This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Removing the Voice from an audio file

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
I'm trying to make a karaoke version of a song, so that I can sing over it. (I'm making a parody) The only problem is, everywhere I look, all I can find are sub-par solutions, which half work, or don't even do what I need them to.

Basically, I need someone to help me do this, or at least describe the process/recommend a program.

Comments

• The only problem is, everywhere I look, all I can find are sub-par solutions, which half work, or don't even do what I need them to.
    Those are the only solutions that exist. There is no good or truly generic way short of having a separate track.

Most software that does it either removes the center channel or tries to do a frequency cut in vocal ranges: the best do both. None of these are perfect. For example, they'll almost always remove guitar solos in addition to vocals.
    edited June 2008
    There's no way to perfectly suppress the voice(s) in a song without having the exact voice only track. And no one solution works since every voice is different, frequency, amplitude, etc, that's also why voices sound different. I'd say just settle for the filter that works best, I generally find the stock filter in audio players to work acceptably well. The only downside is that you will lose some of the music too.

Damnit, Rym was faster.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited June 2008
    I was afraid that this would be the case, as I have at least a basic understanding of how audio works.

Can you recommend/Do you know of any of the better programs to use for this?

Edit: Myself, I was not aware that audio players had a filter like this. I did some looking and couldn't find anything like that. Enlighten me?
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I found that by using Fruityloops (I haven't used any open-source alternatives) you can get some pretty good results. Take your song, plug it into the slicer, and move any clips that have speech into a separate track. On that track, drop the centre channel and play with the EQ until any residual voice disappears.
  • Edit: Myself, I was not aware that audio players had a filter like this. I did some looking and couldn't find anything like that. Enlighten me?
    Not every music player has one, but sometimes under filters there's alongside Rock, Pop, Metal and so one name No Voice or Karaoke. I never need karaoke though, so when I bump into it, and I activate it just for fun, I'm pretty much satisfied with the result, since my demands are 0.