This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

California Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Would I be saying Fuck You if it passed?
  • God dammit.

Fuck you, New York Senate...
  • edited December 2009
    Does anyone know where I can find a list of how each Senator voted?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Deos anyone know where I can find a list of how each Senator voted?
    I kind of want to know this as well, my shit list needs to get longer.
  • edited December 2009
    Deos anyone know where I can find a list of how each Senator voted?
    I kind of want to know this as well, my shit list needs to get longer.
    This may take up to 24 hours to update, but: the NY Senate Open Legislation Service (bill A40003) should do the trick.
    Post edited by Frank on
  • Stupid Senators! Write to them and tell them how horrible they are.
  • Believe me, I don't think that any of them are being re-elected after this year's stellar performance.
  • The republicans will probably be re-elected. Those dissenting democrats - well, let us hope they are done with.
  • Eric Adams (D) — YES
    Joseph Addabbo (D) — NO
    James Alesi (R) — NO
    Darrel Aubertine (D) — NO
    John Bonacic (R) — NO
    Neil Breslin (D) — YES
    John DeFrancisco (R) — NO
    Ruben Diaz (D) — NO
    Martin Malave Dilan (D) — YES
    Tom Duane (D) — YES
    Pedro Espada (D) — YES
    Hugh Farley (R) — NO
    John Flanagan (R) — NO
    Brian Foley (D) — YES
    Charles Fuschillo, Jr. (R) — NO
    Martin Golden (R) — NO
    Joseph Griffo (R) — NO
    Kemp Hannon (R) — NO
    Ruth Hassell-Thompson (D) — YES
    Shirley Huntley (D) — NO
    Craig Johnson (D) — YES
    Owen Johnson (R) — NO
    Jeffrey Klein (D) — YES
    Liz Krueger (D) — YES
    Carl Kruger (D) — NO
    Andrew Lanza (R) — NO
    Bill Larkin (R) — NO
    Kenneth LaValle (R) — NO
    Vincent Leibell (R) — NO
    Tom Libous (R) — NO
    Elizabeth Little (R) — NO

emphasis on the ones that should have known better.
  • Is that all of them? I don't see my senator Toby Stavisky there.
  • Well, Breslin voted the way he was supposed to. Not a lot I can do about him, and he's generally a vocal one.

@Kate: You're District 43, right? McDonald? I don't see him on the list, but I'm assuming he voted "no."
  • edited December 2009
    @Kate: You're District 43, right? McDonald? I don't see him on the list, but I'm assuming he voted "no."
    Yeah, I am trying to find out if he didn't vote at all.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Do remember that this is the same New York State Senate that had a leadership crisis earlier this year. 2 Democrats defected to the Republican side and fucked things up royally.
  • Probably the most telling statement of this debate (via the Associated Press):

But Sen. Eric Adams, D-Brooklyn, challenged lawmakers to set aside their religious beliefs and vote for the bill. He asked them to remember that once even slavery was legal.

"When I walk through these doors, my Bible stays out," Adams said.

"That's the wrong statement," Diaz countered later. "You should carry your Bible all the time."
  • Let's all remember that Ruben Diaz is a batshit crazy assman with an endless hard-on for Christianity and such a warped perception of reality that it's a wonder he was elected to such a high Democratic position in this state.
    How do I get hurt? My beliefs get hurt. My understanding of family values gets hurt. My belief in the bible gets hurt.
    "They accuse us of homophobia. They accuse us of being radicals. They accuse us of many things because they want to close the mouth of the church."
    "I AM the Church and I AM the State."
    The Bible says many things.
    the problem with adultery is that you have one man committing an act of infidelity towards a woman. An act of infidelity! In homosexuality, it's an act against nature...it's like having sexual relations with animals, many people also want it...
    They should get angry with Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Because if they are not being allowed to marry today in New York, it's Bloomberg's fault because - in '95 - a judge authorized [gay] marriage here. It was Mayor Michael Bloomberg who wanted to run for president who decided "No, no! Let's appeal that decision."
    And lastly and most bull-shitted-ly,
    "My religion doesn't allow me to dance, but that does not mean I don't go to the party. My religion doesn't allow me to drink. But that doesn't mean I can't hang around with my friends. My religion is against gay marriage. It means, I don't agree with what you do. But let's go out. Let's go to the movies. Let's be friends."
    If anyone is not getting re-elected, please let it be this douche.
  • edited December 2009
    the problem with adultery is that you have one man committing an act of infidelity towards a woman. An act of infidelity! In homosexuality, it's an act against nature...it's like having sexual relations with animals, many people also want it...
    This argument, along with the one that homosexuality leads to pedophilia, is one of the most abhorrent and disgusting perversions of human thought in history. Of course! Certain people are equivalent to animals, and tons of people have zoophilia!
    >How do I get hurt? My beliefs get hurt. My understanding of family values gets hurt. My belief in the bible gets hurt.
    What the fuck kind of statements are these!? He's a grown man, he should have convictions. No one should be able to sway your beliefs by passing a law. That's not how things work in this nation.
    "They accuse us of homophobia. They accuse us of being radicals. They accuse us of many things because they want to close the mouth of the church."
    The church isn't the one making the laws. Goddammit, people like this man make me ashamed of my faith and my country. This is disgusting.

Expatriating looks nicer every day. I wonder if people in Vancouver or Toronto are welcoming? Perhaps Australia. Get somewhere warm.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Holy fucking fuck. Fuck that guy. How crazy can you get?

Also, "asspope" is my new favorite word. You're really good at this, you know that?
  • This is the full list, Cremlian's seems to be missing people:

* Eric Adams (D) — YES
    * Joseph Addabbo (D) — NO
    * James Alesi (R) — NO
    * Darrel Aubertine (D) — NO
    * John Bonacic (R) — NO
    * Neil Breslin (D) — YES
    * John DeFrancisco (R) — NO
    * Ruben Diaz (D) — NO
    * Martin Malave Dilan (D) — YES
    * Tom Duane (D) — YES
    * Pedro Espada (D) — YES
    * Hugh Farley (R) — NO
    * John Flanagan (R) — NO
    * Brian Foley (D) — YES
    * Charles Fuschillo, Jr. (R) — NO
    * Martin Golden (R) — NO
    * Joseph Griffo (R) — NO
    * Kemp Hannon (R) — NO
    * Ruth Hassell-Thompson (D) — YES
    * Shirley Huntley (D) — NO
    * Craig Johnson (D) — YES
    * Owen Johnson (R) — NO
    * Jeffrey Klein (D) — YES
    * Liz Krueger (D) — YES
    * Carl Kruger (D) — NO
    * Andrew Lanza (R) — NO
    * Bill Larkin (R) — NO
    * Kenneth LaValle (R) — NO
    * Vincent Leibell (R) — NO
    * Tom Libous (R) — NO
    * Elizabeth Little (R) — NO
    * Carl Marcellino (R) — NO
    * George Maziarz (R) — NO
    * Roy McDonald (R) — NO
    * Hiram Monserrate (D) — NO
    * Velmanette Montgomery (D) — YES
    * Thomas Morahan (R) — NO
    * Michael Nozzolio (R) — NO
    * George Onorato (D) — NO
    * Suzi Oppenheimer (D) — YES
    * Frank Padavan (R) — NO
    * Kevin Parker (D) — YES
    * Bill Perkins (D) — YES
    * Michael Ranzenhofer (R) — NO
    * Joseph Robach (R) — NO
    * Stephen Saland (R) — NO
    * John Sampson (D) — YES
    * Diane Savino (D) — YES
    * Eric Schneiderman (D) — YES
    * Jose Serrano (D) — YES
    * James Seward (R) — NO
    * Dean Skelos (R) — NO
    * Malcolm Smith (D) — YES
    * Daniel Squadron (D) — YES
    * William Stachowski (D) — NO
    * Toby Ann Stavisky (D) — YES
    * Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D) — YES
    * Antoine Thompson (D) — YES
    * David Valesky (D) — YES
    * Dale Volker (R) — NO
    * George Winner (R) — NO
    * Catherine Young (R) — NO
  • This makes me more sad than angry, because I'm not surprised by it.

And that just makes it sadder.

At least this doesn't take away our right to legal acknowledgment if married in a different state. Connecticut, here we come...before somebody tries to take that away too.
  • edited December 2009
    Incredibly freaking disappointing.

If California approved Prop 8, and New York denied the passing of this Bill, then not much is really left, is there?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Same-sex marriage is permitted in five of the 50 states:

* In Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, and Vermont, marriages for same sex couples are legal and currently performed.
    * In New Hampshire, same-sex marriages will begin on January 1, 2010.

States which previously allowed same-sex marriage:

* In California, same-sex marriages were performed between June 16, 2008 and November 4, 2008. The marriages that were performed during this period are still recognized. On October 12, 2009, Governor Schwarzenegger signed SB 54 allowing same-sex marriages from other states or foreign countries performed on or before November 4, 2008, to be recognized as well.

States which recognize same-sex marriage but do not grant same-sex marriage certificates:

* In New York and Washington, D.C., same-sex marriages from other states or foreign countries are recognized but they are not performed.
    * In Rhode Island, two opinions of the attorney general suggest that same-sex marriages should be recognized, but a state Supreme Court opinion appears to contradict this position; same-sex marriages are not performed in Rhode Island.
    We are behind Iowa... WTF?
  • If California approved Prop 8, and New York denied the passing of this Bill, then not much is really left, is there?
    There is still some hope. (Yay, Washington! /flex)
  • If California approved Prop 8,
    Most people outside of California don't realize that outside of LA and San Francisco, it's pretty conservative.
  • San Francisco, it's pretty conservative.
    If I were to ever live in Cali, it would be here. The weather is fairly closes to Washington weather, plus San Fran is such a fun town to hang out in. Expensive, but fun.
  • Joseph Robach (R) — NO
    Jesus fucking fuckpants. My elected official doesn't represent my views one bit.
  • Joseph Robach (R) — NO
    Jesus fucking fuckpants. My elected official doesn't represent my views one bit.
    Welcome to America! Perhaps you misunderstood how we operate here.
  • San Fran is such a fun town to hang out in. Expensive, but fun.
    Right on both counts, which is why we're planning on moving to Portland when our obligations here are up. It's got a lot in common with SF, but it's way, way, cheaper. Plus, awesome vegan food everywhere.
  • Today I learned about the Anti-Homosexuality Bill proposed in Uganda this year. I am outraged and disgusted. The bill not only punishes homosexual behavior, but with the most severe punishments imaginable: Livelong imprisonment and even death. Hell, they even want to put people into prison for up to 3 years for knowing about people being gay and not reporting it.
  • If California approved Prop 8,
    Most people outside of California don't realize that outside of LA and San Francisco, it's pretty conservative.
    Conservative or Christian? Can you point to a Conservative who opposes gay marriage based on Conservative ideas and not Christian ones? Gay marriage does not conflict with the Conservative ideology so I would like to see an example of gay marriage being opposed based on Conservatism alone.
  • Conservative or Christian? Can you point to a Conservative who opposes gay marriage based on Conservative ideas and not Christian ones? Gay marriage does not conflict with the Conservative ideology so I would like to see an example of gay marriage being opposed based on Conservatism alone.
    Okay, conservative, Christian, whatever. You know what I mean. They're all assholes in my book. :)