This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moving to New York

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
I must appeal to the group mind. This fall I will be moving to New York (Brooklyn or Manhattan). Aside from the wrist slashing rent levels, things would be fine...if I had some idea of the area. I spent a weekend up in Manhattan a few months ago when I finalized my arrangements but I really don't know a lot of the logistics of moving across the country. Yes, that is one of the issues right there. I live in California. Snow is this strange, abstract concept that I haven't quite yet mastered. The same can be said for my understanding of this concept of functional public transportation (Actually I'm too harsh. Busses in LA can be useful if you are traveling between certain locations. I bussed to work in Hollywood for two months with little problem.)

The point being, I know there is a fair number of you fine people in the New York area that may be able to offer a few points to a poor (and soon to be poorer) grad student. I've heard frightening tales of the cost just to find an apartment, and I'm not quite sure as to the logistics of fitting it out with furniture and the like. Also, I'll probably be pulling crazy hours out there, so is it still safe to be heading back to Brooklyn from Greenwich at 2AM or should I really make an effort to get somewhere in Manhattan (I know it hurts financially, but I'd be able to manage it). Beyond that, what unknown perils do I face? At least I can plan for furniture hunting--the same can not be said for problems that I am unaware of.

Comments

• The subway system is pretty quick to learn, if you're not stupid. http://www.mta.info/ has all the information you need about NYC public transit, including maps and schedules.

Overall, the city is pretty safe. There are still some not so nice neighborhoods - my cousin just moved to 158th street, on the Bronx side of the East River: not so nice - but overall it's a very safe big city.
  • We'll do a show on this. ^_~
  • Well, something like 3/4 of all adults have SOME form of herpes, usually the oral version.

NYC has a large percentage of people with genital herpes, which is far more unpleasant.

So, be responsible. Condoms ftw.
  • Is herpes really that common? It doesn't seem like the amount of effort going towards fighting it is proportional to how widespread it is.
  • Is herpes really that common? It doesn't seem like the amount of effort going towards fighting it is proportional to how widespread it is.
    Canker-sores are herpes.
  • Canker-sores are herpes.
    No, they aren't.
  • edited June 2008
    Ok, my biology teacher lied to me. (Should have assumed that.)
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • What a wonderfully informative tangent. I shall take this knowledge and be the better for it, without doubt--particularly regarding the lies of bio teachers. I remember the only place you could see my high school bio teacher outside of school was at the bar...
  • Ok, my biology teacher lied to me. (Should have assumed that.)
    Cold sores are herpes.
    Well, the most common herpes is HSV I, and it's more of an inconvenience than anything else. It doesn't actually do much other than exist. They can be kinda painful sometimes, but not too bad, from what I'm told.

Genital herpes is supposed to really suck, but it's less common.

Also, there is, as far as I know, a pretty extensive amount of research being done on herpes and herpes-like viruses.
  • edited June 2008
    The article said that over a quarter of New Yorkers have genital herpes. Bummer for the great city of New York. Thank goodness Scrym live in the safe suburbia of Beacon. I wonder if Kurt Russel is still trying to get out?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Maybe I should just cut my losses and stay in Los Angeles.
  • The biggest change for you will be the seasons. Winter in New York can be depressing at times. And of course New York City doesn't have the car culture that LA has. It's entirely possible to live within the city and not own a car.
  • We're a tough bunch in NY. We got seasons, unlike you west-coasters.
  • The biggest change for you will be the seasons. Winter in New York can be depressing at times. And of course New York City doesn't have the car culture that LA has. It's entirely possible to live within the city and not own a car.
    Oh, as far as cars go, I'm more than happy to go without. I avoid driving as much as I can and it's hard to have a life and not drive anywhere for it, even when you live near campus. I am overjoyed by my upcoming liberation from car culture. My Taurus will not be missed.
    The biggest change for you will be the seasons. Winter in New York can be depressing at times. And of course New York City doesn't have the car culture that LA has. It's entirely possible to live within the city and not own a car.
    Yeah, about that. I don't suppose New York would be up for giving winter a miss the year? I mean, really, is it necessary?
  • We're a tough bunch in NY. We gotseasons, unlike you west-coasters.
    I would rather not have to deal with winter ever again unless I am visiting.
  • I don't know how badly the city gets hit with snowstorms.

I'll say that winters in New York are nothing like they used to be. It's a rarity these days when a storm dumps more than a foot on the ground. Most storms are like a 6" accumulation, at least if you're outside the Adirondacks, or the snow belt.
    There is very little snow, even compared to the northern suburbs. The problem with winter in New York isn't the snow, it's the lack of sun. It's not uncommon to go for a few days without seeing the sun in the northeast.
    There is very little snow, even compared to the northern suburbs. The problem with winter in New York isn't the snow, it's the lack of sun. It's not uncommon to go for a few days without seeing the sun in the northeast.
    Yeah, that's true. Not a good place for people with Seasonal Affective.

It can get pretty cold, depending on where you live. Back in Crown Point, the coldest day on record happened when I was 12. Hit 48 below. Yeah, I didn't go outside that day.
  • No good, if there is one thing I can't take it's cold. My viking blood has failed me! (I'm a little rusty on the whole raping and pillaging exercise, too. Whenever will I find the time?)

I don't know if I have any issues with Seasonal Affective...I never really had to put up with it. Maybe I should have a shrink's phone numbers on my speed dial, eh?
  • No good, if there is one thing I can't take it's cold. My viking blood has failed me! (I'm a little rusty on the whole raping and pillaging exercise, too. Whenever will I find the time?)

I don't know if I have any issues with Seasonal Affective...I never really had to put up with it. Maybe I should have a shrink's phone numbers on my speed dial, eh?
    As long as you're in the city, it doesn't get anywhere near that cold.

Seriously, give the East coast a shot. We're good people over here.
  • A temperature below zero in New York is a minor miracle these days. Nonetheless, you can get some days that feel pretty darned cold. If it's "raw" out, that can get right to your bones. I'll take a 25 degree sunny day over a 40 degree wet day anytime.
  • Greenwich Village... Grad School... New York City... you wouldn't happen to be going to NYU, would you? I'll be a freshman there in August. Sure, I'll be just as lost as you (and, for now, I'm still trapped in the suburbs of New Jersey) but... maybe it will be good to know there's another Geeknights listener as lost as you in the big city?
  • Greenwich Village... Grad School... New York City... you wouldn't happen to be going to NYU, would you? I'll be a freshman there in August. Sure, I'll be just as lost as you (and, for now, I'm still trapped in the suburbs of New Jersey) but... maybe it will be good to know there's another Geeknights listener as lost as you in the big city?
    Excellent deduction! Yes, NYU would be my base camp for striking out into the frightening world of death-defying j-walking, roving bands of carnivorous cabs, and snow over two inches deep. It is good to know there are other souls sane enough to haunt this thread who are also recovering from a short bout of brain fever--accounting for enrollment in such an institution.
  • Maybe I should just cut my losses and stay in Los Angeles.
    Nuooooooo! Come join us!
    NYU would be my base camp
    I am an NYU alum. I really REALLY liked school. (plus The Village is great! I can give you tips on good food and stuff!)
  • edited June 2008
    Maybe I should just cut my losses and stay in Los Angeles.
    I've lived my whole life in the L.A. area, and spent a week in NYC, but from my limited experience, I'd much rather be there.
    We're a tough bunch in NY. We gotseasons, unlike you west-coasters.
    Don't knock it. The weather is about the only reason to stay in L.A.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited June 2008
    Posted By: Mr.MacRossWe're a tough bunch in NY. We got seasons, unlike you west-coasters.
    Don't knock it. The weather is about the only reason to stay in L.A. I can't speak for Mr.MacRoss, but I love the seasons here. My family used to live in Florida (which goes from summer, to summer with rain and back to summer), and I much prefer New York State's climate. I have to say that I love winter, I still find snow enchanting (even when I have to drive 15 mph on a snow and ice covered highway). I know NYC's weather is a bit different from the rest of the State's but usually only 5 degrees or so, with less snow.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I spent some time in California (mid-state south of Fort Ord) while in the service and the lack of seasons annoyed me. I still remember driving down the road on New Years with the A/C on because it was so hot.
  • I still remember driving down the road on New Years with the A/C on because it was so hot.
    Yep. It's awesome.