take for the game to load? I'm waiting 5 minutes now...
    What do you consider the game? Actual playing, or starting it up? In the latter case, 10 seconds tops?
  • The demo was fun enough. I like the style and humour. I'll probably by it for a future plane journey.
  • I downloaded the demo and finally killed the process because it went nowhere (blank screen) for 5+ minutes.
  • edited May 2008
    I got the demo and it runs perfectly fine on my low end laptop (had difficulty playing Portal)
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • I just finished the game. It's about 5 to 7 hours long I'd say, which is a good length.

I really enjoyed it. It took me a little while to get used to the combat system since its a little awkward, but once you get the hang of it its real nice. I kind of felt that the attacks should have been mapped to keys, but that may have just made the whole thing too complicated.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode, mostly because I've become really interested in the story. I'm really liking the world they are creating in this game.
  • I've enjoyed the game so far. It's got the humor I expect, the gratuitous use of swear words, and small, fruit-humping robots. I'm sure I'll find time to finish it this weekend and then sit chomping at the bit for episode 2. Oh, and I would LOVE to play an RPG based in this world.
  • I love the ad campaign for the game.
    I'll probably fire up the demo tonight.
  • Finished it this morning after work, and now I'm going nuts wanting the next episode. The Asus eee seems to have the same problem that Scott and others are having. If the eee was able to play it, I would have been able to finish it last night at work.
  • Finished it this morning after work, and now I'm going nuts wanting the next episode. The Asus eee seems to have the same problem that Scott and others are having. If the eee was able to play it, I would have been able to finish it last night at work.
    The Linux version worked on my computer at work which has an NVidia card. I think it just doesn't want to work on Linux computers that don't have video cards that support certain features. I can give a technical explanation for why this occurs, but it is late.
  • Finished tonight on the XBox and I'm probably going to end up buying it for the PC as well so I can take it on the road with me. All in all, I think it was well worth the $20 price of admission. The play mechanic did take a bit of getting used to, especially the trial-and-error of learning when to block the attacks, but it was definitely fun and I'll probably end up playing through it a couple more times just for grins and to see if I can find all the hidden concept art on my own.

Semi-related sidebar: The Xbox version tracks the number of kills you've done in-game and holds that as your "ranking" on the Live Arcade Leaderboard for the game. When I picked it back up this evening to finish playing it out I was just barely past the second area and it had me ranked somewhere around 8000 or so, and the numbers went higher than that. That got me to thinking: over 8000 people playing it at $20 a pop equals over $160,000 in sales on the Xbox version alone. Lord only knows how many people have purchased the PC version. Anybody know what kind of percentage MS pays to the developers on Live Arcade games?