This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bargain Bins

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
From time to time I still visit a brick and mortar store. I did so at a Best Buy kind of electronics retailer a few weeks ago because I had some time to kill and went through the bargain bin of DVDs. Apparently they tried to get rid of some unsold anime (no wonder at 20€ for 3 episodes). The results after I dug through about 25 copies of xXx2 and every HD-DVD ever made:

Lupin the 3rd: Dragon of Doom
Street Fighter Alpha Generations
Samurai Champloo Volume 6
Samurai Champloo Volume 8
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Volume 2
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Volume 3
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2 Volume 3
X-Men (the first live action movie with Patrick Stewart)

3€ a pop for a total of 24€.

Today the same happened but the DVD bin was empty except for stuff that doesn't interest me. When I glanced over the CD bargain bin I spotted a CD I bought about two years ago for 15€ and another one I bought a year ago for 10€, each for 2€. I cursed a little although I found them worth more than what I payed for them at the time. I considered buying them and reselling them through amazon marketplace, but found the plan not worth it. I kept looking as they were in the same genre and thought there could be more. The result this time:

I heard they suck live by NOFX
Duh by Lagwagon
Teri Yakimoto by Guttermouth
Straight outta Lynwood by Weird Al Yankovic (including a bonus DVD)

Each for 2€. They had a few others I considered, namely the self-titled Thin Lizzy album, a random compilation album and Zeitgeist by The Smashing Pumpkins, but I thought I had enough music for now.

I'm not posting this to gloat but most of the time the bargain bins are just useless crap and many people don't consider going through them anyway. Even I only look through them out of boredom or curiosity. Do any of you go through bargain bins or do you consider them not worth it?

Comments

• Depends on the store. The bookstore bin usually has things I don't like or not interesting to me. The clothing stores are okay for accessories but the clothes might not fit. Game stores always have a few anime and games I take home. Best bargain bins in my opinion.
  • I've been a bin diver since I was around 8 (I never made mammy and daddy buy me games) and I've always found they're either completely full of crap and only crap, or nearly empty, but the stuff inside is gold. Also, Target had always been my luckiest place.

As for my trophies, this was my best haul ever (I think this was around 2004):
    Civilization 3: Gold Edition
    Neverwinter Nights: Platinum Edition
    Elder's Scrolls III: Morrowind
    All for $30
  • Depends...Book stores I usually never care about, cause 90% of the time it's just some recycled trash romance novels.
    Gamestops are usually pretty damn good. The PS2 bargain bins and the GBC/GBA used racks are usually goldmines. I've found $15 Katamaris, $7 Metroid fusions, just cheap shit in general that's usually not half bad if you look through the entire thing.
    Oh, when gamestops used to have DVD racks, they were gold mines. I got all 3 LOTR movies for $15.
  • Man, I found Lewis Black's Nothings Sacred and America: The Book in a bargain bin at Borders once. Best $10 I have ever spent.
  • Half Priced Books is the best chain ever. I can go in there with a $20 bill and walk out with five or so books, mostly hardcover, all in really good condition.