This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would you read a web visual novel?

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
We see comics in plenty, as well as text-based news, but relatively few text-heavy entertainments on the web. I'm thinking specifically of something along the lines of a visual novel: a story told primarily with words, but augmented by occasional illustrations. I ask you, FRC forum members: would you read such a thing, or do you find it not suitable to the web?

This is not a completely abstract question.

Comments

• It depends entirely on the interface. Comic strips work well on the web, but actual graphic novels do not work because the viewing interface is inadequate. A visual novel runs into many of the same problems regular books do. It's not easy to read txt files from project Gutenberg. You need some sort of eBook reader to make the experience pleasant. If you have a light novel, with prose and illustrations combined, an eBook reader type of interface could work. The question is whether or not the various eBook formats support graphics at all.

I think the best bet would be to make a few preview pages on the web directly, but the full novel would be much more accessible in a pdf at the very least.
  • If you are feeling really happy, and I mean really happy, you could go and look at something like Narsissu (I won't link to it unless you are really happy). If you used a flash applet to take up the whole browser then you could manage it.
  • No. The main reason why there aren't many text-heavy entertainments on the web is because most people don't like reading on their computer screen. So, personally, no I wouldn't.
  • edited July 2008
    I say it depends on the presentation. I think it's almost unanimous that people do not want to read the same web page for an extended amount of time, but a novel could work if the author does a page or two a day (not unlike a web comic will have a scene a day during a series). It can't be a lot (10-20 minutes of reading, I'd say) but people may enjoy having something quick to read while eating lunch/commuting.

Of course, whether or not I read it also depends on the quality of the writing.

EDIT: Now that I clicked the link and read what you're attempting, I think you were already approaching this the same way as I described. Even though I'm not a huge fantasy fan, I did enjoy reading that. Nice job, and, if you continue through with this, make sure you write a few days in advance. Nothing worse than a web-story that can't keep a deadline...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited July 2008
    The main reason why there aren't many text-heavy entertainments on the web is because most people don't like reading on their computer screen.
    I realize this is considered common knowledge, but I've never found a really compelling explanation of why it's so. Clearly people are willing to read blog posts, news articles, Wikipedia entries, and the like. I've also seen reports that "no one reads on the web, they only skim", but that seems heavily dependent on the type of content (and, in that, is no different from reading anywhere else).

So if you'd care to elaborate on why you don't like reading on your computer screen, that'd be great.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • edited July 2008
    I've also seen reports that "no one reads on the web, they only skim", but that seems heavily dependent on the type of content (and, in that, is no different from reading anywhere else).
    I definitely think that is it a big part of it. When I read something on a screen, it is either very short, or I am not reading it straight through. My eyes and brain are taking many "breaks" from reading. Reading a large quantity of text on a screen, without any breaks, is very strenuous on the eyes and mind. It might just be a psychological thing, but I definitely feel it. I can blaze through a paperback book like nothing, but with a project Gutenberg text file, I'm lucky if I can do a few pages before it hurts. I mean, if someone writes a small forum post, I read the entire thing. If someone writes an essay in their forum post, I read maybe a sentence from each paragraph.

There are many factors for this such as lighting, the viewing angle, scrolling, etc. If I knew the solution to this problem, I would be a very rich person. What I do know is that the e-readers with the fancy screens that are easier on the eyes are the best solution yet. There are many partial solutions involving clever use of typography and colors that can help, but none are a complete solution.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2008
    I hear you. When I write, I can't deal with using a high contrast environment like MS-word. I use a program called "Darkroom;" it fills the screen with black and the screen is a dark green color. It's easy to use because it's easy on the eyes.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ooh, might have to try this out. I could always just use Nano from the terminal.
    I find it somehow ironic that I spaced out half way through Scott's comment (mostly due to sleeping 3 hours in 36).

Just to clarify, by visual novel, we are talking about the kind where you have a picture and then press space bar to scroll through text, right?
  • I've also seen reports that "no one reads on the web, they only skim", but that seems heavily dependent on the type of content (and, in that, is no different from reading anywhere else).
    I definitely think that is it a big part of it. When I read something on a screen, it is either very short, or I am not reading it straight through. My eyes and brain are taking many "breaks" from reading. Reading a large quantity of text on a screen, without any breaks, is very strenuous on the eyes and mind. It might just be a psychological thing, but I definitely feel it. I can blaze through a paperback book like nothing, but with a project Gutenberg text file, I'm lucky if I can do a few pages before it hurts. I mean, if someone writes a small forum post, I read the entire thing. If someone writes an essay in their forum post, I read maybe a sentence from each paragraph.

There are many factors for this such as lighting, the viewing angle, scrolling, etc. If I knew the solution to this problem, I would be a very rich person. What I do know is that the e-readers with the fancy screens that are easier on the eyes are the best solution yet. There are many partial solutions involving clever use of typography and colors that can help, but none are a complete solution.
    I also have this problem, and I thought the solution that would eventually emerge would be printing things out. If we could ever solve the great scam that is computer printing, I picture that your computer would collect all your favorite RSS feeds overnight, and organize everything into 1 or 2 page packet which it would print out for you in the morning.
    I think the technology for something like this does exist, but the main obstacle is paying +$30 every month for ink cartridges/paper, as well as the risk of running out of ink when you're about to print out something important (which always happens to me).
  • I also have this problem, and I thought the solution that would eventually emerge would be printing things out. If we could ever solve the great scam that is computer printing, I picture that your computer would collect all your favorite RSS feeds overnight, and organize everything into 1 or 2 page packet which it would print out for you in the morning.
    Ah, no. The real solution is e-paper. You have a piece of paper that looks and feels like a real piece of paper with ink on it. However with the touch of a button, the "ink" rearranges itself to change what is "printed" on the page. This technology does "exist", but much like the Phantom game console, robotic house servants, and Duke Nukem forever, it has been "coming soon" for about a decade.
  • I think I would be most interested, particularly if large chunks (i.e. chapters) were posted, rather than a page or two at a time.
  • edited July 2008
    I think I would be most interested, particularly if large chunks (i.e. chapters) were posted, rather than a page or two at a time.
    That gives me an idea. Make an RSS feed. In the RSS feed, enclose pdf, cbr, ebook, etc. files the same way as for a podcast. I know iTunes at least recognizes pdfs in enclosures. Put out one chapter at a time. Maybe make it eternally ongoing, or at least have a very large number of chapters. I've heard of people doing this with audiobooks, but you might be able to be the first to do it with a written book, even an illustrated one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • When I read something on a screen, it is either very short, or I am not reading it straight through.
    Scott pretty much hit it on the head.
  • I do like the idea of maintaining a PDF version for ease of e-book/offline access.

What I foresee at the moment would be something like:
    1) Frequent-ish updates to the web version; each being one or two scene's worth of content. Once enough of those accumulate (i.e., I finish a chapter), I proceed to update
    2) A series of one-chapter-each PDFs, as well as the option for an everything-in-one PDF.

As for the length: I don't know how long, exactly, this story will be, but I know it will not be eternally ongoing. I know roughly how it's going to end, and certain high points I need to hit along the way; the rest, I'm filling in as I go. Of course, there's nothing to prevent me from publishing other work in a similar form.
  • Ah, no. The real solution is e-paper. You have a piece of paper that looks and feels like a real piece of paper with ink on it. However with the touch of a button, the "ink" rearranges itself to change what is "printed" on the page. This technology does "exist", but much like the Phantom game console, robotic house servants, and Duke Nukem forever, it has been "coming soon" for about a decade.
    Considering it's something that may come out tomorrow, or may never be released, I don't really think that's a great solution to the web-based novel predicament. All I'm saying is a potential solution to literature online is to have people print it out in an appealing format, rather than stare at a screen/use expensive technology.
    I understand that, one day, that may be a solution, but saying that is the "solution" is like saying we can end the War in Iraq by building an army of humanoid robots. I mean, we have the technology to build humanoid robots...
  • I understand that, one day, that may be a solution, but saying that is the "solution" is like saying we can end the War in Iraq by building an army of humanoid robots. I mean, we have the technology to build humanoid robots...
    Individual people printing things out isn't a good solution, even if you only take into consideration current technology. A much better idea is to just sell your books print on demand through lulu.
  • Web visual novels are going to be a growing thing.

Starfighter raised almost $10k in two hours. "Visual Novel" in the sense of a story/choice-driven idiogame.

Dusk in Kalevia is a straight-up novel with chapter illustrations published by chapter direct to Internet.
  • I totally support these kinds of games. I've only played a few, mostly silly, visual novel style games but I think they're pretty neat. Gotta appreciate the kind of writing and thought that goes into those.

There's also some cool potential with these kinds of games, like NAWLZ, the interactive cyberpunk novel/comic game you can play in your web browser.