This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dolphin Suicide

2»

Comments

• edited June 2008
    In Iran last year, 152 dolphins washed up on the coast, and the idea of suicide was raised, but this was dismissed as an attempt to project human motives on to a wild animal.
    It is a bit ridiculous to call this suicide.
    That's the referenced incident that happened way before. The incident in the article was different.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited June 2008
    There is evidence, their inner ears have completely burst. What more evidence do you need than that? There are many cases of whales beaching themselves in irrational manners, and it is later found out that their inner ears had literally burst, and that the navy was testing their sonar in the immediate area. There is proof.
    First of all, you can't link those events so arbitrarily. You're making two assumptions without sufficient proof. The first being that sonar testing causes the inner ear to burst. Do you have any lab tests to support this? The second being that inner ear bursting causes the whales to beach themselves. Again, need some scientific studies. Without sufficient scientific research your story is as credible as anecdotal evidence. Links man, I need links!

After looking into it, I retract that there is no evidence to support it. There are a few cases where the vibrations seem to have caused harm. But the point I was trying to make is that man-made disturbances cause no where near the majority of cetacean beachings. We have recorded throughout history this behavior and the overwhelming majority of suicide cases are still a complete mystery. This is what I meant by saying that the sonar flag is typically a flag carried by crazy environmentalists. Sonar may be a cause, but it is by no means the main cause.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • There is evidence, their inner ears have completely burst. What more evidence do you need than that? There are many cases of whales beaching themselves in irrational manners, and it is later found out that their inner ears had literally burst, and that the navy was testing their sonar in the immediate area. There is proof.
    After looking into it, I retract that there is no evidence to support it. There are a few cases where the vibrations seem to have caused harm. But the point I was trying to make is that man-made disturbances cause no where near the majority of cetacean beachings. We have recorded throughout history this behavior and the overwhelming majority of suicide cases are still a complete mystery. This is what I meant by saying that the sonar flag is typically a flag carried by crazy environmentalists. Sonar may be a cause, but it is by no means the main cause.
    I never said that the military was the main reason for whale beachings, and most of the intelligent environmentalists don't say that either, though I have met less intelligent who have. My point was that, as you said, there is evidence, and although most beachings are caused for unknown reasons, many are caused by the military.
  • I never said you said the military was the main reason for whale beachings.
  • So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  • Najica?!.......Desert Punk?!
    I say this all the time around people who have no clue about its origin or context. Then I laugh like a little girl and run away.
  • I never said you said the military was the main reason for whale beachings.
    Sorry, i kinda get passionate when it comes to whales and will go beyond what's there.