This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ringtones

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
I had Beans and Cornbread by Louis Jordan as a ringtone for about three months. Now I have the Brandenburg Concerto No. 2. Sometimes I switch to Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman or Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin. I'm thinking of trying to make Lawyers in Love into a ringtone, but I haven't had time yet.

Back in the days of MIDI ringtones, I found "Call to the Post" for Carole, who is really, really interested in racing. I've never been able to find that tone again.

Around that time, when I had that bulky Nokia phone that everyone seemed to have (that didn't have a vibrate feature), I was in the middle of a felony jury trial when the judge asked us all to come to the bench. While we were up there, my phone rang with a James Bond ringtone. It was pretty embarrassing. Another time, I forgot to turn off my phone before going into court for Motion Hour. It rang with a Godfather ringtone. Yet more embarrassment. The first time I received a phone with a vibrate feature, I turned it on and forgot about ringtones. I'm beginning to be more interested in them again because now I have a phone that I usually carry in my jacket pocket where I can't always feel the vibration.

What's your current ringtone? Are there any good sites with free ringtones? Are there any good do-it-yourself ringtone programs?

Comments

• I bought Areth's theme about a bajillion years ago out of boredom and have just been using that.
  • Just use audacity to cut whatever mp3 you want into a short chunk. Never pay for a ringtone.
    Mine is currently The Final Countdown. Come on!
  • After figuring out how to put mp3's on my phone through Bitpim, all I had to was purchase a USB connecter which I got on Amazon for $5, putting customized ringtones was beyond simple.

For a while I had a few Mario Galaxy songs as my main ringer and then Halicali's "Strawberry Chips. Now I'm using the Caramelldansen Speedy Remix version as my current ringtone.

I'm thinking about upgrading my phone this winter, but then I will have to find another cheap way to get ringtones on there. Hopefully Bitpim or some similar program will be usable for whatever phone I purchase.

Also, are there phones out there that let you put your ringtones on random? That would be a cool feature because I love all the ringtones on my phone and having just random ringtones on calls would be fun.
  • edited July 2008
    I currently have "Sulivan Street" by Counting Crows as my ringtone because it has a very quite start and a "soothing" effect. God I love that album.

I used to have that Death Note jingle, or the "L song" from the Death Note Anime.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited July 2008
    I'm thinking about upgrading my phone this winter, but then I will have to find another cheap way to get ringtones on there. Hopefully Bitpim or some similar program will be usable for whatever phone I purchase.
    Most phones just let you set any MP3 as your ringtone.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Most phones just let you set any MP3 as your ringtone.
    Yes. I know this. I'm talking about making it random. Using all the mp3 ringtones you have on your phone as your ringtone, but your phone randomizes it. That's what I'm asking about.
  • I will have to find another cheap way to get ringtones on there
    That's what I was getting at.
  • edited July 2008
    That's what I was getting at.
    What? I'm not sure you are understanding what I'm asking. I know any phone will let you set whatever mp3 you have on your phone as a ringtone.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • It doesn't matter. I just wanted to make clear to you that you don't need any extra software to get MP3s onto most modern phones.
  • Ummm, whats wrong with a normal ring?
  • Ummm, whats wrong with a normal ring?
    Nothing. Some people just prefer to customize their cell phones that way. On my previous phone I had different ringtones to different people who called me as well as text message tones as well. It was pretty nice because when I would hear whatever tone, I would know who was calling me without having too look at the Caller ID.

I really don't talk on the phone as much so most stuff doesn't matter to me as much, however I enjoy having a song I like as a ringtone versus a normal ringer.
  • Beans and Cornbreadby Louis Jordan
    Aha! Now I know what that song is!
    Isn't that some sort of old-timey type song? I think I know it. On TBS they had this program called "Dinner and a Movie". I believe that song was the theme song of it.
  • I currently have Underground by Takeharu Ishimoto (from The World Ends With You), but many of my contacts each have their own ringtones set. I get my ringtones from myxertones.com. Everything is free!
    Isn't that some sort of old-timey type song? I think I know it. On TBS they had this program called "Dinner and a Movie". I believe that song was the theme song of it.
    Yes, that's where I originally heard the song so many years ago.
  • Mine is currently The Final Countdown. Come on!
    I had that for a while, too! Also, I cut a tone from the Arrested Development theme.
    Beans and Cornbreadby Louis Jordan
    Let me get this straight. YOU COULDN'T FIND OUT WHAT SONG SAID, "BEANS AND CORNBREAD" 150 TIMES IN A ROW? I revoke your Google license.
  • I just recorded my brother and I reenacting All Your Base, and it's the perfect length for a ringtone.
  • Let me get this straight. YOU COULDN'T FIND OUT WHAT SONG SAID, "BEANS AND CORNBREAD" 150 TIMES IN A ROW? I revoke your Google license.
    I never thought to look.
  • I really want Stephanie Miller's "Lying Sack of Crap" as sung by a 5 year old girl. Unfortunately, it would be more effort to get it than the ringtone is worth.
  • Tetris. /thread
  • Mine is non-existent. :D I have the choice between several crappy stock tunes, so I picked none. To those of you who wonder, it's a cheapo 20 bucks candybar phone. Although it has an MP3 player, it can't use mp3's as ringtone.
  • edited July 2008
    Phone: Sanyo RL4930 (Candy Bar)
    List of Ringtones:

Daft Punk - Around the World
    Greenday - Basketcase
    They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
    Basshunter - Botten Anna
    "Buttons" Ft. Snoop Dog
    Eric Prydz - Call On Me
    50 Cent - Candy Shop
    Don Omar - Conteo
    Soulja Boy - Crank That
    O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei
    Five for Fighting - Falling for The First Time
    Gorrillaz - Feel Good Inc.
    Ome Henk - Opblaaskrokodil
    Sean Paul - Get Busy
    Voice - Hey Sexy, Answer the phone. You never know who might be calling.
    "In the dark of the night" from Anastasia
    Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Good
    Earth Wind and Fire - Let's Groove
    Glenn Miller - Moonlight Seranade
    Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
    The Offspring - Original Prankster
    Hall & Oates - Out of Touch
    The Pink Panther Theme
    Chamillionare - Ridin' Dirty
    Benny Benassi - Satisfaction
    ZZ-Top - Sharp Dressed Man
    Sheryl Crow - Soak up the Sun
    Kanye West - Stronger
    Super Mario Bros. Theme
    Weird Al - Trash Day
    Aqua - Candyman
    They Might be Giants - untangle the phone cord
    They Might Be Giants - I wish I had Caller ID
    Voice - I know you're busy, so I wouldnt be bothering you, But someone's calling.
    Glados - Alright, keep doing whatever it is you think you're doing. What's you're point anyway? Look, you're wasting your time. Dont believe me? Here, I'll put you on. ~Heloooo~ That's you, That's how dumb you sound!
    Portal Turret - There you are. Gotcha. Coming though! Ow! Hey! Illegal Operation. Dispensing product. Woah! Your business is appreciated. Ow ow ow ow ow!
    Portal - Still Alive
    This Week in Tech Theme
    Lemon Demon - Ultimate Showdown
    Edwin Star - War
    Weird Al - White and Nerdy
    Yakety Sax
    Feist - 1234
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Nothing. I always have it on vibrate.
  • On my first cellphone it was just the default ringing. Motorola StarTAC ftw. On my second phone, I might have put in a custom ringtone, but I forget. I think I might have just done another built-in ring. On my third phone I did the whole Phoenix Wright thing. Silver Samurai by default, but the suspenseful Phoenix Wright music for my parents. On the iPhone my ringtone is Lush from Tribes 2. I will slowly put in custom tones for different people over time.
  • White Ash by the Pillows from the FLCL OST
    Really? The more I know about you, the more I like you, Miss Viga! ^_^
  • edited July 2008
    Nothing. I always have it on vibrate.
    Kinky.

EDIT: Personally, I just have one of the default ringtones that came with my phone. Though, when I stop being lazy, I'm going to make either "The Piano Has Been Drinking" or "Misery is the River of the World" by Tom Waits into a ringtone.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    Same here...or I just put it on silent and not care.
  • I use "A Hard Day's Night" by the Beatles. Old(er) music FTW!
  • I just made a Suicide Is Painless (M*A*S*H) ringtone. Booyah, I say. Boo. Yah.