This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hulu has been great lately (if you don't live in a second-rate country)

Comments

• That would open up the iPhone's capabilities a lot if they did allow it.
    That's the crux of the nub of the point right there. It would make the app store almost completely worthless.
  • That's the crux of the nub of the point right there.
    I am stealing this phrase, and there's nothing you can do to stop me. Muhahahaha.
  • edited July 2008
    Somebody please teach idiots like me how to make Hulu think I'm from the US.
    Try this.
    It worked for me, but I'm not sure how trustworthy the software is.
    Post edited by Themistakenone on
  • I am stealing this phrase, and there's nothing you can do to stop me. Muhahahaha.
    Curses!
  • Try this.It worked for me, but I'm not sure how trustworthy the software is.
    Yeah, I was going to say to use Tor, but I think Hulu blocked it.
  • Yeah, I was going to say to use Tor, but I think Hulu blocked it.
    Plus, you might have to go through a few tor exit points in order to find on in the USA.
    Plus there's the whole "You could run to the Hulu webservers, grab the data on CD, and run back faster than you could get it over the net with TOR" thing.
  • Oh man. I remember that show.
  • Galactica 1980. Guess it isn't that good a service, after all.
  • Somebody please teach idiots like me how to make Hulu think I'm from the US.
    Try this.
    It worked for me, but I'm not sure how trustworthy the software is.
    I tried it and it worked, but the videos loaded very slowly. That wouldn't be too much of a problem, but Hulu doesn't show you how much of the video has downloaded in the progress bar. AAAAAH! Frustration. Now I'm going to try Tor while getting Arrested Development off a torrent. :(
  • I finally got it working!I used a proxy (from Princeton university of all places) through firefox. Can't believe I didn't think of the simpler solution first.
  • Proxies are nice, but it's hard to find a good one.
    I guess this Princeton one is pretty quick, eh?
    Nice find.
  • It's pretty fast - I've had no lagging so far.

Charon FTW.
  • Hulu just added Gattaca today. What a great, under appreciated film.
  • Yeah, I watched Gattaca with my dad and brother and they both enjoyed it a lot. :D
  • I'll stick to Torrents thanks
  • I'll never understand it. Why these dumb restrictions exist, when the net allows everyone to see and hear everything, at anytime.

Lack of vision, just helps the torrents more.
  • edited April 2009
    It looks like the cable companies might be doing something intelligent!(Insert gasp here.) More and more of the content available on Hulu is being placed on On Demand channels like Primetime On Demand.

While I do not think this will attract many new cable customers, it certainly may help retain their current customers.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • But they still have to pay for it! Hulu is free! Why is this smart?
  • edited April 2009
    But they still have to pay for it! Hulu is free! Why is this smart?
    Because Hulu isn't free, you have to have to have an Internet connection. With some of the cable companies now metering Internet usage (which is dumb and will limit how much streaming content - particularly HD content - any user can access), this is another way to see the shows with limited commercials 24/7. Like I said, probably won't attract new customers, but may help to retain some.
  • edited April 2009
    Psh. Anyone without an internet connection wouldn't buy one just for Hulu. Why would someone decide "Oh, I'm just not going to get an internet connection now!" because their cable added another lame ass On Demand channel? And if they already had cable, why would they need Hulu content?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2009
    Psh. Anyone without an internet connection wouldn't buy one just for Hulu. Why would someone decide "Oh, I'm just not going to get an internet connection now!" because their cable added another lame ass On Demand channel? And if they already had cable, why would they need Hulu content?
    That wasn't what I was saying at all. You missed my point.
    I don't think anyone would get an internet connection just for Hulu, but people that will be forced to use metered Internet as their only non-dial up option will have limited access to streaming material. If people wanted to watch some of the shows on Hulu, but can't without sacrificing the their use of the internet for other activities or to keep from exceeding there metered amount AND they already have cable, then the On Demand channels (which is provided at no extra charge for basic digital cable) is a nice option. Also, they aren't "lame ass" when they provide many of the same limited commercial shows as Hulu.
  • edited April 2009
    With some of the cable companies now metering Internet usage (which is dumb and will limit how much streaming content - particularly HD content - any user can access)
    It isn't dumb. Also, even without metering there is already the limit of (bandwidth * time) on how much content any user can access. I responded to this in the TWC thread, because it seems that there was still a point to be made.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2009
    With some of the cable companies now metering Internet usage (which is dumb and will limit how much streaming content - particularly HD content - any user can access)
    It isn't dumb. Also, even without metering there is already the limit of (bandwidth * time) on how much content any user can access. I responded to this in the TWC thread, because it seems that there was stilla point to be made.
    While the concept overall may not be dumb, the highest cap limit that will be offered by TWC is laughable. Let me amend my statement by saying that metering is not dumb, but the way it is being applied is unrealistic. Time Warner has released a more detailed plan. The caps go up to 100 GB per month (for $75.00 per month) and every GB over will be $1.00 up to $75.00 at which point overage will stop being billed essentially providing unlimited Internet use for $150.00 per month. There are cheaper plans, obviously.
  • Firefly!

Yes, I am a fangirl. No, I don't think that's a problem.
  • And right after I bought the box set, too.
  • edited August 2009
    Firefly!
    I just re-watched all of Firefly and Serenity last week. Such a good show.
    Post edited by Funfetus on