This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where have all the playgrounds gone?

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
Where have all the playgrounds gone? I mean REAL playgrounds. All I see are those stupid plastic molded ones. I feel bad for my little brother who'll never know the joy of a metal merry go round.

Dangerous Old Playground Equipment

Children of a bygone era, let us lament.

Comments

• Just go into the inner-city and you will still find the old playground equipment (I know that is true in Albany neighborhoods). Since no one gives the poorer areas money, they haven't been updated since the 80's or earlier and the metal merry-go-round and slides are still there. I always liked the old wooden "castle" style playgrounds, but I don't really have a beef with the plastic ones either - they have some neat items and your kid is less likely to be injured (and with the lack of affordable healthcare for a lot of parents, injuries that might not be a big deal for the kid if they receive medical care, can be a big problem for the parents to pay for).
  • God I could use some Vampire tag right now :-p
  • There's a playground down the street from me that still has incredibly awesome, slightly rusty and dangerous equipment, including the metal marry-go-round.
  • edited July 2008
    God I could use some Vampire tag right now :-p
    Ditto! ZOMG! I am going to look up playgrounds in the Beacon Area for our next Burning Wheel game weekend!!! If I find one, will you make the props?
    There's a playground down the street from me that still has incredibly awesome, slightly rusty and dangerous equipment, including the metal marry-go-round.
    While I would have fun playing on that, I am not sure I would want a 5 year old playing on that.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited July 2008
    http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/
    I am aware, but I would rather avoid tetanus shots and stitches if possible. If that was the only playground around (an old and busted one), then so be it, but if there was an option, why would you thrust a child at the more dangerous option?
  • I am aware, but I would rather avoid tetanus shots and stitches if possible. If that was the only playground around (an old and busted one), then so be it, but if there was an option, why would you thrust a child at the more dangerous option?
    If it's so dangerous that they'll be super seriously injured, like a rusty spiky soviet kind of playground, then obviously you don't want them playing there. However, the kind of "safe" playgrounds that are being put out now are the kind with no moving parts. No swings, no see saws, no tall slides, etc. There's a point at which in the name of safety, you remove fun. Make it safe enough that they won't kill themselves, but a broken leg or so is fine. Let them jump off the swings. Let them try to get the spinnig thing going wicked fast.. Let them have a tall slide made of metal. Let them have some big complex cargo nets and jungle gyms.

Too dangerous can be harmful for obvious reasons, like permanent physical injury. Too safe can be dangerous to their mental development, learning their limits, having fun, developing physical skills, etc. I think the kind of playground my parents had was a fine balance. The odds of permanent injury were close to zero, but the odds of scrapes and bruises were near 100%, also good.

Playgrounds are just a small part of it, but adults often wonder why kids are doing so many uncouth things like drugs and sex. Maybe it's because you ban every wholesome fun thing to do like video games, playgrounds, skateboarding, etc.
  • Speaking of adults and playgrounds and Albany, I will be in that fair city next week for a wedding. I need to know: Has anyone been to Jilian's, and is it worth going for some late-night drinking and games? Or is it kind of lame? Let me know.
  • Speaking of adults and playgrounds and Albany, I will be in that fair city next week for a wedding. I need to know: Has anyone been to Jilian's, and is it worth going for some late-night drinking and games? Or is it kind of lame? Let me know.
    Jillian's is kind of lame. It's a weak imitation of Dave + Busters, but Dave + Buster's isn't what it used to be either. Think of Jillian's as a TGI: Fridays with an overpriced and crappy arcade attached to it.
  • However, the kind of "safe" playgrounds that are being put out now are the kind with no moving parts. No swings, no see saws, no tall slides, etc. There's a point at which in the name of safety, you remove fun. Make it safe enough that they won't kill themselves, but a broken leg or so is fine. Let them jump off the swings. Let them try to get the spinnig thing going wicked fast.. Let them have a tall slide made of metal. Let them have some big complex cargo nets and jungle gyms.
    Where are they building the kind of playgrounds you describe. Even the newer playgrounds I have seen all have swings and slides, and hangs, etc. They just have a lot less metal and wood (which also makes them last longer and need less upkeep). I have never seen the kind of playground you have just described, nor was I advocating same. It seems that you take anyone advising caution as equating to being a safety nazi.
    Too dangerous can be harmful for obvious reasons, like permanent physical injury. Too safe can be dangerous to their mental development, learning their limits, having fun, developing physical skills, etc. I think the kind of playground my parents had was a fine balance. The odds of permanent injury were close to zero, but the odds of scrapes and bruises were near 100%, also good.
    Scrapes and bruises are a part of everyday kid life, I was talking more about broken bones and exposure to diseases that need hospital visits to be treated (which can still happen and aren't necessarily too bad - unless you have crappy/no insurance and can't afford to pay for medical attention out of pocket).
    Playgrounds are just a small part of it, but adults often wonder why kids are doing so many uncouth things like drugs and sex. Maybe it's because you ban every wholesome fun thing to do like video games, playgrounds, skateboarding, etc.
    How is sex uncouth? Certainly pre-teens and early teens should probably not be engaging in sex, but as long as an older teen is using protection and aware of the social and emotional responsibilities/consequences of sex - it really isn't a bad thing. As for wholesome things like video-games, playgrounds, and skateboards - all of these are fine activities, I didn't say they were bad or dangerous necessarily (but there are some inappropriate video games based on age and individual maturity, some dangerous playgrounds -certainly not all or even most, and some skateboarding kids that also happen to be jerks that could be bad influences... but these are the vast minority). It is really more about knowing your child and the specific circumstances.
    The one in Albany is better than the one in Rochester, but not by much. It really depends on the night and the company you are with.
  • There area few decent playgrounds near me. One has a metal merry go round, and nothing in said playground is rusty. Then another one closer to my house is a "wooden castle" type of playground.
  • edited July 2008
    There area few decent playgrounds near me. One has a metal merry go round, and nothing in said playground is rusty. Then another one closer to my house is a "wooden castle" type of playground.
    The wooden castle playgrounds are where it's at!!
    This is the bad kind of playground.
    I am not so sure that that is a "bad" playground, it looks kinda neat, but it certainly shouldn't be the only kind of playground. I get the guy's point about risk, but I don't the the risk factor is the only thing that makes a playground fun. That being said, the mats on the ground are stupid... grass and ground are soft enough... as long as it isn't cement or gravel, the kid is fine to fall on the ground over and over again.
  • edited July 2008
    This is the bad kind of playground.
    Ugh, that playground is horrible! The only thing I liked about it besides the swings was the ground, as I always hated digging the mulch out of my shoes when I was a kid. Everything else is shit. When I was a kid, there was a massive wooden castle playground around 20 minutes from where I lived and my parents would always take me there as so that I could have a good playground experience. I miss that playground a lot and I hope that it still exists as so that more generations of children can experience what a playground is supposed to be.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    The one in Albany is better than the one in Rochester, but not by much. It really depends on the night and the company you are with.
    Is there anything else in Albany to do that would be good for a night-time bachelor party without strippers? I respect women.
  • This is the bad kind of playground.
    Wow, we have exactly the same playground a short walk away, in England..
  • Is there anything else in Albany to do that would be good for a night-time bachelor party without strippers? I respect women.
    Bomber Burrito Bar is a good place to go. Also, check concert schedules.
    Is there anything else in Albany to do that would be good for a night-time bachelor party without strippers? I respect women.
    There are your normal clubs. You can check out Jillian's and if you don't like it there are several nicer clubs and bars on that same street within two blocks. I, personally, like the Albany Pump Station (it isn't in the same few block of Jillian's, but it isn't far from it at all).
  • edited July 2008
    The wooden castle playgrounds are where it's at!!
    That's the kind we had. There were all these passageways and little "rooms," under stairs and on top of poles, so not only did we have fun climbing around, but everyone had their preferred "fort." I was something of an adventurous kid, so I'd always climb to the highest tower, the castle, and sit way at the top, clinging onto the roof. They are going to tear my playground down someday soon. There is a big sign in front of my old school about raising money for a new playground, which makes me a little sad. There were a lot of memories from elementary school, of playing "don't touch the stones," of ripping the seat of my pants trying to jump over the main fence, of getting stung by one of the resident hornets while hanging out with my friend in the tower. This playground was a big part of my childhood. They probably don't want the scribbled-on arsenic-infused wood this go around, but I hope they pick something that leaves at least a little memory of adventure.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • No swings, no see saws, no tall slides, etc. There's a point at which in the name of safety, you remove fun. Make it safe enough that they won't kill themselves, but a broken leg or so is fine. Let them jump off the swings. Let them try to get the spinnig thing going wicked fast.. Let them have a tall slide made of metal. Let them have some big complex cargo nets and jungle gyms.
    Apreche, you obviously haven't been hanging around playgrounds. (Which I suppose is a good thing in your case.)

New playgrounds are most certainly dangerous. There are plenty of things to fall off of, and slides are higher and steeper than ever. The difference is that they have gotten rid of the extremely dangerous elements. These are usually things that caused an alarming number of brain injuries - such as those "hobby horse" type swings that weigh about 100 pounds each. Imagine getting hit in the noggin by one of those? The merry-go-round type things are also gone. They could project a kid at an alarming speed.
  • The merry-go-round type things are also gone. They could project a kid at an alarming speed.
    Nos, the merry go rounds are the best!
  • Those were awesome! When I was a kid, I would use those to get up tons of speed and run up the tall metal slide. It was fun!
  • edited July 2008
    I don't think we'll be seeing much of roundabouts after some chavs got in the news for hitching up a scooter's back wheel to it and revving it up to ridiculous speeds.

How much of this perception of a nanny state has been brought about by a generation of people who go deliberately out of their way to do stupid and dangerous things?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • How much of this perception of a nanny state has been brought about by a generation of people who go deliberately out of their way to do stupid and dangerous things?
    While there are a few out there who do stupid and dangerous things, I would not blame them for the nanny state. There have been, and always will be, some people who are stupid beyond the average stupidity. I blame the irrationality of the mass populace, and the sensationalism of the mass media, that results in widespread policy changes in reaction to isolated incidents. We've had see-saws for decades, but all it takes is for one kid to die in a see-saw somewhere, and they will ban see-saws around the country. Even if the kid who died was doing something really really stupid, I can't blame his stupidity for the see-saw ban.
  • The newest trend is to terraform playgrounds. This is an example. I'm conflicted. I like some of the components, but I'm not sure I'm impressed with the overall package.
  • The newest trend is to terraform playgrounds.This is an example.I'm conflicted. I like some of the components, but I'm not sure I'm impressed with the overall package.
    Well, you know what I think. It's not so much about the kind of toys a kid has, it more about what they do with them. I could spend hours just playing in my own backyard. I think that if I had gone to that school, I'd never get bored on the rocks as long as I could run around and pretend stuff.
    That kid in the video is so cute. I love precocious elementary schoolers.
  • Honestly, as long as the kids have fun then why should it matter if the playground is too safe?
  • edited July 2008
    Honestly, as long as the kids have fun then why should it matter if the playground is too safe?
    That's exactly what we are saying. They are making the playgrounds so safe, that the kids are no longer having fun. Also, regardless of the fun level, the safer playgrounds are not helping the kids mental and physical development as well as the old unsafe playgrounds did.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You can't have playgrounds, its like an open invitation for pedophiles! What is wrong with you people! Don't you think of how many people want to molest children? They're on the news all the time, there must be thousands of them!