This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super memory

edited May 2008 in Technology
Preface: Super memory is a kind of memory training that is touted (though I am unable to verify) as being able to allow to to specifically memorize things that you choose by revising things at specific intervals (1 day on, 2, days on, 4 days on .. 60 days on) and the people who came up with it make money by selling books and software that allows you to set reminders for what to revise.
I think I first heard about this on FNPL but I've been having trouble finding independent views (at least ones not along the lines of "scientists baffled") and seeing what it claims, there is a deficiency of people religiously devoted to it's wonders. I'm thinking of giving it a try for the lulz as: the outcome is easy to measure, it doesn't cost to much to buy a book or two on the subject and hasn't really peaked my skeptisensor so I'm thinking of giving it a try and keeping notes on how it turns out.
Questions:
1) Anyone know of any serious analysis?
2) What do you personally think of the viability of training ones memory?
3) How effective do you think something like this can be?

This is in technology as there isn't a science section.

Comments

• I can, I think, answer 2 and 3.

I think it is very possible to train ones memory. After all, isn't that what studying and school does? Most people learn by practicing or reviewing something again and again. Essentially, that's what this practicing does, but it sets specific intervals.

How effective, I believe, is how far you take it and the material. I don't believe one would be able to remember say, 1000 digits of pi in any suitable amount of time. For smaller things, like what we learn in a history class throughout the year, it is probably pretty effective.