This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DVD region questions

edited July 2008 in Technology
My friend just built a new computer and was wondering about DVD regions. I know that DVD drives are region 0 by default, then get region locked at the first disk put in. Then I remember hearing on the podcast that if you use linux, it doesn't lock you in....is that true or am I just remembering BS? If it is true, are there any details anyone would like to point out that I happen to be missing?

Comments

• As far as I know, region locking is a software thing, not a hardware thing.
  • DVDs are the most visible example of regional lockout. Computer DVD drives come from the factory with RPC (Regional Playback Control), either RPC-1 (older drives) or RPC-2 (newer drives). The difference between the two is that RPC-1 means the player software (outside and separate from the drive) has the responsibility of enforcing the region control, while in RPC-2, it is enforced by the drive's firmware. It means that RPC-1 drives, driven by an appropriate player program, can play DVDs from any region (0-8) while RPC-2 drives play only from a particular region (although the region code can be changed 5 times, after which the code is locked).
    I remember reading something about 'breaking' all five resets on RPC-2 drives without changing the region code, effectively locking it as region-0 forever.
  • I just bought a copy of Slysoft AnyDVD for Windows. Sure, it was a lot of money, but it is worth it. It is really slick, and it makes every DVD "just work" in Windows regardless of region or encryption. It's the perfect companion to handbrake. There are some free apps out there that do the same thing, but they did not impress me.
  • I wonder how it locks the region though; Is it strictly firmware? or is it something physical as well?
  • I wonder how it locks the region though; Is it strictly firmware? or is it something physical as well?
    It's firmware. You can get software that will flash your DVD drive, but that stuff always looks shady
  • edited July 2008
    DVD regions are the biggest bullshit ever. I do my whole rant, but it's too long.
    What you can probably do is buy two drives and lock each to one region, one for the US and one for Japan or whatever country you want it to be. VLC does a pretty good job of getting around it as well. It's not perfect but it works. for example, My Japanese Gundam SEED DVD won't do chapter jumps and the menu dose not work. You can also try using DVD ripper, that works a lot of time to get rid of regions.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on