This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pasteurize. Seriously. Just do it.

Unpasteurized cheese leading to increased cases of TB in California.

As a government regulatory food scientist, I generally have to be careful about what I say to the public. However, I feel that I can safely assert that the consumption of unpasteurized dairy products may lead to an increased risk of contracting potentially severe foodborne illness.

Pasteurize your dairy products. It was invented for a reason. That is all.

Comments

• I'd say the real lesson here is don't buy smuggled bathtub cheese. o_O
  • I'd say the real lesson is drink human milk. Employ the poor to lactate permanently. Human milk is much better for, you know, humans. ^_^
  • Too bad it affects the taste.
  • Too bad it affects the taste.
    That's true, it does. You can decide for yourself if you'd like to gamble on contracting a severe foodborne illness for the sake of some tastier milk.
  • edited June 2008
    Too bad it affects the taste.
    Including things like apple cider.

If your worried about a unpasteurized product ask for a tour of the place it is made. The few places that still don't pasteurize it that I have been too have been happy to give me a tour and show me where they prepare it.

As for milk I am hit or miss. When I used to drink anything other than skim I didn't really mind but now going back it tastes like I am drinking a lot of sugar.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • You should get cider that's at least UV-treated, if not fully pasteurized. And no matter how clean a facility LOOKS, you'll never be certain as to the microbial safety of the product. Are you a trained HACCP auditor? How about a health inspector? Microbiologist? If not, you really lack the tools to judge the safety of an establishment by a visual inspection.

Again, it's your choice. Just make sure you're actually informed and educated.
  • edited June 2008
    Yes its UV treated and they showed all the inspections and they were checked by the Ohio board of heath and food safety. I agree going by looks is dangerous alone I should have explained myself further.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Yes its UV treated and they showed all the inspections and they were checked by the Ohio board of heath and food safety. I agree going by looks is dangerous alone I should have explained myself further.
    UV treatment is essentially the same as pasteurization or irradiation, so it's all good.

There are people that sell totally unpasteurized cider. That stuff's bad news.
  • Oh FDA, without you we would still be in the jungle.
  • edited June 2008
    Oh well, I don't drink milk to begin with. I'm partially lactose intolerant. If it's a ton of dairy at once (like a glass of milk), I'm screwed. I can handle a little cheese on a pizze, though (thank God).

edit: whoops, guess this includes cheese, too. Oh well.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I'd say the real lesson is drink human milk. Employ the poor to lactate permanently. Human milk is much better for, you know, humans. ^_^
    YES! Cow's milk is produced FOR CALVES, just like human milk is produced by a human mother for her human baby. The milk consists of exactly that what is needed for the child to grow up healthy. But nooooooo, humans are idiots, who the hell thought it up anyway? "Let's squeeze those udders on that creature and drink whatever the hell comes out! It must be healthy!!!!!!1!!11!eleventyone1 Especially if we fuck around with it even more and force those creatures to eat more crap so that they produce even more! MOAR!" You know what pasteurizing does? It heats the milk up, do you know what happens when stuff heats up? Enzymes get destroyed, lactase for example, the enzyme needed to break up lactose. We humans don't make nearly enough lactase to properly digest cow's milk. Well, you could solve that by not pasteurizing it, but shit, that way bacteria that make you sick are also left in the milk because you didn't kill them by pasteurizing the milk!

Reason why I don't drink or eat any dairy products.
    YES! Cow's milk is produced FOR CALVES, just like human milk is produced by a human mother for her human baby. The milk consists of exactly that what is needed for the child to grow up healthy. But nooooooo, humans are idiots, who the hell thought it up anyway? "Let's squeeze those udders on that creature and drink whatever the hell comes out! It must be healthy!!!!!!1!!11!eleventyone1 Especially if we fuck around with it even more and force those creatures to eat more crap so that they produce even more! MOAR!" You know what pasteurizing does? It heats the milk up, do you know what happens when stuff heats up? Enzymes get destroyed, lactase for example, the enzyme needed to break up lactose. We humans don't make nearly enough lactase to properly digest cow's milk. Well, you could solve that by not pasteurizing it, but shit, that way bacteria that make you sick are also left in the milk because you didn't kill them by pasteurizing the milk!

Reason why I don't drink or eat any dairy products.
    I know nothing about the industry, but I think I can say this much:
    We, as humans, have two nipples. Cows have, what... 6? I'm pretty sure that 6 milk-excreting nipples are more efficient for an industry. Milk is generally very similar between mammals, so trying cow's milk in an attempt to find a new, healthy beverage isn't that large a risk. Of course, I don't know if the original people who tried cow's milk knew that, so perhaps they were just a bit tipsy off of the fermented grapes, shall we say..
    edited June 2008
    Cows have, what... 6?
    4. By your logic, why aren't we milking pigs? They have 8 nipples!

Edit:
    in an attempt to find a new, healthy beverage isn't that large a risk.
    Throwback to an old TotD:
    "Your body needs water, SO DRINK THAT SHIT!"

On that path, I cannot understand people that drink milk and whine that it tastes bad after pasteurization. It's not good for you! And if it tastes bad why the hell do you keep drinking it!? Drink something that's healthy for you, something that your body needs in large quantities, say, water. If you want taste, put it in, sure, some tastes are horribly sweet, but you can easily digest that sugar and get energy out of it.
    Post edited by ... on
  • If you stop drinking milk, make sure to find another source of calcium and Vitamin D. In the winter you especially need Vitamin D, because there won't be so much sunlight.
    You know what pasteurizing does? It heats the milk up, do you know what happens when stuff heats up? Enzymes get destroyed, lactase for example, the enzyme needed to break up lactose. We humans don't make nearly enough lactase to properly digest cow's milk.
    Not exactly true. Lactose intolerance varies widely across the world. In cultures where consumption of dairy products after weaning is uncommon, lactose intolerance is very common. In cultures like the US, where consumption of dairy products is common, the rates of lactose intolerance are very low.

Milk is not "bad" for you. It's an excellent source of both protein and calcium, and skim milk is a great source of protein where one doesn't want fat to muck things up. Most of the enzymes destroyed by pasteurization aren't really necessary, and since they've bovine enzymes anyhow, you get a vastly lower rate of utilization out of them.

Yogurt is very healthful, particular if you eat lowfat or fat-free yogurt. Yogurt can be a probiotic, helping with digestion. Other dairy products, particularly aged cheeses, are naturally very very low in lactose (since the bacteria used to make it digest the lactose), so those shouldn't be a problem.

The whole "cow's milk is for cows, so don't drink it" argument is really a bit crap. The domestication of cattle was a huge advance in human agriculture. We find all kinds of uses for animal products; milk happens to be one of those products.

If you'd like to try setting up some kind of human milking operation, be my guest. The primary reason for milk consumption as an infant is to pass along immunity, and to provide nourishment. Once the immunity thing is no longer needed, nourishment is the only reason, and, well, cow's milk can provide the nourishment.
  • edited June 2008
    Cows have, what... 6?
    4. By your logic, why aren't we milking pigs? They have 8 nipples!
    Is pig milk good for humans? I know nothing here, but I think that cows' milk is closer to ours in chemical makeup... I'm really not sure, though.

Edit:
    in an attempt to find a new, healthy beverage isn't that large a risk.
    Throwback to an old TotD:
    "Your body needs water, SO DRINK THAT SHIT!"

On that path, I cannot understand people that drink milk and whine that it tastes bad after pasteurization. It's not good for you! And if it tastes bad why the hell do you keep drinking it!? Drink something that's healthy for you, something that your body needs in large quantities, say, water. If you want taste, put it in, sure, some tastes are horribly sweet, but you can easily digest that sugar and get energy out of it.The throwback doesn't work, since milk is mostly water, plus some stuff that's mostly nutritional for us. The stuff that's not strictly "good for us," most of us have developed a tolerance to.
    I personally agree with you that people who whine about milk tasting bad after pasteurization are foolish, just for different reasons. I say that they should take what they've got, and be stupid and take the risk if they like.

-EDIT- Sorry about the blockquote issues. I should have previewed my post before posting it, and I can't seem to fix it...
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Imagine a bunch of women hooked up to breast pumps in a milk processing plant. I'm not quite sure how that would work out.
  • Imagine a bunch of women hooked up to breast pumps in a milk processing plant. I'm not quite sure how that would work out.
    As a lover of boobies, I denounce the exploitation of women for milk consumption.
    As a lover of boobies, I denounce the exploitation of women for milk consumption.
    I concur. Boobies should be allowed to bounce around freely and not be oppressed by the corporate machines.

Their are already Milk Banks for women to donate extra mommy milk. So it can be given to infants at homes and hospitals. I guess they also use something called the Holder Method of Pasteurization. They say it kills bacteria but keeps the majority of the beneficial components. I've got no idea how it works. The whole operation seems to work a lot like blood banks.
  • I guess they also use something called the Holder Method of Pasteurization.
    I looked it up. Holder Pasteurization is 62.5 degrees Celcius for 30 minutes. What say experts? Is this enough?
  • I guess they also use something called the Holder Method of Pasteurization.
    I looked it up. Holder Pasteurization is 62.5 degrees Celcius for 30 minutes. What say experts? Is this enough?
    Usually. Might not work on some spore-formers, but those are tough to deal with as it is. We get some milk that's pasteurized this way; they usually refer to it as being "heat-treated."
  • Just so y'all know, I was mostly joking about the human milk.
  • I just don't understand this trend of rejecting advances that we should regard with deep gratitude. Why in the world would anyone think to say that pasteurization is bad in any way? It's like the people who denounce vaccines. Worse, it's like the people who decry evolution. We've come so far. Why do people want to throw advances away?
  • YES! Cow's milk is produced FOR CALVES, just like human milk is produced by a human mother for her human baby. The milk consists of exactly that what is needed for the child to grow up healthy. But nooooooo, humans are idiots, who the hell thought it up anyway?
    So by your logic we should also be cannibals?
  • edited June 2008
    YES! Cow's milk is produced FOR CALVES, just like human milk is produced by a human mother for her human baby. The milk consists of exactly that what is needed for the child to grow up healthy. But nooooooo, humans are idiots, who the hell thought it up anyway?
    So by your logic we should also be cannibals?
    That is a completely inaccurate analogy as human milk is intended to feed humans, whereas eating human flesh has been shown to have terrible side-effects.

EDIT: Pasturization is a GOOD thing. I worked on a dairy farm in high-school for a while. Let me tell you - unpasturized milk is not worth any percieved taste difference. (Then again, I use skim milk or soy milk, so fattier/creamier milk is not my taste.)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2008
    I just don't understand this trend of rejecting advances that we should regard with deep gratitude. Why in the world would anyone think to say that pasteurization is bad in any way? It's like the people who denounce vaccines. Worse, it's like the people who decry evolution. We've come so far. Why do people want to throw advances away?
    I don't know, the anti-vaccination group is pretty horrendous.
    whereas eating human flesh has been shown to have terrible side-effects.
    Really? What kind of side-effects?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • whereas eating human flesh has been shown to have terrible side-effects.
    Really? What kind of side-effects? Diseases akin to hoof-in-mouth. The WhaleShark can fill you in on the details.
  • Really? What kind of side-effects?
    Kuru, for one. In general, disease is much more a concern the closer you are to what it is you're eating. Feeding cows to cows hasn't worked out so well for us.
  • Diseases akin to hoof-in-mouth...
    It should be foot-in-mouth disease! Ohohoho... sorry, I couldn't resist.