This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Intro to critical thinking video

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
Brian Denning (of skeptoid) put together a ~40m video to be an introduction to critical thinking as applied to pop phenomenon; I'm watching it now. It's pretty basic, but could be a good intro for Movies You Should See's proverbial 'Wendy'.

Check it out:
Here be Dragons

Comments

• This video was already posted in the Things of Your Day thread, but the more linking to it that goes on, the better. This is a great video to show to anyone who's not already big into the skeptical mindset and doesn't want to listen to the Skeptoid podcast.

Also, it's "Dunning," not "Denning." ;)
  • In a tangental, but not completely unrelated topic: Who wants to go to TAM next year?
  • In a tangental, but not completely unrelated topic: Who wants to go toTAMnext year?
    I always want to go, but it is hardly ever feasible to do so.
  • I always want to go, but it is hardly ever feasible to do so.
    Says the person who is going to PAX, Otakon, and various other out of state cons...
  • Want to (very badly), but can't. After my PAX trip, I'll have to start putting money back into my school savings. No more big trips for me for a while.
  • Says the person who is going to PAX, Otakon, and various other out of state cons...
    All of those are in driving distance except for one.
  • All of those are in driving distance except for one.
    If you didn't go to every single con and drop money for hotels and gas, I'm sure you could budget a trip to Vegas for a weekend.
  • If you didn't go to every single con and drop money for hotels and gas, I'm sure you could budget a trip to Vegas for a weekend.
    I'd rather go to all of the ones I go to, than go to TAM. If I could go to TAM in addition, awesome, but I can't.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    I would feel more optimistic about this video if the title and intro weren't based on an urban legend. The popular term was the more straightforward "terra incognita".
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I would feel more optimistic about this video if the title and intro weren't based on anurban legend.
    I'm pretty sure that was done completely on purpose.
  • I would feel more optimistic about this video if the title and intro weren't based on anurban legend.
    I'm pretty sure that was done completely on purpose.
    No, the video claims that maps said "Here Be Dragons" instead of saying "we don't know," but, according to the link, no maps ever said "here be dragons."

That said, the title is entirely symbolic and whether or not it's based on truth is irrelevant to me.