This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Want Higher Quality Youtube Videos?

From What I can tell, this actually works, at the end of the url put the following:

&fmt=18
if that doesn't work try
&fmt=6

I think this works but it is awesome, I don't know if this is true but enjoy.

Comments

• Works for me. Where do you find this?
  • Woah, sound quality gets so much better.
  • Oh, I see it now. Wow, I'm going to be doing this to all my YouTube videos from now on. YouTube must be experimenting with HD. Also, the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary and JREF has $1 million for you.
  • I don't get it. It feels the same to me.
  • Yeah, lifehacker's better youtube extension has an option for "Hd youtube", which I'm pretty sure just appends that stuff to the end of youtube urls.

And yeah, the only real difference I'm seeing (actually, hearing) is the sound quality. I wouldn't even go as far as saying that it's better, just merely louder.
  • Wait, did you delete your previous post? How?
    You whisper it to yourself. I just decided to play along since that's what you guys seemed to be doing.

But seriously, all this does is resize the video to make it slightly smaller, and even then it only works on some videos. This would make the quality seem better. Also, there has been no difference than I can tell in the audio quality. In the end, the page still streams the exact same .flv file and no little tag at the end of the url is going to change that.
  • Are you kidding? I'm seeing a serious video quality difference. Try it on a college humor video or something that you know must exist in higher quality.

high quality
    regular quality
  • high quality
    regular quality
    Well, I guess I'm just wrong.
  • high quality
    regular quality
    Well, I guess I'm just wrong.
    ...or it just works on some videos and not others.
  • NOW I can see it! I just had to view them back-to-back.
  • Wow this is a pretty useful tool, thanks.
  • Youtube announced a while ago that they will begin releasing videos in higher quality. I suppose this hack just forces the issue. I think people are having varying results because the original videos vary in terms of resolution.
  • Are you kidding? I'm seeing a serious video quality difference. Try it on a college humor video or something that you know must exist in higher quality.

high quality
    regular quality
    Yeah Really.

It doesn't work for all of them, but most, watch this for details

Youtube HQ Hack Lolz