This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good PC controllers

edited July 2008 in Video Games
I'm looking to get a gamepad for my PC to use for Roms and whatnot. Any recommendations?

Systems being emulated: GBA, SNES, NES, and MAME (but that doesn't really need a controller...)
Price range being somewhere between $10-30. Not really looking to get a 360 controller. They're too expensive.

Comments

• Find something like this:
  • If you're running Windows, the 360 controller is definitely where it's at. AFAIK you dont' need to buy the special "for Windows" one, unless you want to go wireless. You can get a normal wired XBox 360 controller, and it will work. You might even be able to get a used one at GameStop. Don't get a crummy third party controller like the one Foofly linked. They are all cheap pieces of junk that will hurt your hands.

Omnutia's idea is very good. If you already own a PlayStation, just get something that converts your Playstation controllers to USB. You won't have to buy additional controllers, just an adapter. If you don't have a Playstation, you can get similar adapters that allow you to connect NES, SNES, and GameCube controllers, so the adapter option isn't limited to Sony. Microsoft doesn't need the adapter because it's USB already.
  • Do they have adapters that allow you to connect the GameCube memory cards to your USB port?
  • Do they have adapters that allow you to connect the GameCube memory cards to your USB port?
    IIRC Dexdrive made them back in the day. I know they definitely made them for PS1/2 memory cards. This is something you could answer with Google.
  • I bought a Logitech Dual Action controller, it's a lot like the PlayStation 2 controller. But, I can't get the left analog to work. It's not as smooth of movement either. it's kinda blocky.
  • I second Scott's recommendation of a wired 360 controller. I have one and it works great.
  • I second Scott's recommendation of a PS2 to usb adapter. I have one and it works great.
  • I got this thing. It's cheap and it works perfectly.
  • edited July 2008
    I gotthisthing. It's cheap and it works perfectly.
    I'm considering it. I got the Logitech with the dual analog sticks (which cost another $10). Kinda worthless...I was hoping it would work pretty good in racing games like Fzero and Mario Kart...but ultimately the d pad is just better...so I'm considering just buying that $10 one.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I gotthisthing. It's cheap and it works perfectly.
    I'll vouch for that one. I have two of them for emulator games, and I couldn't imagine any way they could be better. They're also so cheap.
  • I gotthisthing. It's cheap and it works perfectly.
    The problem with that is then you have to use a PS2 controller, which if you have big hands is not very comfortable.

I need to steal my controller back from my brother and get some emulators going.
  • edited July 2008
    then you have to use a PS2 controller
    Uh, did you even look at the link? It's a logitech controller. It has nothing to do with PS2 controllers.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • then you have to use a PS2 controller
    Uh, did you even look at the link? It's a logitech controller. It has nothing to do with PS2 controllers.
    nooo it seems...wow, epic fail.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, a PS2 to USB adapter is pretty cool, but is it more useful than a PS/2 to USB adapter?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Oh no. Stop trying to confuse everyone Cheese.