This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Odyssey of the Mind

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
Another obligation of marriage - I have to spend my Sunday afternoon watching my nephew participate in the Odyssey of the Mind finals in College Park.

Have you heard about this thing? I'm gonna tell my nephew, "I've got an 'Odyssey of the Mind' for you kid - the rent is due. Try that for an odyssey."

Comments

• You could've not went. Made something up perhaps? Is it really obligation?

*treasures her marriage free life greatly*
  • You could've not went. Made something up perhaps? Is it really obligation?
    Yes, it is really an obligation.

I just got back. That was the most useless thing I've seen in a very, very long time.
  • Very weird, and the 8-minute time limit serves to make it weirder.
  • I was in OM in high school. It was just another group the "smart kids" joined. Most of us joined because it was a great way to get out of classes and play stupid games. I have to say, a lot of the parents were WAY more into it than the kids, to the point that their input bordered on cheating. It is just a big joke.

Why do you have to go see your nephew, are you and your wife raising him? If not, who cares if the Uncle is there?
  • I was in OM one year in middle school. We got second place in the regional competition. We would have gotten first place if they didn't dock our team 20 points because I was trash talking the other teams. Of course, I was right to be trash talking because as it turns out we were better than the rest, just not 20 points better than the second best team. Even worse, the judges would never have known about it if this kid on the other OM team from my school didn't complain. Funny thing, they apparently didn't require that he present evidence. If I was smarter in those days, I would have had people go up and rat out all the teams.
  • That sounds... retarded. I guess ultimately, you wouldn't have cared because of how retarded OM is?
  • I was in OM one year in middle school. We got second place in the regional competition. We would have gotten first place if they didn't dock our team 20 points because I was trash talking the other teams.
    HA! Classic Scott.