This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The problem with "Atheism"

2»

Comments

• I so don't have time for this thread today. :(
  • I so don't have time for this thread today. :(
    Seems like you just made time.
  • edited June 2010
    3. Treating Atheism like a religion.
    4. Pascal's Wager.
    Pascal's Wager is just a very poor argument some people try to use in favor of religion. However, Pascal's Wager falling apart so very easily doesn't make an argument for atheism or against religion.

Occam's Razor is also an argument that needs to be on this list.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Occam's Razor is also an argument that needs to be on this list.
    Still #1, I think.
  • Doesn't recognize that atheism and agnosticism answer two different questions.
    I like this one more than the Blue Gargoyle one, because more people will understand it.
  • In other news, Australia? Not so bad anymore...
    After looking into it, she's hardly the first openly Athiest or Agnostic Prime minister. And it's not as good as you think - She's an atheist, but she's also a union lapdog, and essentially, the unions currently run the country(As for why this is bad - The Painters and Dockers union, one of the biggest unions in Australia at the time, was disbanded in the 80s by the government and Federal Police for quite literally being the mafia) and she's sticking to the party line on any and all issues influenced by religion - and the Labor party is Majority Christian. In fact, the issue of Gay Marriage came up today, and she outright said she's not going to legalise it, because that's not the party's position.
  • edited June 2010
    I just saw this on YT and thought I should post it here because it is one of the best exposure of how ridiculous Bible verse picking is, though pretty much ALL religious people are doing it left and right while at the same time attributing absolute authority to the religious text of their choice. It's from The West Wing but I don't watch that series. That clip however, tempts me:
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I just got back from doing an interview for a feature story about a quarry. The quarry owner was showing me the layers of rock and explaining how they formed 370 million years ago, "unless you believe in god, in which case a wizard made them shortly before you arrived."
  • I just got back from doing an interview for a feature story about a quarry. The quarry owner was showing me the layers of rock and explaining how they formed 370 million years ago, "unless you believe in god, in which case a wizard made them shortly before you arrived."
    Best quarry owner ever.
  • "unless you believe in god, in which case a wizard made them shortly before you arrived."
    That's an amazing quote right there.
  • One of my favorite Joseph Campbell quotes:

"There are two types of people in the world: the theists, like monotheists, polytheists, who believe that their mythology is historical fact. The atheists know that their mythology is a metaphor."
    Hereby, I am getting this man, where applicable, to perform all of my quarrying needs, and reccomending everyone else do the same.
  • Chris Rodda is doing a great job debunking various "America is a christian nation" myths being regurgitated by Chris Barton and Glenn Beck.