This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help! I got Sharpie stains on my t-shirt!

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
I know this isn't exotically the place to ask does anyone else know how to get toothpaste stains and sharpie stains out of a light blue t-shirt. I was using my sharpie and I dropped it on my t-shirt. Then I read that toothpaste helps get it out but now I have sharpie stains and toothpaste stains. Can anyone help me out here?

Title edited for clarity.

Comments

• What type of fabric is the shirt made of?
  • It says "100% preshrunk cotton."
  • Try this.

Another option is nail polish remover. Be careful!
  • Per Bob Vila

Per Thriftyfun.com

I say you should take pics of this so you can share with the forum.
  • On most fabrics (other than incredibly delicate ones), I recommend pouring a concentrated laundry detergent (just skip the spray-n-wash and similar products as their active ingredient is the same as laundry detergents, and laundry detergents have a high concentration of the active ingredient) directly on to the stain. Then rub the fabric against itself for several minutes (circular motion usually works faster, but it gets you the same results). Then wash the article as usual. DO NOT DRY IT! Once washed, if the stain is completely gone, then go ahead and dry it. If the stain is partially gone, repeat the process one more time in the hopes of chipping away at it a bit more. If the stain hasn't budged even faded, then the stain may not be removable and you might have to buy a new shirt.
  • edited July 2008
    Rubbing alocohol should be your first course of action. This is because the ink is n-propanol based, the rubbing alcohol will act as a solvent on the ink.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Rubbing alocohol should be your first course of action. This is because the ink is propanol based, the rubbing alcohol will act as a solvent on the ink.
    Alcohol is unlikely to damage most fabrics, so this method couldn't hurt. ^_^
  • edited July 2008
    Rubbing alocohol should be your first course of action. This is because the ink is propanol based, the rubbing alcohol will act as a solvent on the ink.
    Elaboration: Make sure you use Isopropyl Alcohol.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Save yourself some time and buy a new shirt.
  • edited July 2008
    Save yourself some time and buy a new shirt.
    Unless you like the shirt and can't replace it with an identical shirt, or that you think that 5 minutes worth of cleaning is worth less than getting in your car, driving to a store, finding a shirt to replace it, trying on shirts, purchasing one (assuming you find one to replace), and driving home (or if you buy it online, waiting for days to get it back and paying for shipping).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • (or if you buy it online, waiting for days to get it back and paying for shipping).
    I can't remember the last time I paid any significant amount of money for shipping, or the last time shipping to an unreasonable amount of time.
  • edited July 2008
    (or if you buy it online, waiting for days to get it back and paying for shipping).
    I can't remember the last time I paid any significant amount of money for shipping, or the last time shipping to an unreasonable amount of time.
    It is more than you would spend if you got the stain out, since you wouldn't have to buy a replacement. Not to mention how wasteful it is to get trow out something that is salvageable.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    Oh Scott, you consumer whore! <3

Anyway. Speaking from experience, alcohol works quite well against sharpie stains. Waste Not, Want Not.
    Oh Scott, you consumer whore! <3</p>
    Scott should just wear disposable paper clothes. Purchase them in bulk every month and throw them away at the end of everyday. Why waste time washing and drying clothes when you can just throw them away?
    Scott should just wear disposable paper clothes. Purchase them in bulk every month and throw them away at the end of everyday. Why waste time washing and drying clothes when you can just throw them away?
    What if it rains?
  • What if it rains?
    Naked Scott?
  • What if it rains?
    Disposable poncho.
  • What if it rains?
    Hmm... You're right, that is a problem.... I know! don't wear clothes at all! it's perfect!
    Why waste time eating and drinking when you could ingest protein and water from an IV drip?

Why waste time using the bathroom when you could use a catheter and a colostomy bag?

Why waste time and energy breathing if you could just buy an iron lung?
  • Why waste time eating and drinking when you could ingest protein and water from an IV drip? Why waste time using the bathroom when you could use a catheter and a colostomy bag? Why waste time and energy breathing if you could just buy an iron lung?
    Epic chortles!
  • Why waste time eating and drinking when you could ingest protein and water from an IV drip? Why waste time using the bathroom when you could use a catheter and a colostomy bag? Why waste time and energy breathing if you could just buy an iron lung?
    Epic chortles!
    Think of all the extra time you could have in which to consume media.
  • edited July 2008
    Save yourself some time and buy a new shirt.
    Oh Scott, you consumer whore! <3

Anyway. Speaking from experience, alcohol works quite well against sharpie stains. Waste Not, Want Not.</p>
    Ending is better than mending! The more stitches, the less riches!
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Rubbing alocohol should be your first course of action. This is because the ink is propanol based, the rubbing alcohol will act as a solvent on the ink.
    Elaboration: Make sure you use Isopropyl Alcohol.
    Or 95% ethanol. 70% can work too, but not nearly as well.

Time to break out the Everclear.
  • Wait, weren't you the clutz that let that smoke bomb go off in his room?
    At the fear of awakening Mr. Period:
    IN 4 PWNAGE lolololmao!!!!!!1oneeleven
    No, it wasn't ninjarabbi.