This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aliens exist (supposedly)

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
Got this off of Slashdot. Is this supposed to be a joke? Linky

Comments

• Just because you're an astronaut doesn't mean you're not crazy.
  • This guy is also the same guy to held ESP "experiments" when he went to space.
  • Erm, right. I'd love it if he's right, they'd be rioting on the streets. Didn't he also say something about aliens on the moon a few years back?
  • This does bring up something interesting. Many people here seem to hold the opinion that, once any person expresses a belief in something irrational, then that person no longer deserves any respect. Now, this guy is obviously deluded in at least one part of his life, but doesn't he have a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering? That's not a subject that just anyone can bullshit their way through. Also, he's had a pretty impressive military career in addition to being an astronaut.

So, does his belief in this one crazy thing mean that we shouldn't believe anything else he says?
  • So, does his belief in this one crazy thing mean that we shouldn't believe anything else he says?
    It's no different than a Mike Tyson, Hans Reiser, or Michael Jackson situation. All of them are extremely talented individuals, far more talented than most other people. However, it seems as if they sacrificed their own humanity in some way to acquire that talent. The way I handle it is I respect their body of work, but I disrespect them as human beings.
  • So, does his belief in this one crazy thing mean that we shouldn't believe anything else he says?
    It means I generally stop respecting their non-professional opinion, and become suspect of any statements they make that are not verifiable independently.
  • Isn't that a little harsh?

Do his beliefs make him any less credible in other areas? For instance, would you disbelieve anything he said about Aeronautical Engineering just because he has some wacky beliefs about aliens?
  • Do his beliefs make him any less credible in other areas? For instance, would you disbelieve anything he said about Aeronautical Engineering just because he has some wacky beliefs about aliens?
    Rym clearly said he stops respecting their non-professional opinion.
  • Do his beliefs make him any less credible in other areas?
    Any areas not directly related to his field of expertise that require rationality? You bet.
    would you disbelieve anything he said about Aeronautical Engineering just because he has some wacky beliefs about aliens?
    Aeronautical Engineering is his field of expertise, and he has a proven track record. It's also a field where independent verification is possible. I would take any reasonable claim related directly to said field seriously, but I would be dubious of any unverifiable or unreasonable claim. Were he not proven to be kooky otherwise, then I would much more open to his unreasonable or extraordinary assertions within his own field.