This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080522 - Geek Profiles: Gerald

edited May 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we profile fellow geek podcaster Gerald Rathkolb of the Anime World Order.

Comments

• This. Was. Awesome. I'm really liking these Geek profiles, very interesting results from such a 'simple' idea. I really like the fact that not only does the listener learn more about the geek being profiled, but also from Rym and Scott. A lot of laughs are had during playback. :)

Also, as Rym requested, bother~bother~bother, waiting for Geek profiles for Clarissa, Daryl, Dave, Joel, Rym, Scott, Emily, Viga and ... darn, I suck at remembering names. Any other cool geek that you can come up with.
  • Also, as Rym requested, bother~bother~bother, waiting for Geek profiles for Clarissa, Daryl, Dave, Joel, Rym, Scott, Emily, Viga and ... darn, I suck at remembering names. Any other cool geek that you can come up with.
    Maybe we'll do some with the crew this weekend. Of course, they won't all go up right away... ^_~
  • Wil Wheaton? Randall Munroe?
  • Wil Wheaton? Randall Munroe?
    Who?
  • You know who Wil Wheaton is. And Randall Munroe is the XKCD guy.
  • Gabe and Tycho equals epic win for all. Just saying.

How about some of the FRC gals! Geek gals forever!
  • Gerald describes my listener profile. :)
  • In addition to those already said, I want Geek profiles for Scott Johnson, Paul Chapman, Rich Burlew, Brent, and the Brudlos brothers.
  • Randall Munroe?
    Oh yes! YES YES YES! That would be so fricking awesome. Thanks Starfox, wasn't thinking about webcomic artists. On the same note, perhaps Anath and/or Hawk from Applegeeks. And who's Wil Wheaton?
  • Just don't ever do a Geek profile of Chris Pirillo. I can't stand that guy.
  • Just don't ever do a Geek profile ofChris Pirillo. I can't stand that guy.
    Who? I don't know half the people you guys are talking about.
  • Who?
    He was on Tech-TV with Leo Laporte. Anyone who has seen him will know how insanely irritating he is.
  • Who?
    He was on Tech-TV with Leo Laporte. Anyone who has seen him will know how insanely irritating he is.
    I never watched TechTV. I discovered Leo Laporte when I discovered TwiT.
  • edited May 2008
    Dave and Joel, anyone?

Dudes from Penny Arcade...?

Daryl Surat?

Other than that, I got nothing...except that I just gotta say that I'm really liking these episodes and I really look forward to more geek profiles!
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Dave, Joel, Daryl Surat, Paul Chapman, and Patrick Macias would all be pretty rocking.
  • I really liked the two episodes, but if they keep only doing that, Thursdays (d)evolve into GeekNights Clubhouse.
  • I really liked the two episodes, but if they keep only doing that, Thursdays (d)evolve into GeekNights Clubhouse.
    I really doubt it. Once they get through their podcaster friends, then through their personal friends, then certain forumers, they'll be out of content and thus will have to do other stuff. Plus, don't forget that they're doing that follow up to the book club episode in a few weeks.
  • Knizia for the win.
  • edited May 2008
    This might be way out there but how about Bryan Lee O'Malley.

Tenchi from here would be cool too. You could ask her about the Candian fandom and gothic lolita! <3
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited May 2008
    This might be way out there but how about Bryan Lee O'Malley.

Tenchi from here would be cool too. You could ask her about the Candian fandom and gothic lolita! <3</p>
    Canadian fandom isn't really that much different. The coolest, most semi-unique thing I can think of is Anime Alberta, the group mostly responsible for helping the already-growing anime boom get even bigger in this province than it is in most of the rest of the country. It has a fairly interesting history and cast of characters attached to it. Heck, it'd probably be better to get GeekNights in touch with Mark Nguyen or Dan Ross, the founders of Anime Alberta, if they want to talk about Canadian/Albertan fandom.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • How about katsu? I want to hear about kendo.
    I really doubt it. Once they get through their podcaster friends, then through their personal friends, then certain forumers, they'll be out of content and thus will have to do other stuff. Plus, don't forget that they're doing that follow up to the book club episode in a few weeks.
    What if it was a "Summer Special," giving Scrym a break while they brainstormed some new ideas?
  • I really doubt it. Once they get through their podcaster friends, then through their personal friends, then certain forumers, they'll be out of content and thus will have to do other stuff. Plus, don't forget that they're doing that follow up to the book club episode in a few weeks.
    I think you vastly underestimate the geek networking Scrym has done.
  • I'm about 60% done with this episode, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll go ahead and echo the nth-ing of further podcast-buddy episodes.

Maybe Steve Jackson? Hell, if the guys over at Otaku Generation can interview him (even if their recording got munged up) then I see no reason why it's outside the realm of the Wonder Scrym Powers.
  • edited May 2008
    I really like Murder By Death.
    !!!

I thought I was the only one who'd seen that! Murder By Death is one of my favourite movies as well, and I highly recommend it. So many great lines that I'll probably remember for the rest of my life. Some of the bits are kind of corny by today's standards, but even that I think is interesting to see just when comparing 70s humour to today's humour. Also, stars a bunch of Hollywood's old greats, like Dame Maggie Smith, Peter Falk, Peter Sellers, Alec Guiness, and David Niven. And as Gerald mentioned, TRUMAN CAPOTE IS THE MAN. ;D

Sidney Wang: Only leave one question... Who victim?
    Lionel Twain: ...Is the. IS THE. "Who IS THE victim?!" That drives me crazy!

[later]

Sidney Wang: ...Is confusing.
    Lionel Twain: IT! "IT is confusing!" Say your goddamn pronouns!
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Another Murder By Death fan here. Gerald has good taste. I'm especially fond of Maggie Smith's very polite announcement of her poisoning.
  • I would like to see some of the other ideas for Geeknights: the Lounge. While I like the Profiles in Geek having too often might just turn Thursdays into Geeknights Interview night. Although I would like to see some non-podcaster interviews. I would like to see some movie reviews or some round tables.