This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for Some Different Music

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
I don't know about everyone else on the forums, but I have a very hard time finding new music or different bands that I actually like and will listen to. On my own I have a very hard time, so I would like to know if any of you can give me some suggestions. I mainly enjoy rock music and on my iPod the main bands I have on it are:
  • Aerosmith
  • The Beatles
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Queen
  • Heart
  • Iron Maiden
  • DragonForce
  • Muse
  • "Wierd Al" Yankovic
  • Boston
  • Metallica
These bands, along with some soundtracks to movies, video games, and Broadway shows makes up my iPod. Suggestions please! Oh, and if anyone else has the same problem as me, feel free to also post in this thread.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    For The Beatles type stuff, check out The Olivia Tremor Control. Both of their albums are awesome.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Use Pandora or Last.fm like everybody else.
  • Iron Maiden fan? Check out every band on this page.

Also, check out this band called 3. They're an experimental-ish progressive-ish jam-ish kind of band. They're wicked awesome.

Also, SLAYER!
  • Use Pandora or Last.fm like everybody else.
    Pandora's pretty lame. Asking /mu/ for suggestions is more helpful.
  • These bands, along with some soundtracks to movies, video games, and Broadway shows makes up my iPod. Suggestions please! Oh, and if anyone else has the same problem as me, feel free to also post in this thread.
    I'm not particularly good with specific bands, but have you tried The Police or Nirvana?

Also, if video game OST's are your cup of tea, I could whisper you some suggestions.
  • If everyone else is, in fact, using last.fm, I would love to get more friends on that thing. I've found more bands on that place than any other method I used to use (random wiki searches, downloading giant torrents). My username is "classicdms". Add please!
  • edited July 2008
    I don't use last.fm but I'll try it. I do, however, recommend Pandora.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You might like Dream Theater.
  • If you actually buy CDs, check out the "Thanks" section in the booklet. If there is one, usually friend bands or bands they toured with are included which usually overlap the musical taste of the fans.
  • edited July 2008
    I recommend:
    Steve Vai
    Tori Amos
    Sarah Slean
    Beth Orton
    Sarah Harmer
    Imogen Heap
    Bjork
    Regina Spektor
    Renaissance (oldies but goodies)
    Donovan (beyond "Mellow Yellow")
    Leonrard Cohen (I love his music as performed by other singers, but his singing/speaking works with the music)
    Chick Corea
    Diana Krall
    Susan Tedeschi

These are all fairly mainstream, I can go more off beat if you want more. Also, if you like musicals, let me know which ones you like and I may be able to recommend some other musicals for you.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Also, Deerhoof. Green Cosmos is a good starter album.