This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Keyboard/Mouse play on a PS3

edited July 2008 in Video Games
I've looked up several ways to do this and they usually involve buying an adapter that's well above the price I want to pay for the ability to own console players. I know that in all honesty, I know I should just stick to FPS'ing on PC, but I have this 500 dollar machine and I wanna put as much use to it as possible. Anyone have an idea as to how to pull this off cheaply?

Comments

• Wait, didn't the PS3 have USB ports for keyboards and mouses?
  • The adapter is the only way AFAIK.

Your problem seems to be that you aren't getting enough use from your PS3. The solution is not to get a mouse and keyboard for the PS3. The solution is to go and get some good non-fps games for it. I mean, does it have any good fpses in the first place? Go get some of the cool PS3 games I keep seeing like Little Big Planet and such. You can play your fpses on the PC, and use your PS3 for what it does best. If none of the PS3 games are striking your fancy, just sell it. Don't sell it to EB/Gamestop though.
  • Yes, it does. However, it doesn't let you play games with them. It has to be specifically supported and the only game to have done that is Unreal Tournament whichever-version-came-out-on-PS3. I want to be able to do it with Call of Duty 4 and the upcoming Resistance 2.
  • I'm waiting impatiently for LittleBigPlanet, but it won't be out for a few months. And while I see your point with not playing FPS's, it's all that my friends who also have PS3's play. I doubt I'll even get them to come back from the shadowy depths of the PS3 to play Left 4 Dead on Steam when it drops. My best hope is to set up a good party here on the forum and get a nice game of that going.
  • I'm waiting impatiently for LittleBigPlanet, but it won't be out for a few months. And while I see your point with not playing FPS's, it's all that my friends who also have PS3's play. I doubt I'll even get them to come back from the shadowy depths of the PS3 to play Left 4 Dead on Steam when it drops. My best hope is to set up a good party here on the forum and get a nice game of that going.
    If its playing with your existing friends that is more important to you, just play whatever game they are playing however they are playing it.

If playing some quality games is more important to you, and your friends won't come along for the ride, play without them. We're not talking about local multiplayer here. We're talking about online multiplayer. If you want to play a PC fps, play on public servers. Join the player community. Join the forum for the game. Maybe even join a clan. Heck, you don't even need to do that. I'm sure many people in this forum will be playing Left 4 Dead. I know I will be. Just play with us. Right now I'm playing Natural Selection.

Also, since the ideal situation is to get all your friends to play the PC fpses, here's some tips to get them to switch it up. Don't try to actively convince them to play. Just keep playing Natural Selection, or Counter-Strike, or whatever. They will realize on their own that you have stopped playing the PS3 fpses, and have moved on to something else. They will eventually ask what you are playing. Just casually say "Left 4 Dead". Don't say anything else except the title of the game. You don't have to say anything. They will know, without you saying anything, that you think that playing Left 4 Dead on the PC with strangers on the Internet is better than playing whatever PS3 fps with them. When they realize you think that, they will investigate. I personally guarantee they will start to ask questions. Just answer their questions, but tell them nothing more.

Thus, you will have made the transition from follower to leader. It really is that simple to be a leader. Don't do what your friends do. Don't be afraid that your friends won't follow you if you do something different. I guarantee you that if you do something different, your friends will follow you. This is the recipe for awesome.
  • Get the Keyboard and Mouse and install Ubuntu on it. Compiz Fusion should scream.
  • Right now I'm playing Natural Selection.
    I have been curious to try this out. I'll install it later tonight. As for the rest of your point, I do agree with most of it. But you know how you get used to how other people play video games with you? Like, in a clan situation, you know what's expected of you and what you expect from your teammates? That's what I have with my circle of friends.

w/e, new gaming friends it is. I just hope you guys can keep up the "madd fps skillz" when were fighting for survival in Left 4 Dead.
  • w/e, new gaming friends it is. I just hope you guys can keep up the "madd fps skillz" when were fighting for survival in Left 4 Dead.
    Bring it on! And don't worry. I still guarantee your friends will switch over and play Left 4 Dead with us. Just give them some time.
  • I still guarantee your friends will switch over and play Left 4 Dead with us. Just give them some time.
    Out of curiousity, how much would it cost to get a nice size Ventrilo server up? Like 15 slots? Or should we get a count of how many people are gonna play before we do something like that?
  • I still guarantee your friends will switch over and play Left 4 Dead with us. Just give them some time.
    Out of curiousity, how much would it cost to get a nice size Ventrilo server up? Like 15 slots? Or should we get a count of how many people are gonna play before we do something like that?
    Skype conference is good enough IMHO.
  • edited July 2008
    If you want to pay for one, ask Google. Really, it isn't necessary to get a server. All Steam fps games have built-in voice chat. The Steam friends and groups feature also allows voice chat.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2008
    The Steam friends and groups feature also allows voice chat.
    I haven't used the Steam feature. My old CS 1.6 clan always had a Ventrilo server going.

20 slots for 13 a month doesn't seem bad.
    Post edited by Classic on
  • edited July 2008
    I haven't used the Steam feature. My old CS 1.6 clan always had a Ventrilo server going.
    20 slots for 13 a month doesn't seem bad.
    Anyone playing Left 4 Dead on PC will have to use Steam. There's no choice, since it's a Valve game. Considering that Steam is free and has infinity slots, even $1 a year is bad.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The Steam friends feature is definitely quality. I wish more people would use the Geeknights chat room...
  • The Steam friends feature is definitely quality. I wish more people would use the Geeknights chat room...
    If you see someone online, invite them to the chat.
  • I wish more people would use the Geeknights chat room...
    I probably would if this wasn't the first I heard of it.
  • I'll sit around in the chat whenever I'm on Steam. You can see if anyone's in the chat when you look at your community tab.
  • Natural Selection installed and working. Anytime one of you wants to show me how the fuck the thing plays, let me know.
  • Natural Selection installed and working. Anytime one of you wants to show me how the fuck the thing plays, let me know.
    I can teach everyone how to play. We just need to find a server that isn't public. If we try to teach on a pub server, then there will either be bots there killing us, or there will be real people coming in to play.
  • I know you were trying to get a server going yesterday but I couldn't stick around. How did that work out?
  • I know you were trying to get a server going yesterday but I couldn't stick around. How did that work out?
    It worked. :)
  • I get it now. Nineless has figured out how to overlay "I suck" onto the post immediately before his.
  • I get it now. Nineless has figured out how to overlay "I suck" onto the post immediately before his.
    His avatar is basically "I suck" atop a bunch of white space.