This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Perfect Letter

edited May 2008 in Flamewars
I forgot to read the JREF newsletter last few weeks, so I caught up today. While reading, I came across this letter.

In case you don't want to read the letter, here's the deal. This guy was typing Genesis into his computer, probably in Microsoft Word. Because Word has an automatic spelling and grammar check, it was underlining words automatically. The guy was obviously incredibly ignorant because he thought that this automatic underlining was god speaking to him.

This is such a great example because it so perfectly illustrates the kind of thinking religious people have. They see something in the world that they personally do not comprehend. When they witness natural phenomena that they do not understand, they attribute them to supernatural forces. They don't comprehend evolution, so they attribute the creation of life to some creation event. They don't understand real medicine, so they cling to phony homeopathy ideas that make sense to them.

I think this is just such a great example to get this point across, at least on a forum, because I hope you all understand automatic spell check.

Comments

• And this guy really needs some proofreading. It's so full of Capitalization and nutterspeak I can't understand it.
  • Am I evil for laughing hard at this? XD
    No, not at all.
  • edited May 2008
    That letter has incredibly poor grammar too. I wouldn't necessarily pin this as a result of religious thinking, just very low intelligence.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I was incapable of following whatever the hell that guy was writing about from about "What has developed so far." After that it becomes something incomprehensible by the human mind. Perhaps God guided his hands in that paragraph?
  • edited May 2008
    That IS God talking to him. That's God saying, "Get your dumbass a dictionary!" :-D
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • What, no defense put up by the indignant Christians on the board?
  • edited May 2008
    You might think he's an idiot, but what if God thinks he's a genius and we are the idiots? I think I remember some early Christian sect using the same dialect displayed by this scholar. How else could he have known this dialect but through either hard fought scholarship or divine intervention? I'm torn between respect for the recent advances of Christian scientists to account for divine intervention through quantum entanglement effects and fear that they might be on the path to Hell for not respecting faith. What do you think?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    No, not at all.
    I think anyone can appreciate the humor of this.
  • You might think he's an idiot, but what if God thinks he's a genius and we are the idiots? I think I remember some early Christian sect using the same dialect displayed by this scholar. How else could he have known this dialect but through either hard fought scholarship or divine intervention? I'm torn between respect for the recent advances of Christian scientists to account for divine intervention through quantum entanglement effects and fear that they might be on the path to Hell for not respecting faith. What do you think?
    Gotta work on your impersonation skills. That doesn't sound like me at all. :P
  • Gotta work on your impersonation skills. That doesn't sound like me at all. :P
    Yeah, you didn't use enough ":)"'s.
  • Gotta work on your impersonation skills. That doesn't sound like me at all. :P
    Sail knows where it's at. :)
  • edited May 2008
    Gotta work on your impersonation skills. That doesn't sound like me at all. :P
    You're right.
    You might think he's an idiot, but what if God thinks he's a genius and we are the idiots? :) I think I remember some early Christian sect using the same dialect displayed by this scholar.:) How else could he have known this dialect but through either hard fought scholarship or divine intervention? :) I'm torn between respect for the recent advances of Christian scientists to account for divine intervention through quantum entanglement effects and fear that they might be on the path to Hell for not respecting faith.:) What do you think? :)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I love Jesus :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  • Now you're getting somewhere.
  • Now you're getting somewhere.
    Is it me getting somewhere, or is it God getting somewhere? :)
  • I have to believe that this was written as a joke...I pray it was a joke...
  • edited May 2008
    What, no defense put up by the indignant Christians on the board?
    Actually, I think the Christians could make some hay out of the oft-used argument that this is just anecdotal evidence of one stupid guy and so it shouldn't even be considered.

Where is the statistical evidence that Christians are stupid? Where is the statistical evidence that Christians explain things that they can't understand with faith and religion? Until such evidence is produced, anecdotal evidence such as this doesn't prove anything and should be ignored.