This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Noses on smileys, useful or useless?

jccjcc
edited May 2008 in Flamewars
What say ye, forums?

*Edit: Fixed!

Comments

• edited May 2008
    I say, "Stop using emoticons. No more emoticons, please."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I hate the nose.
    I think it's okay as long as it's not in every single damn sentence or post.

By the way....

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
  • I never use noses on my emoticons, the few that I do use.
    Perhaps this is just me, but I find "XD", the emoticon, far more acceptable than "lol", even though they communicate the same information. Realistically, they're both a sign of lazy writing, tho.
  • I would have to agree with both Viga, emoticons are useful sometimes if only to show how you are feeling through text.
  • Emoticons, in their purest form, are a nice, non-invasive touch to a very, very, VERY casual message. In forum posts, they can be used ironically, or to enhance a message (like curses were originally supposed to be), but a poster who uses them all the time will never be taken seriously.

Also, they help show an emotion with a message, which is important on the internet. I could say something in jest to someone, but, unless there's a little : ) after the message, they may not understand the meaning. Until the emotion detector is invented for the internet, this is the best we have. Now we just need a sarcasm emoticon...

Smileys, however, are an abomination, and should never be utilized by a program or forum. They take a cute little picture and make it invasive and annoying.
  • edited May 2008
    I use emoticons a lot while talking to people on AIM. I think they're more appropriate for things that are meant to be read right away and to people that you want to know your reaction. As opposed to a forum, where your post might sit for a while before it's read.

edit: Would Slayer approve of the use of emoticons on a forum?
    Post edited by Usagimaru on
  • edited May 2008
    What with the random music videos, guys?

Anyways, I find that some emoticons, like "<_<" convey the message of being annoyed or thinking something someone said was dumb quite well. :P helps display sarcasm. Other than those emoticons, I don't really use any when I type. SOMETIMES I use :D on aim, but that's a rare occaison. I think XD is dumb. I think "lol" is better than "hahah" (at least on aim). Cause really, no one ever actually laughs out loud, or says haha or any of that crap, so "lol" is pretty much the easiest and most well recognized way of conveying that something was funny.
    Lastly, any of the "asian" or anime styled emoticons (other than "<_<", which I do like) annoy the hell out of me. I'm an anime fan, so you'd think that they wouldn't. But no, they annoy me.

That's my 2 cents on emoticons.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited May 2008
    Most of the time, I use emoticons to convey sarcasm (i.e. "rollingeyes"), or something else I find difficult to convey in just text. I'm definitley for it, as long as you don't go crazy with it.

As for the noses, they are pretty much useless, they get in the way, and they make them kind of ugly. Lol.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Emoticons, in their purest form, are a nice, non-invasive touch to a very, very, VERY casual message. In forum posts, they can be used ironically, or to enhance a message (like curses were originally supposed to be), but a poster who uses them all the time will never be taken seriously.
    Smileys, however, are an abomination, and should never be utilized by a program or forum. They take a cute little picture and make it invasive and annoying.
    Hmmm, I use the definitions the other way around, emoticon for the image crap, and smileys for the ASCII version. Why? EmotICON. Icon is an image, hence I use that for the images. I agree with the quoted parts if you switch those two words. :)

As for noses, eh, they are useless. :-) or :), both work, though personally I prefer the noseless one, it looks cuter.

@ Viga, Ha! I conquer~ .n_n.

(o'.')=o)'.')~OW!
  • =^o^=

I like emoticons, and usually I keep with the Asian ones, but lately it's been easier just to use the regular smileys for texting. I'm sure everyone has seen the ones I post around - mostly XD.
  • - mostly XD.
    Fishy! *goes in search of the degree sign*
  • edited May 2008
    I would agree that emoticons are small images and smilies are made of text.

Also this brings back memories of 1997, one of the first thing on my first website was a collection of smiley faces that I found and some I made up. They had noses. Check it out the Smiley Face Database (not actually a database but a list; database rhymed):

http://www.lukeburrage.com/archive/stuff/smiley.html

I even came up with :-----) pinnochio. Go 16 year old me!
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Noses on smilies are like noses in drawing, worthless.
    But sometimes they look freaking weird without.
    Eeeehhhh? Nanda sore?
  • edited May 2008
    I personally don't like noses on smileys. Nose-less smileys have always looked cuter to me for some reason, and nosed smileys have always looked... oh what would be the word for it... stiff? Forced? I think it's because I was used to seeing smileys with noses in the old "introduction to the internet!" books my parents gave me as a kid. After reading those books, however, I would go out and see mostly smileys with no noses on the actual internet. Thus, I tended to associate nosed smileys with examples in a book that no one actually used in the real world. Noseless smileys just became more "natural-looking" to me.

As for smileys in general, I'm probably in kage_rod's camp. I try to limit the number of smileys that I use, but I do like to use them a lot. I find them cute, and I like that they can help to better convey the tone of a message. The latter is especially useful on the internet, where it is very easy to misunderstand the intentions of people's words. Their main use in that field is to show someone that you are just playing around or being sarcastic, rather than making an entirely serious comment. In the case of sad or angry-looking smileys, they can also help lighten a message, but in a different way. Sad smileys imply that while you might be feeling bad, you're at least not so down that you can't make a cute face showing that you're a bit bummed.

I actually quite like the "XD" face, by the way. I think it gets across the same message as "lol," but without implying that you're really laughing out loud. You could just be grinning in a very amused/amusing fashion. ;)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • XD°

Blub.
  • (X'______________')
  • (X'______________')
    HOLY FREAKING AWESOME! :D

Mud.