This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When does fiction become literature?

124»

Comments

• What if you showed Rainbow Brite to a caveman? It would be the most amazing thing ever to him.
    Either that, or they would be so frightened they would crush you.
  • What if you showed Rainbow Brite to a caveman? It would be the most amazing thing ever to him.
    It would be a classic to him. He would make his kids read it and they would hate it because he liked it.
  • That's just your opinion then, which has no objective value. If someone finds artistic merit in Rainbow Brite, then Rainbow Brite is a classic to them, isn't it? Since there are differences of opinion, doesn't that mean that everyone just has to judge for him or herself?
    Yes. Yes that's exactly what we're saying. What's the problem with that? People like what they like. It doesn't hurt you. And as I said before, it doesn't hurt the eventual process by which works become largely considered classics by the reading public on the whole, either. Rainbow Brite, even if it appears on one person's classics list, in the end will almost certainly not end up on a general list of the classics because it doesn't hold up in the minds of MOST people.
    Why not? What would keep Rainbow Brite from holding up in the minds of MOST people? Why wouldn't it end up on a general list of the classics?
    Because the audience will lose touch with it as they grow older. As you grow older, perspective grows and changes. Eventually, the audience will want to be challenged on a deeper level. That still doesn't invalidate the merits of the work, though; I would say that almost any given Dr. Seuss book has more literary merit than 90% of the stuff out there.

But that's just my opinion.
  • I would say that almost any given Dr. Seuss book has more literary merit than 90% of the stuff out there.
    Even the great Geisel had some stinkers.
  • I would say that almost any given Dr. Seuss book has more literary merit than 90% of the stuff out there.
    Even the great Geisel had some stinkers.
    OK, OK. Maybe not any give Dr. Seuss book. The Butter Battle Book, definitely.
  • edited June 2008
    Butter Battle is excellent. As I got into my older Elementary years it was one of the few picture books that I persisted in liking.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I have The Butter Battle Book on my shelf. It was always my favorite because it was so LEGO-ish. I think it stands up as an apt Cold War commentary.